ATI 5450 surround sound audio over HDMI via receiver
Hi there,

im hoping someone here can help me with this issue im having, im a fairly new linux user and a bit of a novice when going into advanced configs.

I am trying to setup my HTPC using ubuntu 11.04 with a ATI 5450 using a HDMI into a 5.1 Yamaha receiver, then onto the TV. I have disabled the onboard sound card.

I am able to get sound from the front 2 speakers only

The issue i have at the moment is that i can only select 2 channel stereo as a profile

aplay -l output

Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

alsamixer not showing much

Everything is working fine in windows so i know the hardware is capable.

Im not sure if it makes a difference but the graphics drivers detect my display as a LG TV (which is 2.0 stereo) and not the receiver so not loading up the other profiles?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Craig
I'm not the best option here to answer you, but, my system has a HDMI audio capabilities too and the only option available is always stereo out. Far as I remember, you have to work the audio from the receiver (I guess this is one of the reasons why I connected my setup with analog cables instead, I like having more control on the matter).

It is interesting that in your aplay list it shows only that device, no audio on motherboard?

(doh, didnt read that well "I have disabled the onboard sound card.")

How about the source file your playing? Some files that you may try playing with XBMC are actually stereo files instead of true 5.1, so I would suggest playing a file or a dvd that does have 5.1 working.

Also, on the xbmc end, in the system section, audio, there's more you can tinker with. But this is far as I go, sorry Sad

ELP
Acer something AMD A8-3800K with Trinity Radeon HD6650 (512MB), 10GB DDR3, Ubuntu 15.04, NO KODI HELP Audio: Working great Analog 5.1 (with Infinity Reference Sub and Center).
thanks elp,

yea i test the audio with a bluray rip of iron man 2, my usual test video file Smile.

i have tried vlc too, changed the output options to alsa too. I shall carry on tinkering tho Smile
reinstalled natty, started from scratch. VLC has managed to pass 5.1 to my receiver.

Tried all sorts in xbmc but still no luck so far
There are some threads over at avs forums that describe needing to override edid data on some yamaha models as they get stuck in two channel only.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/i...3-p-2.html
A F'n Roku, cant wait to build a ryzen.
i bought a nvidia ge 210 to see if it would help xbmc but i seem to have the same issue.

I have vlc working well, outputs 5.1 perfectly.

In XBMC i have tried many variations for the passthrough device,
custom, hw:0,7, plughw:0,7 ,CARD=Nvidia,DEV=7.
ie958(alsa)
hdmi(alsa)

Most settings get a failed to initialise error but hdmi(alsa) does not throw up a error, just no sound. So must be outputting on the wrong hardware but not sure how to change that.
http://pastebin.com/i0f11XwA
log from xbmc using hdmi(ALSA)

Any ideas why vlc has no problems but XBMC is struggling?

Thanks
Craig
SOLVED:

I decided to remove pulseaudio completely using this guide
http://www.jeffsplace.net/node/12
It breaks system sounds but vlc and now xbmc can output surround sound to my receiver Smile

I have tested this on the ATI 5450 and the Nvidia G210, im sticking with the ati as i think it has smoother playback.

XBMC settings are:

to get menu sounds put this in your ~/.asoundrc config file
Code:
pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave {
       pcm "hw:0,3"
       rate 48000
   }
}

set gstreamer using terminal "gstreamer-properties"

Im really pleased i have this working now and surprised it was all down to pulseaudio.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATI 5450 surround sound audio over HDMI via receiver0