XBMC video server
Hello guys.

Some of you would know that in italy we are going to turn-off normal analogic television and switch to the DVB-T Standard.
But Italy is a strange place, a nation with 7 national televisions but hundreds of local broadcasters.
So this epic switch-off would be a traumatic experience for lot of them. Economically and psicologicaly.
Every "traditional" local broadcaster need to fill the entire dvb-t channel (24Mbps) with 6 programs (by legal obligation) or its assigned (but paid million of euros) frequencies would be reassigned to more "efficent" (read berlusconian) brodasters.

In this optic i'm going to develop an open source television architecture, with media ingesting, MAM (media asset management), playlist and commercials managemant (all with a web-interface), EPG insertion via OpenCaster , and video playback server able of logo insertion.

Everything in this production chain would be open and (if possible) linux based. Ingesting cards would be hauppauge PVR 150 cards (250-250-500 also) or blackmagic DeckLink Studio (all with linux support), DB would be postgresql, Apache webserver, python as reference language but others are welcomed and (i think) a customized XBMC for the playback.

XBMC can connect to remote media storage, XBMC can handle a large number of different codecs, XBMC could overlay graphic (OSD), XBMC could scale SD media to HD output or HD media to SD output. XBMC runs on multiple platform, from economic beagleboard to an high end linux box with flaming nvidia board.
All those features would be interesting for a playback server.

The project is going to start in a pure open style culture, so stay tuned and ... every suggestion would be apreciated (also the name for the project Laugh )
take a look at https://www.lonelycoder.com/hts/tvheadend_overview.html before you start building everything from scratch.
Interesting project, but my idea is to provide tv broadcaster of an open platform to make easily their (my) work.
I plan to use XBMC to playback mpeg files and feed the DVB-T trasmission chain.

I'll try to attach a (not finished) presentation i made for collegues.

Also a production chain diagram i made for my boss would be attached.

you will find them here:
ftp://download:[email protected]/prog...dvb-t).pdf

ftp://download:[email protected]/sche...tenuti.pdf

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC video server0