[WINDOWS] Good Enough PC?
Since I have a new computer, I want to optimize my old eMachine T5048 for media center duty. It's stock except for Windows 7 Ultimate, 2GB ram and a 9400GT a friend gave me. The current processor is a P4 @ 3.06GHz

Suggestions for GPU upgrade? OS? I want to be able to run ripped BluRay and the HD Movies I have lying around on full settings.

Thanks!
u can already Tongue

Win7 recommended so u can enable Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2) in XBMC

but XBMC Live (Linux) would also work,
Hardware Acceleration will be possible thanks to your 9400GT
Thanks! it works great, I can't believe I can still use this old computer. But I do have one more question:

The boot times are absolutely horrid. I have to wait 5 - 7 mins for it to be fully "functional", and this speed is all OS and hardware. I've even disabled any extra programs from starting up on boot. Should I swap OS's to a quicker one, say Linux Mint? I'm a GUI kind of guy, I don't like sudo and I don't plan on using him. Any GUI friendly OS'es that support GPU acceleration and have low boot times?
A Solid State Drive will speed up boot times!
Which motherboard you have?
does it accepts SATA-II (3Gb/s) drives?
eskro Wrote:A Solid State Drive will speed up boot times!
Which motherboard you have?
does it accepts SATA-II (3Gb/s) drives?

It's the stock eMachine provided one, has no features other than what's already given. I have an SSD in my new PC, but it's too expensive for such an old computer which is why I was looking for other alternatives.
then, u can try to using XBMC live or even OpenELEC version of XBMC
which are less heavy then Windows7 to run,,,
Specially OpenELEC
I'm not trying to hijack this thread so forgive me if it comes across that way, but I didn't want to start a new thread since my question is kind of similar.
I have XBMC running on my shuttle with a nvidia 9400gt card. my OS is Win 2008 server. I've had it running for some time, but I have noticed it stutters at times and after a reset I'm good to go. I'm curious if I should dump win 2008 and go with Ubuntu. I had it setup initially many years ago with ubuntu but I had problems getting it to see my windows server, which was hosting my media.

So, I'm curious what are the benefits if I do so now. Again I don't mean to hijack the thread, and if I come across as doing so I apologize.
Advice on Hardware
PC-LUXA2 CPU-AMD Phenom II X6 1100T RAM-12GB Video Card-AMD Radeon HD 6800
OS-Win7 32bit - Kodi - 14.0 Helix SKIN - Aeon MQ 5 Keyboard - DiNovo Mini

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
if i were to use a Linux OS, i would definitely get the OpenELEC version of XBMC!

its lite, fast, uses extremely small resources!

Boots right into it on htpc POWER ON!
I was actually looking at your thread regarding your HTPC. That is a freaking sweet setup and the SSD is freaking genius!!! Makes me want to just shell out the money for win7 instead of messing around with linux and trying to figure out how to get it to see my windows server.
Advice on Hardware

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
well with OpenELEC is pretty much already set for you,,
doesnt require Linux Knowledge.
Well that sounds freaking fantastic then, cause I love my shuttle despite the damn fan noise, would it recognize my nvidia 9400GT as well?
Advice on Hardware

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
OpenELEC like's Nvidia Smile
eskro, all I'm freaking saying is Thanks a million and after reading halfway through your "wanna see my HTPC?" I think I'm going to build me another box soon. Wink
Advice on Hardware

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
DIY HTPC building is addictive Tongue
Yeah I've built quite a few but it's been years since my last build. SSD's where too expensive back then. Now after reading your thread and booting win7 in 35 seconds roughly, The next one I do will be with a SSD drive in for sure.
Advice on Hardware

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Good Enough PC?0