[WINDOWS] Good Enough PC?
SSD's are amazing""
Yeah right now the only problem I have with my rig is the fan noise. I think it's the psu fan that occasionally just rev's up really loud. I don't get it, any ideas? The specs for what I have is on my sig.
Advice on Hardware
PC-LUXA2 CPU-AMD Phenom II X6 1100T RAM-12GB Video Card-AMD Radeon HD 6800
OS-Win7 32bit - Kodi - 14.0 Helix SKIN - Aeon MQ 5 Keyboard - DiNovo Mini

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
well. the way to verify if the noise your saying really comes from your PSU,
you can do like i did, use the application named HWMonitor,
and use it to lower the RPM of your CPU fan....
example, set your CPU FAN to %30 speed...
then listen if the noise your saying still occurs...
if it is, and as strong as usual, then, PSU is probably culprit...
Ok I will do that. I really hope it isn't the PSU but I'm almost positive it is, and being that it's shuttle they don't make any quieter psu fans. So, that would be more of a reason to BUILD A NEW ONE wouldn't it?
Advice on Hardware

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
gyrene2083 Wrote:I'm not trying to hijack this thread so forgive me if it comes across that way, but I didn't want to start a new thread since my question is kind of similar.
I have XBMC running on my shuttle with a nvidia 9400gt card. my OS is Win 2008 server. I've had it running for some time, but I have noticed it stutters at times and after a reset I'm good to go. I'm curious if I should dump win 2008 and go with Ubuntu. I had it setup initially many years ago with ubuntu but I had problems getting it to see my windows server, which was hosting my media.

So, I'm curious what are the benefits if I do so now. Again I don't mean to hijack the thread, and if I come across as doing so I apologize.

regardless of OS, xbmc uses an application based SMB (meaning the smb functionality and the code to support SMB are compiled into the xbmc appl and are not reliant on the underlying OS to provide that function), so if you have SMB server shares configured correctly, xbmc client configured correctly, your network on the underlying OS configured correctly, xbmc can see and access your windows shares independent of the OS.

Regarding linux connecting to a windows host, outside of xbmc, you need to learn how CIFS works under linux, it works well once it is configured correctly but you have to cross that learning curve, which can be a barrier to the uninitiated.

Lastly under openelec, to ease use by non linux users, they have created smb shares so windows hosts can mount those shares to get to configuration and data files one might be interested in accessing, but this assumes your underlying SMB network is configured correctly and you have put that configuration information correctly in your openelec configuration. If you are concerned about accessing SMB shares in openelec, well that is addressed by XBMC's integrated SMB functionality or if you prefer to mount SMB shares outside of XBMC, you just modify the ~/.config/netmount.conf file mount your shares to the filesystem, examples are in file.
Thanks a lot clay pigeon. I had xbmc, years ago, on ubuntu. It took some time to figure out how to get it to play nice with my windows server but I managed it. Somehow, through the years I'm not sure why I went to a win2008 system to run xbmc off of.

So, I'm going to have to relearn the whole process again. LOL. Shouldn't be that bad, at worst I learn something new. Thanks for you input though I greatly appreciate it.
Advice on Hardware

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Good Enough PC?0