Stop stereo tracks outputting on all surround speakers
I am using Ubuntu 11.04 and the latest stable XBMC. My surround system is using the analog 5:1 outputs on the sound card and is configured correctly in XBMC.

The sound works perfectly but I would prefer that my stereo audio files and stereo videos do not play in the rear and center speakers....as is happening now. I'd like them to play only on the front speakers but, of course, retain the 5:1 for 5:1 files.

I can't find any options to control this in the interface and any searching throws results that seem to be from users requiring the reverse.
Is this really not solvable? The only other workaround I have found is to use the Optical output and switch on pass through but it's so buggy with the other formats (DTS being distorted on some videos, some files not being passed through correctly) that I have given up with the digital out.
Reptilian Wrote:Is this really not solvable? The only other workaround I have found is to use the Optical output and switch on pass through but it's so buggy with the other formats (DTS being distorted on some videos, some files not being passed through correctly) that I have given up with the digital out.

The problem on the whole is that MOST surround sound systems still (and will probably always) use Dolby Digital ProLogic (II). This enables a 2.0 stereo to be changed to 5.1. ProLogic is disabled if the codec can be decoded (DTS, Dolby Digital, TrueHD, ect) and is transfered unaltered (Passthru). Usually only through Optical.
I see.....so the best solution is to split the front speaker cable and also connect to a stereo input aux and switch over on the amplifier?

I wish the digital out was perfect but it's not. I can play DTS audio streams just fine but some videos with DTS have distortion. Some stream formats are not passed through correctly to the amp either (surround flac/wav isn't always decoded properly).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stop stereo tracks outputting on all surround speakers0