So .. what option should I pick for XBMC on my TV?
I've been reading up about XBMC and think it looks absolutely amazing, therefore I'd like to use it on my TV. The problem is I've no idea what setup I need to be able to do this.

Currently I have 6 HDD's of data on a PC running Windows Vista which I want to play on my TV. Currently I use PS3 Media Server to steam over the network to a PS3 to watch movies but this doesn't support XBMC so I need an alternative.

Budget is roughly $600 but this is where I become stuck as I don't know how I get the files to the TV and have the TV show XBMC:

I've heard so many different things mentioned: HTPC, Boxee, AppleTV etc. Could it be as simple as having a HDMI out from the computer to the TV? (I literally have no idea). Would it make more sense to take some of the HDD's out of the computer which have movies etc on and put them into a HTPC or something similar? Options are unlimited within the price-range, whatever would work best.

My requirements are:
- Needs to play 1080p (can be wired over network if needed)
- Non-complicated setting up if possible
- Control XBMC through some sort of remote controller (i.e. how I would currently do it via PS3 controller so I don't have to get up and fiddle with the computer! I do have an Ipad which can be used if necessary)

Sorry for not knowing any more ... I've spent days trying to understand what to do but am stumped !! I'm pretty open with my options on this one.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Just to note TV is Sony 40" 1080p Bravia
I have a similar setup, though all my files are on a server in the cupboard under the stairs. I use a small PC (it's actually a Mac Mini) connected directly to the TV, so the TV acts as the monitor, and I run XBMC on the small PC. XBMC plays the media from my server across the network.

A lot of HTPCs have an HDMI socket on the PC, so you just connect an HDMI cable between the PC and the TV. My Mac Mini doesn't have an HDMI socket, but HDMI and DVI are the same protocol with different connectors, so I just bought a DVI to HDMI cable and used that to connect my Mac to the TV. DVI doesn't carry audio, so I use a separate cable to connect the audio out on the Mac to my amplifier.

JR
I also have my server under the stairs, which is adjacent to my home theater setup.

$600 can take you a long way when purchasing an HTPC, there are a number of mini-pc's out there. I have an older Zotac MAG with a Atom 330 processor that runs 1080p content without a problem, it has an HDMI, VGA, and Toslink, with plenty of USb's and an ESata port, I paid $299 for it about 2 years ago.

You don't need a high powered HTPC to do the job, I have seen some overkill HTPC before, keep it simple and clean.

Reading here the Apple TV 2 is getting some good reports, for 99 bucks you can't go wrong.

Do you have an amplifier for your TV?

A lot of folks go HTPC to Amplifier to TV....or you can just go HTPC to TV.
The options are endless.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks for the replies so far. No, I don't have an amplifier (although looking at some people's setups they do look tempting!! Wink)

So just on the HTPC route you are talking about, what do you use to connect your pc/server with all your files on to your HTPC? USB? Ethernet? HDMI output from PC? I'm unsure of the best way to connect my PC to the HTPC.

If I was building a HTPC I'd then use it to connect to a TV via HDMI - I assume this is all you need to do? (Although I've never seen a HTPC in action before so unsure how they properly work / get XBMC working on them). Then does the HTPC simply pick up your shared network folders on the other PC and be able to play 1080p mkv's no problem? How do you control scrolling through your movies?

Thanks for all your help. Still open to any other suggestions. Very interesting so far though. Smile
I connect my "server" (which can be anything Vista or Win 7 with shared folders or whatever, I have a Windows Home Server box with 4TB of storage) to my HTPC via ethernet. I have 4 computers in my house and all go through one router including my HTPC.

I have my HTPC (running Windows 7) connected via HDMI and SPDIF to my receiver which I hit the button to select to output to my TV. My particular HTPC does not output 5.1 through the HDMI only stereo with Windows 7 OS. With Live it will, but I also use my HTPC for other things more than movies.

In XBMC after you install you need to tell it where to point to, in your particular situation having a share on a Vista Box you would tell it to point there. After XBMC finds your movies you can update your library and wa-la, you are ready to enjoy it all.

I was a bit skeptical of all the software and hardware out there for using as a media center software, but XBMC has surpassed them all.

The forums are the best place for info. and are helpful for tweaking your system for whatever your mood is.

Download XBMC and install it on a PC, MAC, or Live and see how it functions you really need to play with it to get the real deal.
I too have a server with all my files on it but it is under the desk and not the stairs. It is connected to my HTPC via a wired ethernet network. You can use wifi to connect this as well but there may be some streaming issues with 1080p content. The advantage of having your media remotely is that you dont have a large machine with noisy fans whirring away when you are watching content or listening to music. You can use external HDD with USB but again it increases noise.

The HPTC itself is an AsRock ION330HT. Atom chip and NVidia ION GPU. This is fine for all the work I need it to do, inc 1080p content. The HPTC is connected via HDMI direct to the TV and the TV is the primary display for the HTPC. I run audio direct to my amp via SPDIF as it gives better sound that the TV speakers (and the amp has no HDMI inputs). The AsRock comes with a remote so I control the HTPC from the couch with a remote (and have a logitech diNovo mini for the rare times I need full keyboard control).

I suggest that you test out XBMC on your desktop PC. It installs very nicely and doesn't leave bits if you uninstall. You can then explore how XBMC finds the media sources, work out how to set up libraries, explore different skins to use with XBMC etc before you set up a dedicated HTPC. you could even set up all your media ready to go for when you get an HTPC so it works seamlessly. There is a guide to setting up XBMC on Windows located here
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
So .. what option should I pick for XBMC on my TV?0