Get a different button to open XBMC from Windows 7?
Would this be possible: Leave it so the green button opens up WMC but have a different unused button, like the "Live TV" (I don't have any) open up XBMC from the Windows desktop? I figure that since I don't use the key for anything it would be more convinent to be able to just start the program using a button like that instead of having to use my mouse or disable the default Windows 7 response to open WMC with the green button as I do use WMC for Netflix.
What about adding a shortcut for xbmc to one of the function-keys?
I have F9 for starting my xbmc on my harmony...you can edit this function in the registry...

you might take a look here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61571
or here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36936

or you search for elitegamer's thread...he has a tool for doing this...or the official addon for mce...

cheers,
mm
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
Well I do have the remote working in XBMC, I used the MCE addon and most things are working dandy.

As for the F9 idea, I want to get away from needing to take the keyboard out of the drawer. If I could get the remote to do everything after the PC is turned on then it would be pretty decent. Right now I can, after it's turned on, open up WMC, play stuff, then shut down the PC right from the remote, so what I want to do is that, except with XBMC.

That first link you sent is pretty complex.
If you're already using the MCE add-on configure the button of your choice to send ctrl-shift-W and then assign this as the hotkey for the XBMC shortcut in the Start menu (or on the desktop).

I think the MCE add-on normally configures the Windows button to be ctrl-shift-W. Configure this to be "mce" (without the quotes) instead. This tells the MCE add-on to leave the button at the default settings.

JR
How would I configure a key outside of XBMC itself and right on the Windows desktop? That EventGhost thing? But I don't want that guy to take over all of the commands from the remote inside of XBMC.
I simply mapped the WMC "green button" to act like the normal Windows key (ctrl-escape) using the key mapping addon. I then pinned xbmc, WMC, and Hulu desktop to the start menu, and can select either one using the remote. Mapping another key to "alt-tab" will allow you to switch between any open program. Never use the keyboard anymore.
@pcdude. which 'key mapping' option are you referring to? something in eventghost, xbmc, or the registry?
Hey,
I did the exact same thing and used my "yellow/live tv" button to start xbmc by doing this:

1 - Pinning xbmc to the start menu (to keep the desktop clean)
2 - Right click the xbmc shortcut in the start menu and select "properties"
3 - Select the "shortcut" tab in the dialog box that appears
4 - Then where it says "shortcut key" just press the "live tv" button on your remote and it should enter the shortcut for you Smile

Now when you press that button, it should launch xbmc... Happy days.

It works perfectly with mine. However, i am using a vista MCE remote.

Im now looking at using the alternate ehome driver to use my start button instead as i dont use WMC so may as well use that button for xbmc Big Grin
twotone8 Wrote:@pcdude. which 'key mapping' option are you referring to? something in eventghost, xbmc, or the registry?

The xbmc remote addon - go to programs - addons and it should be in the list. It basically remaps the buttons using Windows registry entries, and the buttons will then work with any Windows program as well as xbmc. No eventghost or similar application is required.
You beat me to assigning a shortcut key in the properties on the XBMC icon. Anyways, I'm surprised that no one mentioned XBMC integration into WMC. Since you use WMC download and install the XBMC integration file. It will add a menu item just like Hulu or powerdvd/TMT does to WMC. This will close WMC and start XBMC. When you close XBMC it will reopen WMC for you. Works great.
Jezo Wrote:How would I configure a key outside of XBMC itself and right on the Windows desktop? That EventGhost thing? But I don't want that guy to take over all of the commands from the remote inside of XBMC.

Right click on the XBMC icon, either in the Windows Start menu or on the Windows desktop, and click properties. Click in the "Shortcut key" field, then press the button you've configured on the remote and the field should fill in with "CTRL + SHIFT + W" or whatever keypress the remote is sending. Click Ok to save the change. Now whenever you press the button, or press that key combination on the keyboard, Windows will start XBMC just as if you had cliecked (or doubleclicked) on the icon.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Get a different button to open XBMC from Windows 7?0