questions about font licenses
Heya,

I have 2 questions on font licenses:

1. When a font license type says "Free for personal use", would that mean that it can be used in open source software?
2. When i buy a font from a site like fonts.com, does that make it legal to use the font in an xbmc skin (in the repo)?

Any help on this will be very much appreciated!
I think the answer is 'no' to both questions but I'd wait until someone more knowledgeable on the subject answers before buying anything.
Sinvida Wrote:I have 2 questions on font licenses:

1. When a font license type says "Free for personal use", would that mean that it can be used in open source software?
2. When i buy a font from a site like fonts.com, does that make it legal to use the font in an xbmc skin (in the repo)?

Any help on this will be very much appreciated!

Hopefully someone else will come along and answer these better than I can, but in the meantime:

1. No. There are a few considerations here, but the biggest deal-breaker is that "personal use" doesn't cover distribution of the font. You can think of it as meaning "only you, personally, will be seeing the use of the font", which is way not the same as including it for use in a distributed product, commercially or otherwise. Having said that, most people that actually license their fonts for free personal use would probably not have a problem making an exception for an open-source project and could license it to you for nothing/peanuts, but "free for personal use" doesn't cover what you're trying to do.

2. Not likely. Again, you want to know the terms by which you're allowed to distribute the font. Using a font is one thing, but making the font available for other people to use is a very different thing (especially since the binary file is freely accessible in XBMC). If you hosted your own repo and reasonably did your due diligence about making sure the font didn't prohibit distribution you would almost certainly be fine, but the official repo will probably be a no-go unless you have concrete proof that you have a license that allows distribution.

This is a big issue with fonts on the web, since using a font file in someone else's browser is distribution. There are some free webfont directories that have fonts with licenses that allow for distribution if you want to find fonts that are more likely to be usable in this scenario....
First, if you won't "free" fonts I recommend you DaFont.

As long as we are talking about installing and bundle with software here you have what you can and can't do (in a simple way) with the fonts...

Public domain: You can truly do whatever you want.

Free: You can do whatever you want with it, donation is not available through the page you are downloading or author doesn't ask for well deserved retribution.

Donationware: You can do whatever you want with it, donation is available through the page you are downloading or author ask for well deserved retribution by other means.

Free for personal use: You can use it, you can't bundle with software, you can always buy a license, the price depends in the use generally, you can even get a "license" free sometimes, others it's as low as a dollar, a symbolic donation.

"Pay or Die": Basic (5 Pcs) / Site License (fixed number of Pcs in given locations) / Corporate License (basically you can bundle with the software, no limit of Pcs or related). This are usually pretty expensive.

Once you have the font installed in your system you can use it in any graphic work you do, commercial or whatever, font still cannot be bundle.

But there are some loopholes as always, for example the best Unicode fonts are expensive as hell if there's even the possibility of buying a license, the best in my opinion are from Adobe, and they don't have corporate license.

But many of them are bundle with basic software from adobe, like adobe reader. So all you have to do is point to the path were the fonts are installed and you are clear, you didn't bundle and you are not violating any license, you can do the same with any font bundle with Windows or whatever. The only problem could be when user doesn't install in the default path, for what you could use a fallback anyway. Pity XBMC doesn't allow this or I didn't find a way of making it happen.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
questions about font licenses0