Local Network - Buffersize @ Videos
Hey

i got some Problem with the streaming of my HD content. I dont even know how this could be possible but i get "buffering" every few minutes. 720p content is able to be played without buffering in 99%. 1080p buffers every few minutes like i said... depending on the filesize.

here is my config:

- zotac fusion itx wifi
- 4gb ddr3
- vertex 2 ssd
- 1gbit lan

when i copy a file from the streaming server directly to the htpc the speed is arround 70-80mb
so i cant realy explain why i got these problems. i use xbmc for few years now and never got these problem - not even with lower hardware.
i formatted the htpc ofc because of the new hardware like the new zotac board. so it is a fresh system with the newest drivers.
i know there was o option in a older version of xbmc to set up the cache / buffersize @ video and audio playback. in the new version there is no option anymore.
so can i edit it in any config or something like that?

could need some help :/

ps: sorry for bad english. german guy here Wink
I'm having the same problem. Windows 7, Dharma 10.1, Aeon MQ2 2.8.1. Running off my Netgear NV+ (4tb) and Synology DS1010+ (10tb) NAS servers.

.ISO files and 1080p videos are incredibly slow and constantly pause to buffer. Essentially anything over a 2gb file size seems to be affected. I'm (finally) upgrading my 24 port switch to gigabit, but it seems many others are having these problems even with gigabit. Is there some kind of solution?
Ok i have located the problem (for me). There is an Option "adjust refreshrate" or something like that in the video playback options. when this is enabled all high def content is going to buffer like crazy. disable this option (and restart xbmc!!) and there is no more buffering.
really? wow. Why would refresh rate affect streaming like that....

this problem has come up over and over again, so obviously many people suffer from buffering issues. Can anyone else confirm this?
Question 
sili.coon Wrote:Ok i have located the problem (for me). There is an Option "adjust refreshrate" or something like that in the video playback options. when this is enabled all high def content is going to buffer like crazy. disable this option (and restart xbmc!!) and there is no more buffering.
Hello,

Thanks for this very useful tip :-)

In (Home menu)/SYSTEM/System/Video output
I cannot change the Refresh Rate from 50 or 60, because it seems fixed by the display screen's EDID, and no more choice..)

But, in (Home menu)/SYSTEM/Video/Playback/, I founded :

Adjust display refresh rate to match video (On/Off)

2 Questions:
-> Must we also deactivate the other setting "Sync playback to display" ?
-> Is-it another setup useful for the best HD video playing ?

Thanks for all :-)
Jean-Max

OpenELEC on 2 ZBOX
KODI on 4 Windows PC
Well posted too early. Problem not fixed. I tried 4 different versions now.
If i change the video settings (refresh rate adjust for example or synchonize) and close XBMC and restart it every ~5th time the playback is ok and no buffering is going on.
i dont know whats the damn problem here. it sucks

the cpu runs @ arroud 20-25% when playing 1080p mkv (~30gb file)
the ram usage is arround 2gb (4gb installed)
same problem here since a few weeks with
-core i3
-gigabyte ga-h55n-usb3
-4gb ram
-320gb hdd
-win7 + 10.1 XBMC

using my WHS as a source for MakeMKV-generated BluRay copies

never had any problems, up to 3-5 weeks ago, when 1080p.mkv's startet buffering every couple of minutes.

PCs connected via gigabit switch, copying works in win7 with 50-75MB/s

can we set the buffer size manually?
CappuHB Wrote:never had any problems, up to 3-5 weeks ago, when 1080p.mkv's startet buffering every couple of minutes.

PCs connected via gigabit switch, copying works in win7 with 50-75MB/s

can we set the buffer size manually?

thats the funny thing about it... it worked for years for me with realy old hardware (E6xx 2GB Ram GF 7600GT 100mbit lan) This mashine worked for years with full HD. Before i switched to the new system few weeks ago the buffering already started with the old system.
Now with the new System every 10th time you start XBMC it plays the 1080 without any buffering. Then the next movie - no buffering. 3rd movie no buffering. 4th movie and then buffering begins?! Shutdown XBMC few times and after few tries the movies plays as well without any buffering. There must be some bug - realy
OK ; The problem is not totally solved

Question : Can we try solving the buffer problem by increasing the total amount of RAM on the media player ?
For example, we can have 8Gb ddr3-1066 RAM in latest media players, like Zotac ZBOX with AMD fusion platform ( AD02 etc..)
(I have 4Gb ram on my ZBOX ID11 + XBMC Cd-Live 0.1 on SSD)

Thanks for any idea and .. experience :-)
Jean-Max

OpenELEC on 2 ZBOX
KODI on 4 Windows PC
Same EXCACT problem for me... Plays back fine every so often, but buffers constantly most of the time. Problem is solved by copying the file to a local drive, which happens at at least 50 MB/s
I have spent this past weekend battling this "buffering" problem on my setup. What I can't figure out is WHY it started--my setup has been stable for weeks and months using Dharma.

Strange thing on my setup is that a 1080p MPEG2 TS file (5-15 Mbps) plays just fine, but 720p (5 Mbps) x264 MKV buffers randomly. All files had been playing fine just last week, Tuesday/Wednesday! Now over the weekend, I've spent hours modifying, rebooting routers, server and client to no avail. Really infuriating.

The only thing I haven't tried is changing from using Samba. Sad
Would appreciate some help. Pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/A8D7Cfan

Need to add that all of them play with no problems over Samba using MPC-HC.
@NainoKami: exactly, copying works just fine with speeds >50MB/s , and playback via MPC-HC or even VLC works fine, only XBMC buffers like crazy
I had that buffering issue on dharma and openelec, but not on the latest nightly. Something to try for you guys...
This has just stated happening to me as well. I have a storage server running ubuntu server 11.04. and a ubuntu 11.04 desktop running xbmc (dharma). playback is fine most of the time except when streaming full bluray disks (mt2s files) it stops to buffer every 5 minutes. Did any one get anywhere with this or is?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Local Network - Buffersize @ Videos0