OpenELEV vs XBMC Live
Hi

Just wanted a quick heads up on the whether you guys prefer live or openELEC.

Pros's, con's ??

Thanks
I think the only con with openElec is that is less easy to customize.
I would run openElec on a pure client but since my main htpc doubles as a server I like to have an ubuntu base to build on.
I don't agree, OpenELEC has a samba server to act as a media server plus you can run SABnzbd + CouchPotato + SickBeard from it too.
The only problems I'm having with OpenELEC are
1. Customizing my remote, it's a bit more fiddly then XBMC Live
2. It's being a bit funny with the resolutions on my screens as in it only detects the Max res on my laptop screen (1440x900) and nothing else :~
Ok, it is a matter of taste what your prefer.
I wouldnt base a server on openElec, but if you by server mean a samba share you will be fine of course.
Ironically I actually use Devil-Linux as my Media Server anyway, but like you said, it's a matter of taste.
I must admit I'm loving the fast boot times and small footprint of OpenELEC.
Thanks guys, think I'll give it a try.

Another thing, and maybe I got the wrong idea here, I have a FreeNAS box which also runs sickbeard and sabnzbd. Are you saying I could use openELEC instead of FreeNAS?
You could, but if you've already got FreeNAS setup and working why change?
I only use my HTPC as a server because I have nowhere to put a server. A separate NAS is of course better.
dj_gerbil Wrote:You could, but if you've already got FreeNAS setup and working why change?

Ye no reason to change, It's just that FreeNAS with Sickbeard and Sab are a bit of a hackathon and was about to update to FreeNAS 8 anyway. I was thinking it might be easier to maintain such a box with openELEC.

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEV vs XBMC Live0