Need advice on XBMC/NAS setup
Hey guys,

I need some advice on what I should do cause im pretty new to all this. I just purchased this:- HP ProLiant Microserver (Specs - http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/44381) just cause i thought it was a good bargain and i hope it can do what i need it for. I bought this intending for it to be both a NAS server and a HTPC.

I currently have all my media in my Desktop computer which is next to my TV (Sony Bravia with DLNA). My current setup is a direct HDMI connection from my TV to my computer as a 2nd monitor. I mainly bought this server to store all my media, and be able to download torrents/nzbs remotely using my iphone, and watch them on my TV without going through my computer preferably.

Questions i have:-
1 - Is the 1GB ram on that server enough?
2 - I believe i need to purchase a graphic card for this to get HDMI as i dont have any audio output. Once again, this is my HTPC and file server, is this recommended? This HP Proliant Micro-server has a graphic card slot and is i dont mind spending to buy one as it's on board VGA wont do due to no audio output.
3 - Did i buy the right hardware as someone told me im not making full use of the server if i setup XBMC alone. How well does XBMC manage files and what can a NAS OS (like FreeNAS) do over XBMC alone?
4 - From what i understand, i can just unplug my hard disk from my desktop running Win XP that has all my multimedia files, and XBMC will be able to read them?
5 - What are recommended hard disk based on my HP Micro-server? Does it matter if its SATA2/3? Should i go for a higher or lower RPM?

Appreciate any help i can get, and apologise once again for any silly questions. cheers.
kalamingo Wrote:this is my HTPC and file server, is this recommended?

not at all...
whats recommended is having a seperate HTPC and a seperate NAS...
idea is always to have a single central media storage
that feeds HTPC's around your house...
thanks for the reply.

I am going to install FreeNAS on my HP Micro-Server, buy 4x2TB hard disk, and store all my media there. I am still wondering tho, if it is possible to run XBMC live on a flash drive connected to this HP micro-server, and run both my NAS server and HTPC off this one box. Besides the challenges of graphic/ram upgrades needed, can this be pulled off? This would be more of a temporary solution until i can build another PC to use as a HTPC.
kalamingo Wrote:thanks for the reply.

I am going to install FreeNAS on my HP Micro-Server, buy 4x2TB hard disk, and store all my media there. I am still wondering tho, if it is possible to run XBMC live on a flash drive connected to this HP micro-server, and run both my NAS server and HTPC off this one box. Besides the challenges of graphic/ram upgrades needed, can this be pulled off? This would be more of a temporary solution until i can build another PC to use as a HTPC.

I'm not sure this is possible. You either use some sort of software RAID + xbmc on the same machine or use dedicated machines for each. I have built several unRAIDs based on the Micro server and they are simply brilliant. You can fit 6 drives (4 Data + Parity + Cache) in them and they use so little power.
XBMC Live: i3 530 / GT210 / 2GB / SSD + 2 x Zotac HD01 / 2GB / SSD
unRAID Pro: 6 x 1TB + 2 x 1.5TB + 2 x 2TB + 2 x 500G over GbE
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix
i dont use it but FLEXRAID can be used on top of your OS...
so, i guess XBMC + RAID would be possible on the same machine...
but having 2 seperate boxes would be better in terms of energy usage. As the server will be running 24*7. While the HTPC can go in standby and use very little power.
jwlb Wrote:but having 2 seperate boxes would be better in terms of energy usage. As the server will be running 24*7. While the HTPC can go in standby and use very little power.

Indeed they do. The HP Micro servers take about 30Wh in idle which makes them an incredibly good choice for a home media NAS.
XBMC Live: i3 530 / GT210 / 2GB / SSD + 2 x Zotac HD01 / 2GB / SSD
unRAID Pro: 6 x 1TB + 2 x 1.5TB + 2 x 2TB + 2 x 500G over GbE
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need advice on XBMC/NAS setup0