• 11(current)
Entry-Level unRAID Server Build
Thinking about this MB for $45 after MIR and using existing pci graphics card for install then going headless...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...138318-L0C

2 x16 pci e
2 x1 pci e
2 pci
6 stata 6Gbs
2 usb 3

seems like a good deal
jason.shaffer Wrote:Thinking about this MB for $45 after MIR and using existing pci graphics card for install then going headless...

seems like a good deal

I bought this one.... a lot of people use it on the unRAID forums for there system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...0880G%20LE
Beer40oz Wrote:I bought this one.... a lot of people use it on the unRAID forums for there system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...0880G%20LE

+1, thats one of the 2 boards i recommend in my unRAID Server guide!
Big Grin 
Antec Three Hundred
€ 46,95

Scythe Shuriken Rev. B
€ 21,85

Cooler Master 4-in-3 Device Module
€ 16,95

Corsair Builder CX500 V2
€ 49,90

Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G
€ 41,50

Asus P8H67-M LX
€ 78,90

Pentium G620
€ 56,20

Total € 312,25

Based on eskros setup but with intel stuff, want to run sickbeard, couchpotato and saznzb kind of stuff.

Can anyone comment on this setup, will it work, will it fit etc... still a bit of a noob here.
eskro Wrote:+1 for the LIAN LI PC-Q08B

its so great that im also thinking to make a place for it in Poofy & I's unRAID Guide!!

Now if I were to opt for this 6 drive case that seems to be good and I think asthetically and size wise is a great option would I be able to keep the rest of the stuff intact? Namely the Mobo? Or would I have to pick a new Mobo to fit in this case? I would love to see a guide with this case as the platform!! Would anything else change if I choose this case? (Power supply, Mobo, anything)
Takkiedroid Wrote:Asus P8H67-M LX
€ 78,90

a had quick look at the mobo and it seems fine,,,
the realtek NIC is listed compatible with unRAID at least,,,
ManoloDF Wrote:I would love to see a guide with this case as the platform!! Would anything else change if I choose this case? (Power supply, Mobo, anything)

check my unRAID Server Guide
what's the advantage of using unRAID software vs. FreeNAS software??
popular.me Wrote:what's the advantage of using unRAID software vs. FreeNAS software??

UnRaid is built from the ground up as a DIY media server. The whole idea with unRaid is to add new drives from different manufacturers, different batches as you go which is a little different from most NAS set ups. It maintains parity protection even as you mix and match to build your drive one HD at a time.

The very modest licensing for unRaid as you expand past 3 drives is a pittance compared to the advantage of adding storage a little as you go (especially with HD prices so temporarily overinflated due to flooding in Thailand).
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
thanks! i'm going to try unRaid.

another question, is 1gb of ram enough for unRaid? someone told me it's good to have a lot of ram for a server. i'm thinking of doing 8gb of ram for this setup. is that overkill?
popular.me Wrote:thanks! i'm going to try unRaid.

another question, is 1gb of ram enough for unRaid? someone told me it's good to have a lot of ram for a server. i'm thinking of doing 8gb of ram for this setup. is that overkill?

8gb is overkill, likely 2-4 gb is probably enough. The main difference is how much "other stuff" you will eventually have going - AirVideo, the SABnzbd suite of downloaders, torrents - all those things take RAM and SAB in particular seems to throw less errors if you give it a little higher than the default amount of RAM cache.

The UnRaid forums are really good too.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
Hi eskro,

quick question, do you have any recommendations for fan power adapters that convert molex to 3-pin?

I got the case and the power supply you recommend in this thread, but didn't realize that this power supply doesn't have any 3-pin connectors for fans and the mobo only has two while the case has four fans.

Maybe you could add a couple of those cables to this list as well, since you already put in the 1-molex to 3-molex adapter for extra fans.

Thanks
Hey guys - Recommended board appears to be discontinued.

Any suggestions for the best replacement?

Edit - shopped around a little, found this board which seems to be compatible and in the same price range. I've always had good luck with ASUS as well.

ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
it's amazing how little performance you need for unraid. My freeness server which is a Raid Z2 array with 6x2TB currently has 16GB of memory Smile Not that I would prefer Unraid of Freenas though Wink
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
I just built this system yesterday. However I am not able to get the system to post. I tried it with just barebones cpu, pcu, and ram and nothing. No lights on the keyboard, no beeps (is there a chassis speaker?). Tried reseating the ram and the other slot, tried cmos reset also. Still nothing. Anyone come across this and have another suggestion?

Thanks
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Entry-Level unRAID Server Build1