Back-to-basics interface design
Hi,

I've been using XBMC for over five years (XBMP before) and have really enjoyed seeing it develop over the years. I've got a lot of admiration for those good people who have put in the hours and created such a good piece of software.

I feel though that the interface could be better. For me personally, I want my media centre to be quick and easily accessibly. I don't need sliding windows, transparency everywhere and layer-on-layer of menus which I agree look very nice, but really don't help me listen to music or watch a film.

The main limitation for me is that the Apple TV remote has only 7 buttons, of which 4 are directional. So for this reason the interface should be easily accessible with only a few button presses.

So, my back-to-basics concept! Laugh if you like, it's just a concept which took minutes to put together...

You may recognise the file list from the ye olde WinAmp days, I pulled it straight from a screenshot. But after consideration of all the GUI's I've used in the past for exploring files, I consider the early WinAmp's to be one of the best. It is quick and functional.

The idea is that the menu at the top (Videos, Music etc.) is always on-screen, only the content of the main area changes. Switching from the menu to files is toggled with one button, while directional buttons navigate the menu/files/window panes.

I would very much like to know what other peoples' opinions are on this. Do you think XBMC could use a simpler front-end such as this? What do you consider to be the main drawbacks of the current skins out there now?
using that with a remote would give a new definition to PITA.
gingerbiscuit Wrote:I feel though that the interface could be better. For me personally, I want my media centre to be quick and easily accessibly.

The main limitation for me is that the Apple TV remote has only 7 buttons, of which 4 are directional. So for this reason the interface should be easily accessible with only a few button presses.

Have you tried XeeBo because the whole idea is that it can be controlled with just such a remote?
gingerbiscuit Wrote:I would very much like to know what other peoples' opinions are on this. Do you think XBMC could use a simpler front-end such as this? What do you consider to be the main drawbacks of the current skins out there now?

It's not simpler IMHO. Readability and usability is questionable if you're not using it on desktop with a mouse.

Biggest drawbacks are matter of personal preferences. I have a problem with too much fanart and over extensive graphics, but vast majority of users would disagree.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I forgot to say, the text in the main area would need to be larger in the real thing.

I'll take a look at XeeBo, thanks Hitcher.
Also, on your remote, I've found that many people don't know about the "long press" button functions...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Back-to-basics interface design0