XBMC Music Video XML Creator - For Adding all Music Videos To Library
DataIsGold has an updated version of this on his GitHub: https://github.com/DataIsGold/XBMC-Music-Video-NFO

Old stuff left here in-case its ever useful...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I downloaded loads of music videos but there was no way to add them all to the library (MTV scraper picked up about 20% of them).

So I created this application:

This adds an NFO file with the same filename as the music video by extracting information from the filename.
By default, It deletes existing NFO's with the same filename. However there are options to backup old NFO's or skip files with exisiting NFO's.

It reads in the following formats:
"Artist - Title"
"Artist_-_Title"
"Artist.-.Title"
"Artist-Title"
"01 - Title - Artist"
"artist-title-moreinfoyoudontwant"
"title of song" (and adds "unknown" as the artist)
and all similar formats.

It supports a big list of file extensions and you can add your own.
and creates the NFO XML file:
<musicvideo>
<title>Title</title>
<artist>Artist</artist>
</musicvideo>

Now all of my music videos appear in the library!

Extra Features
Can generate thumbnails for your music videos using included ffmpeg (will take about 3-10 seconds per video longer for the application to run)
Can copy your videos to a new location in different folder structures, takes a lot longer if using this feature as it has to copy all the files.

Instructions
-coming soon - do I even need them?
The default options should be fine for most users.

If your music videos are stored on a linux server (xbmc Live possibly) then why not create a samba share, mount it on windows as a drive and run the application on your music videos folder remotely. That's what I do!

Requirements
Developed and tested on windows 7 but I assume it will run on XP and later.

You may need the Microsoft .NET framework installed if you're not on Windows 7.

Download/Installation
Download and extract the zip file here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zut5fsgpiiejo0g
Either run the "XBMC Music Videos.exe" in the "XBMC Music Video NFO Standalone" which should be portable.
or if that doesn't work install using "setup.exe" and following on screen instructions

If you have any other ideas or find any bugs please let me know!
When reporting bugs please give me as much info as possible, i.e. file structure, options selected, operating system etc...

If you like or used the application and it worked I'd also like to know, because I'm only going to develop it further if others want it!

Project discontinued as, for now, I have changed to Mediaportal. Here is the source code, I didn't get a chance to tidy it up or anything so its proper messy (but working).
http://www.mediafire.com/?8dz36jf2pviajma

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version 15b Beta
Supports renaming the output file of the copy operation into "Artist - Title.ext" for processing by other applications. Made this because this app is good at processing downloaded music video filenames but most others are not and don't read the NFO.
Download (includes source & FFMPEG): http://www.mediafire.com/?6uljw0590pz4c4k
Changelog
v15b
Option to Rename output file of copy operation
v15
Bugfixes
v14
fixed a bug with ffmpeg checking
v13
-Multi-threaded so application shouldn't freeze up!
-New, better way to check ffmpeg is working.

This could be buggy, its the first time I've made a multi-threaded application. I tested all the features but please report any bugs you may find! I've posted the download for v12 below in-case there's a bad bug and you need it.

v12 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?fgklub3f6prcnf7
-Better (and working) thumbnail creation
-Thumnail box unticks if ffmpeg wont work/isnt found
v11
Fixed Tiny Bug
v10
-Using FFMPEG to create a thumbnail for each video
-variable time to look into the video
-option to copy files to a new destination
-Option of format to copy files in (all in root, "Artist title" folders, "Artist"/"Title" folders)
-Option to copy files along with the video (6 different options)
-Overwrite option when copying files
-Icon for the application Smile
v8
-slight update to the way it handles the A-Ha problem. Falls back to using "-" if no " - " is found
v7
-Fixed 50 Cent bug where 50 was being mistaken for track number even with options off -50 cent won't be detected as track number even with options on now
-Added option to check for hyphen in artist name for A-Ha bug
v4
-Option for Skipping songs with existing NFO's
-And option to back up existing NFO's
-Deal with videos being in root folder
-Option to add album tag with artists name
I have updated the application:
The reason for the version numbers skipping a few is I want to keep them the same as VB's version numbers and it increments them by one each time you publish the application.

Future Features
-Find some way to hide the black command prompts that ffmpeg makes.
I'll be doing that this week.

-Scraping genre and other info from sites
-Scraping fanart

-Option to look over gathered/scraped information including fanart and correct any errors
Still thinking of a useful easy to use (and more importantly, easy to code) way to implement this.
-Possibly porting to Java (the other language I'm quite good in) to make it Cross platform (only going to do this if a few people ask nicely).
-Skip previously scraped information to save time when new downloads

Not sure when/if I'll do the above, all depends on time I have free.
very nice.

YANG is very similar however your app has far more options.
some scraping for artist/track data would be welcome if that is doable or you have the interest in it.
i have a fairly extensive music video collection which i mostly edited the nfos for and added fan art and video screen caps for manually.
it was painful at best and it would be nice if a tool such as this could save others from that kind of time investment in order to make all their music videos look pretty.
Vampirebat Wrote:very nice.

YANG is very similar however your app has far more options.
some scraping for artist/track data would be welcome if that is doable or you have the interest in it.
i have a fairly extensive music video collection which i mostly edited the nfos for and added fan art and video screen caps for manually.
it was painful at best and it would be nice if a tool such as this could save others from that kind of time investment in order to make all their music videos look pretty.
Tried that but it wasn't working very well for me, mine does a much better job of picking out the artist and trackname (especially for music videos from NZB's) and getting rid of the stuff on the end of the filename that's not wanted!

Do you know a useful site for scraping song information? I'd also like to add the playtime to the NFO but no idea how to do that!

Also, how do you add the fan art to the music video, is it just a jpg with the same filename as the NFO in the folder?

I could possibly do opening the video and getting the n'th frame, but its asking a lot of my coding skills!

Thanks for any advice!
i have my files all in the same folder.
all the videos are converted to the same format to keep things uniform.

Quote:2 Pac - California Love.mp4
2 Pac - California Love.nfo
2 Pac - California Love-fanart.jpg
2 Pac - Changes.mp4
2 Pac - Changes.nfo
2 Pac - Changes-fanart.jpg
2 Pac - Dear Mama.mp4
2 Pac - Dear Mama.nfo
2 Pac - Dear Mama-fanart.jpg
2 Pac - Ghetto Gospel.mp4
2 Pac - Ghetto Gospel.nfo
2 Pac - Ghetto Gospel-fanart.jpg
2 Pac - Hail mary.mp4
2 Pac - Hail mary.nfo
2 Pac - Hail Mary-fanart.jpg
2 Pac - I Ain't Mad at Cha.mp4
2 Pac - I Aint Mad at Cha.nfo
2 Pac - I Aint Mad at Cha-fanart.jpg
2 Pac - Unconditional Love.mp4
2 Pac - Unconditional Love.nfo
2 Pac - Unconditional Love-fanart.jpg
2 Pac - Until the End of Time.mp4
2 Pac - Until the End of Time.nfo
2 Pac - Until the End of Time-fanart.jpg
3 Days Grace - I Hate Everything About You.mp4
3 Days Grace - I Hate Everything About You.nfo
3 Days Grace - I Hate Everything About You-fanart.jpg
3 Doors Down - Here Without You.mp4
3 Doors Down - Here Without You.nfo
3 Doors Down - Here Without You-fanart.jpg
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite.mp4
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite.nfo
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite-fanart.jpg
3 Doors Down - When Im Gone.mp4
3 Doors Down - When Im Gone.nfo
3 Doors Down - When Im Gone-fanart.jpg
30 Seconds to Mars - Capricorn.mp4
30 Seconds to Mars - Capricorn.nfo
30 Seconds to Mars - Capricorn-fanart.jpg
30 Seconds to Mars - From Yesterday.mp4
30 Seconds to Mars - From Yesterday.nfo
30 Seconds to Mars - From Yesterday-fanart.jpg
30 Seconds to Mars - The Kill.mp4
30 Seconds to Mars - The Kill.nfo
30 Seconds to Mars - The Kill-fanart.jpg
311 - All Mixed Up.mp4
311 - All Mixed Up.nfo
311 - All Mixed Up-fanart.jpg
311 - Dont Stay Home.mp4
311 - Dont Stay Home.nfo
311 - Dont Stay Home-fanart.jpg
311 - Down.mp4
311 - Down.nfo
311 - Down-fanart.jpg
4 Non Blondes - Whats Up.mp4
4 Non Blondes - Whats Up.nfo
4 Non Blondes - Whats Up-fanart.jpg
my files are arranged like that.
however i have found that even tho ive taken the time to create/find fanart for each song it will only show the first fanart by each artist for all of their tracks while browsing in library mode.
you dont see the individual fanart for each track unless you are
1. in file mode
2. queue the tracks and enter the now playing list.
as for scrapable sources.
i pulled quite a bit of music video info from...
http://www.musicvdb.com
and
http://www.mvdbase.com
im sure there must be better data sources but these were the best i came up with after a pretty extensive search.
for fanart i pulled some from
http://musicwallpapers.net
and
http://www.bandswallpapers.com
using a bulk image downloader but for the most part i just used a goggle search did a bulk download into a folder sorted them by size and then weeded out the ones that were junk til i had enough "useable" images for each artist and then went to town with photoshop for like 2-3 hours a day for about 3 months.
After browsing to my music video folder, i click 'go' then a box pops up saying 'done' but his happens immediately and i can't see any nfo's etc inside the folder.

Have I missed something?
Vampirebat Wrote:i have my files all in the same folder.
all the videos are converted to the same format to keep things uniform.

my files are arranged like that.
however i have found that even tho ive taken the time to create/find fanart for each song it will only show the first fanart by each artist for all of their tracks while browsing in library mode.
you dont see the individual fanart for each track unless you are
1. in file mode
2. queue the tracks and enter the now playing list.
as for scrapable sources.
i pulled quite a bit of music video info from...
http://www.musicvdb.com
and
http://www.mvdbase.com
im sure there must be better data sources but these were the best i came up with after a pretty extensive search.
for fanart i pulled some from
http://musicwallpapers.net
and
http://www.bandswallpapers.com
using a bulk image downloader but for the most part i just used a goggle search did a bulk download into a folder sorted them by size and then weeded out the ones that were junk til i had enough "useable" images for each artist and then went to town with photoshop for like 2-3 hours a day for about 3 months.
Thanks for the help!
Its actually given me an idea that the app wouldn't work if all the files were in the folder the user selected, I should fix that Tongue

johnmerrick Wrote:After browsing to my music video folder, i click 'go' then a box pops up saying 'done' but his happens immediately and i can't see any nfo's etc inside the folder.

Have I missed something?
tick the 'output all artist-tracknames to box' does anything appear in the box? also when it says done does the created files count go up or stay 0?
what is the structure of your music videos, it should be a long the lines of:

music_videos/someone_something/someone-something.avi

in this example you would select the "music_videos" folder.
Love this nfo creater. Very easy, simple and clean!!! Let's not over-complicate it going forward. Just 2 feature requests:

1) Possible to have an option not to create a new NFO file if one already exists

2) Implement something related to fanart: maybe what you suggested: pick the xth frame from the actual video

Thanks a lot in advance!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:Love this nfo creater. Very easy, simple and clean!!! Let's not over-complicate it going forward. Just 2 feature requests:

1) Possible to have an option not to create a new NFO file if one already exists

2) Implement something related to fanart: maybe what you suggested: pick the xth frame from the actual video

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Thanks! Okay first one is easy I'll deffo do that, given me an idea of how to better structure the code too so thanks Big Grin

The second one is difficult, ill look into it but probably end up scraping jpgs from the net!
Thanks! Actually, fanart is not such a big deal. I just realized that XBMC somehow magically pulls fanart for the artists (musicvideo) that I have in my music library. This is quite nice as I have most of the artists (musicvideo) also in my musiclibrary.

One related question: your tool triggered me to use the musicvideolibrary, which doesn't work though how I would like it to. Please see my feature request below. Have you found a way to best work with the existing library?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104230
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
I use the music video for 'party mode' which as far as I can tell is just "shuffle all" which is what I wanted.

Adding an <album> tag with the artists name in it would help with your problem wouldn't it? I can add an option to do that.
Because then you can browse by album and you're really browsing by artists. Or if you browse by artist you can just press the one album that will be listed under the artist...

The library will just think every artist has one album with all their songs in it.

Summary of Features for me to implement
-Skipping songs with existing NFO's
Should be done by wednesday

-Scraping genre and other info from sites linked to above
-Scraping fanart
Should be done by end of next week

-Option to look over gathered/scraped information including fanart and correct any errors
Still thinking of a useful easy to use (and more importantly, easy to code) way to implement this.
-Possibly porting to Java (the other language I'm quite good in) to make it Cross platform.
-Skip previously scraped information to save time when new downloads
Trying to think of a way to implement this too.
Not sure when/if I'll do the above, all depends on time I have free.
jacksonliam Wrote:Adding an <album> tag with the artists name in it would help with your problem wouldn't it? I can add an option to do that.
Because then you can browse by album and you're really browsing by artists. Or if you browse by artist you can just press the one album that will be listed under the artist...

You are right that this may work. Browsing by album would do the trick if adding an option to have the album=artist. Thanks!
Latest application uploaded with following new features:
-Skipping songs with existing NFO's

check first page or download: http://www.mediafire.com/?t4ysyghf4n9g3jl
minor glitch on a test run.
artists that have a dash in their name.
in my case the band "A-ha"
show up as artist "A" track title "Ha" and it drops the actual song title.
I know, I had it with sir mix-a-lot and on a song which had put (ft t - pain) It just requires a renaming of the one video file to change the dashes to a space or something. As far as I can think there is no way to detect it besides perhaps a set of exceptions but I'd need a list of every song title and artist that could possibly have a dash in it.

The format is "artist - title - crap-to-remove.ext"
And there isn't really any rules I can make to correct the A-ha problem! Unless anyone else can think of a way?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Music Video XML Creator - For Adding all Music Videos To Library0