• 5(current)
Entry-Level unRAID Server Build
Are there any premade server builds around with the same type of expansion for around this price?

preferably maybe a bit more square but still with the ability to hold alot of HDs with a bit of fiddling
not that i know of ...
Can anyone tell a good place to get these cables in the UK:
1 Molex To 3-Molex Power Connector Cables and 1 Molex To 4-SATA Power Connector cables.

Also this is the motherboard I was going to buy:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-m4a8...d-graphics
It's not LE, does that matter? What does LE mean?

Thanks
ASUS M4A88T-M = Realtek 8111E LAN Chipset = Avoid if you dont like headaches

ASUS M4A88T-M LE = Realtek 8112L LAN Chipset = Good if you dont like headaches
I would be more than happy to get the LE version if I could find it in the UK for a reasonable price. Cheapest I have found is £70 plus £39 shipping. I won't pay that.

I've already ordered the CPU, is there another motherboard I could use instead that would work just as well.
ASRock 880GM-LE (Incl. VAT: £46.70)

chip is Realtek 8111DL and is listed working on unRAID WiKi page...

however, you can install a MAX of 18HDD's with this motherboard...
Nice, can I use the Sempron chip I already ordered and same RAM?
oh yeah, SEMPRON 140 has the same AM3 socket...
no worries!
Thanks Eskro! Big Grin
eskro Wrote:oh yeah, SEMPRON 140 has the same AM3 socket...
no worries!

I love that little processor. Its been running great in my build. Big Grin
aoaaron Wrote:Are there any premade server builds around with the same type of expansion for around this price?

preferably maybe a bit more square but still with the ability to hold alot of HDs with a bit of fiddling

Lime-technology, the folks who make UnRaid software, also sells pre-built boxes but the price difference between build your own and pre-made is sort of a case of "if you have to ask you probably can't afford it".

http://www.lime-technology.com/products/md-1510-server

Their premade boxes are also by many of their techs own comments in the unRAID forums somewhat over built in terms of processor, 5-in-3 hot swap cases that are even more expensive than the Norco's discussed upthread, etc. There is another guy stateside who is a frequent contributor on the UnRAID forums who also custom builds whole servers but they are in the same general price range.

Its really worth building your own.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
seand Wrote:Its really worth building your own.

+1
seand Wrote:Lime-technology, the folks who make UnRaid software, also sells pre-built boxes

Shocker your back. Also not quite right with your info again. You would think Lime-technology would be selling the servers they have listed but they haven't had any in stock to sell for a long time now. They were supposed to have a new product line out Q1 of this year but it hasn't happened yet. So unfortunately currently you can not buy servers from Lime-technology. But there are a few members of the forum that have started up business selling pre-built servers.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?board=40.0
(Top 3 stickied threads)
Nice to hear from you as well, snookums. I never said I would stop posting, just that you were getting more than a little tiring - even to me - on that one particular topic.

Is there any evidence that if and when they start to sell pre-assembled boxes that prices will be priced dramatically lower than they were?

No? Well then the point stands.

You do realize of course there are ways to chip in and expand on a topic without going out of your way to attack or belittle the other poster - especially if the other poster is just basically sticking in a link to more complete information. You might give it a try some time.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
(FYI - topic is normally synonymously with thread)
Sorry that I was tiring you out, I guess it takes a lot of energy to argue with reason/reality. I gave up on you long ago. I'm just trying to let people know some real and useful info. I won't let you get in the way.

I do find it very funny that you always add in some point that is never there. I never said anything about prices but somehow that's what you decided to make an issue over this time around.

At least the link I proved was to companies that actually have servers you can currently buy. (Nothing against lime-tech) The link you provided is to a server that will never be produced again due to the fact the Lian Li doesn't make that case anymore.

I think you should read your last paragraph to yourself a couple of times. Then if you still think I was in the wrong go re-read this thread again and if you still don't get it well then there is no hope for you.

I had a post written to dismiss seand's "facts" but I decided to leave it alone as I feel there was enough info for everyone to make an informed decision. What also didn't get posted was my apology to eskro for mucking up his thread with this nonsenses. I haven't ever been personally attacked before so I felt the need to fight back but I should have know it was futile. "Don't argue with an idiot, they will only pull you down to their level" Sorry eskro.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Entry-Level unRAID Server Build1