New HTPC setup for 3D TV
Hi,

I currently have a Acer Revo R3700 connected to the bedroom TV running XBMC. I'm about to upgrade the TV downstairs and I'll be looking to get another HTPC - ideally running XBMC, but I'm open to other suggestions.

The Revo is great but I have noticed some playback issues (minor) that I think are DXVA related - certain video files that break up in places, but playback fine or the issue isn't as bad when viewing on my main PC. I'm thinking it might be worth going for something beefy enough to playback without DXVA - maybe an i3 sandybridge?

My other requirement is 3D playback capabilities. It doesn't look like there is any support for this in XBMC, but it might be possible to configure it to use an external player or something.

From my understanding, half-sbs playback should be fine in XBMC but there is no subtitle support. I did read that some of the processing used by DXVA causes problems with the 3D effect making ION systems like the revo a bit useless for 3D playback. Maybe it's ok running on an i3 though with DXVA disabled?

Ideally the new system would also have support for 3D bluray - disks, isos and maybe full-sbs rips. I'm guessing this is where I would need to use an external player - has anyone had any success with this and can offer any advice?

Also, I've heard that there is a 24P issue with the sandybrige graphics so maybe it's worth looking at a separate nvidia/ati card. Is there any reason why I should look at buying one over the other when I'm mainly interested in 3D bluray/video playback?

Many Thanks,

David
If you get an i3 based system make sure it's not using the Intel GPU as lots of people have reported problems with it.

There have been some posts describing how to configure XBMC to play 3D with an external player. A search of the Windows forum should find the details.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC setup for 3D TV0