Keymaps alterations have no effect
ok first off lemme give you a bit of details about my setup.
im not really sure what is relevant so disregard anything that you dont need to know and let me know if i left anything out that i should be including.

Ubuntu 11.4 installed
PPA install 10.1 xbmc installed
Lirc ver. 0.8.7 installed
using the branded MCE remote/reciever.
2.8 dual core pentium
Gigabyte EP43-DS3L MB
2gig DDR2 800mhz? i think (not sure on speed)

first off i much like many ppl that ask alot of "dumb questions" about Ubuntu and Linux in general am a recent convert from windows.
so if i seem to know more about astrophysics than i do linux thats because i do.

i have been using Ubuntu 10.4 for about 6 to 8 months now but i havent really taken the time to "explore" it fully i got it running and then left it alone.
as the old saying goes.
"how do you keep a ****** don't **** with it"
everything was working quite well and then ubuntu did some kind of update and it broke my sound.
my sound would just mute itself and id have to reboot my system several times to get it working again.
i finally had enough of that so i decided to upgrade to 11.4 in the hopes that it would run a bit more stable and solve my sound problems...which it has.
however in the process of upgrading my keymaps and possibly my remote functions are no longer working as they were.
i have tried to alter the remote.xml/ keyboard.xml as well as the Lircmap.xml files which seems to yield no resulting changes.
however im wondering if this is perhaps because they are in the wrong location and since i no little to nothing about linux i cant be sure without asking.
the designated path according to the wiki is home\.xbmc\userdata\keymaps.
the path which mine were placed is home\media\.xbmc\userdata\keymaps.
when i noticed this i tried to make a copy of the .xbmc folder and move it to the home root folder but it wouldn't allow me to do that (perhaps it requires special privileges that i dont know how to access)
if anyone could give me any insight as to how to go about fixing this issue my system would be running perfectly once again.
some functions are working on my remote ones that aren't.
play FF RW the OK button and the big green MCE button.
xbmc is the best media software out there "at least of the ones i have used".
i have quite an extensive media library and keeping it all organised and looking pretty would be near impossibly without the use of xbmc and other tools that were created by its users.
so ty all Smile
"home" in the wiki refers to your home dir, which in your case it sounds is /home/media (as media is the user?)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:"home" in the wiki refers to your home dir, which in your case it sounds is /home/media (as media is the user?)

yeah that makes sense i completely forgot that i named the system "media"
i was also noticing today that even the keys that do work have a considerable delay..2 to 5 sec.
maybe my Lirc isnt working right?
what else could cause that kind of delay from the time the buttons pressed to the time the action actually takes place?
usb driver issue maybe?
A common problem is the file management rights, make sure that the file is not owned by root (in whichever location it is) but rather by your standard account. Check the properties of all the other XBMC-created files in the directory to see how it's done. This solved the problem for me.
Cheers
WinXP SP3 - Samsung LE40A656 - Asus P5Q SE/R - Intel Core2Duo E8400 3000MHz - GeForce 9600GT (512MB) - Logitech NumberPad - Samsung Omnia running XBMC HTTP-R (for lack of a better option)
Halibutt Wrote:A common problem is the file management rights, make sure that the file is not owned by root (in whichever location it is) but rather by your standard account. Check the properties of all the other XBMC-created files in the directory to see how it's done. This solved the problem for me.
Cheers

i will check that ty

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keymaps alterations have no effect0