[WINDOWS] Hardware recommendation and iMON compatibility
Question 
Hi there,

I'm a complete newbie to XBMC but I liked what I saw when I first tried it today Big Grin

I have a rather old HTPC running on Asus M2A-VM HDMI (AMD 690G chipset w/ integrated X1250) and an AMD Athlon64 x2 4200, 2GB RAM.

This system was actually never used as HTPC but more as my former home server just serving Swisscenter for my old Pinnacle SC200.
I recently installed Win 7 Home Premium and tried XBMC for Windows. It looks great, it feels great but the system is not capable of playing FullHD content. SD is no problem at all.

I guess, there is no GPU HW accelaration and the CPU might be too weak.

Now my questions:
I'd like to swap board and CPU to have something which delivers best performance with XBMC. What do you recommend. Noisy fans should be avoided, though.

The system is built into a SilverStone LC16 case which brings an iMON Remote Control. Are there any tips or tutorials how to configure the RC for XBMC?

Thanks for your help!
check in my signature for a HTPC startup guide...

for the iMON Remote Control, i only use it to PowerON and OFF my HTPC,,,

it works so bad and is fairly unresponsive!!
eskro Wrote:check in my signature for a HTPC startup guide...
Will do so, thanks.
Quote:for the iMON Remote Control, i only use it to PowerON and OFF my HTPC,,,
it works so bad and is fairly unresponsive!!
I have two of them and one works fine. How do you control your PC then?
XBMC controlled by my Rii Mini WIreless 2.4GHz Keyboard

Browsing the Web is done by using my Gyration Air Mouse GO+
upD8R Wrote:Now my questions:
I'd like to swap board and CPU to have something which delivers best performance with XBMC. What do you recommend. Noisy fans should be avoided, though.

The system is built into a SilverStone LC16 case which brings an iMON Remote Control. Are there any tips or tutorials how to configure the RC for XBMC?

Thanks for your help!

Why not just add a discrete video card and keep the existing mobo and CPU? Nvidia GT430, Nvidia GT520 or an AMD HD6450 should get XBMC working just fine.
even GT210 or HD5450
Well, it's worth a try! Thanks!

Looking for the GT520 now. Just for my understanding: this card brings HW accelaration which is supported by XBMC or how does it work?
even the GT210 brings HW Accel to XBMC,,,,

you dont have to worry about nothing,,,

if you'll use Windows7, in XBMC, you'll see an option to enable HW Accel....

Same if your under Linux.....
i would get this one if i were you --> PowerColor Go! Green AX5450 ($24.99 after mail-in rebate)
Thanks, got the Asus GT520 for 50 EUR. Will post my result then.

BTW, when playing movies with XBMC: Is it possible to see some statistics, e.g. dropped frames?
press 'O' while movie is playing

GT520 was not needed if you dont plan to play 3D movies
eskro Wrote:GT520 was not needed if you dont plan to play 3D movies
Yes, I've read this in your HW guide but I don't want to limit myself (having a 3D capable TV set in front of me Rolleyes) ...
ok great, perfect
Hey, the GT520 arrived and it's dream now. Zero framedrops w/ Killa Sample now. Just by adding a new graphics card!

Thank you very much indeed for your recommendations.

BTW, I have another beginner's question.
upD8R Wrote:Hi there,

I'm a complete newbie to XBMC but I liked what I saw when I first tried it today Big Grin

I have a rather old HTPC running on Asus M2A-VM HDMI (AMD 690G chipset w/ integrated X1250) and an AMD Athlon64 x2 4200, 2GB RAM.

This system was actually never used as HTPC but more as my former home server just serving Swisscenter for my old Pinnacle SC200.
I recently installed Win 7 Home Premium and tried XBMC for Windows. It looks great, it feels great but the system is not capable of playing FullHD content. SD is no problem at all.

I guess, there is no GPU HW accelaration and the CPU might be too weak.

Now my questions:

Thanks for your help!

I use the IMON software and receiver with my Harmony one under windows 7. It's not that tough to setup. Are you planning on using the IMON remote or a universal? Either way, configure it as an "MCE" remote then map the keys.

I think I remember some config files out there you can import into the IMON software that are XBMC specific (maps all the general keys).
Media server: unRaid 5.0.5 | CPU: Intel-Core i3-4360 | MB: Supermicro X10SL7-F | RAM: 16 GB Crucial ECC | CASE: PC-A77F | HD Cages: iStarUSA BPU-350SATA | PSU: Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 Active PFC F3 | HDD: WD Red | 25 TB array -WD Red 4TB Parity | 500GB WD Black Cache| Build Details

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Hardware recommendation and iMON compatibility0