[AppleTV2] Installing XBMC
So I am new to jailbreaking and the appletv was my first. I used Seas0nPass to jailbreak the atv2 which not only jailbroke the device but also installed xbmc for me. I then installed the crackle plugin however it would crash so I updated to the nightly build which worked fine. I however saw that the Launcher can update nightly builds etc but you need to login as frontrow.

Well I don't have a frontrow user according to my passwd file and can only login as root. Not only that the research I have done says logs are stored in the frontrow logs directory but I don't have a frontrow directory.

Have I skipped something when it comes installing xbmc? Should I not have used seas0npass to install xbmc?
I don't know the solution, but I can say that I had a similar time following guides because some directories just didn't exist on my ATV2. Maybe they change things around with different updates?

Anyway, before anyone more knowledgeable comes around, you'll probably want to at least post what software version your ATV2 is running Wink
I don't know ... but are you mixing up instructions for ATV1 and ATV2 somehow?
Why not use Greenpois0n instead of SeasOnPass ? That worked perfectely for me, no hassle with SSH or custom image Wink You have to ensure that 4.1.1 is displayed on the ATV2 which is in fact a 4.2.1 firmware.

I followed these instructions on YT for untethered JB with Greenpois0n

Part 1, JB with Greenpois0n
Part 2, Install NitoTV & XBMC

Greetings
angryjack
Apple-TV2 with JB 4.2.1, XBMC Eden with Quartz skin
angryjack Wrote:Why not use Greenpois0n instead of SeasOnPass ? That worked perfectely for me, no hassle with SSH or custom image Wink You have to ensure that 4.1.1 is displayed on the ATV2 which is in fact a 4.2.1 firmware.

I followed these instructions on YT for untethered JB with Greenpois0n

Part 1, JB with Greenpois0n
Part 2, Install NitoTV & XBMC

Greetings
angryjack

Your links link to a video that says it is outdated and then directs users to use Seas0nPass
jostster Wrote:So I am new to jailbreaking and the appletv was my first. I used Seas0nPass to jailbreak the atv2 which not only jailbroke the device but also installed xbmc for me. I then installed the crackle plugin however it would crash so I updated to the nightly build which worked fine. I however saw that the Launcher can update nightly builds etc but you need to login as frontrow.

Well I don't have a frontrow user according to my passwd file and can only login as root. Not only that the research I have done says logs are stored in the frontrow logs directory but I don't have a frontrow directory.

Have I skipped something when it comes installing xbmc? Should I not have used seas0npass to install xbmc?

It does sound like you're using the wrong instructions. I've never seen Launcher being used to upgrade XBMC nightly builds on the atv2. What instructions are you using exactly? If you share the URL it'll be pretty easy for folks here to confirm if they're the right ones.

The only instructions I know for sure will work with the semi-nightly atv2 XBMC builds are here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=97246
Im thinking of getting an AppleTv and connect a WD My book 1TB external harddrive.

The problem I have today with the harddrive is when I connect it to my macbook and watch some movies from the external harddrive, the harddrives fan starts and is very disturbing.

The solution to this is to copy the movies to the macbooks harddrive and watch it from there, but how can I do that on the AppleTV?

Is there any program to stream and buffer from the external harddrive? Like when I watch a movie from internet. The entire movie buffers and then the harddrive can go to sleep...?

Does any have a solution?
Not sure if there's anything that's going to let your hard drive sleep while streaming video from it though. I leave my current video on my Mac and share it via SMB to the ATV2.

You could always upgrade the hard drive in your Macbook so you'd have room to keep some video files on it. Another approach is to plug the drive into something like the Pogo Plug and wire it into your network. That might let you move the drive to a spot you can't hear it.
jostster Wrote:Your links link to a video that says it is outdated and then directs users to use Seas0nPass

The link change and its directing you guys for newer process since old jailbreak don't work, you have to update to leatest, one Smile

follow this its more complete http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99315
video tutorials are more complete and easy to understand then any other you tubers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Installing XBMC1