• 8(current)
Entry-Level unRAID Server Build
Dumb question here. You call it an unRAID server build.. But this is really just a NAS pc built here correct? So I could use these parts and install Freenas on it or WHS if wanted?
Basicall yes, except unRAID runs off a flash drive so you might need to add an OS drive.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
^^ okay thanks I just wanted to make sure I wasn't restricted to only unRAID even though that's what I'll prob end up using I hate being restricted Smile lol

So I could ad an SSD drive to this if wanted to run my OS? I assume that would take away 1 less from how many HD's I can throw in there.
eskro Wrote:+1 for the LIAN LI PC-Q08B

its so great that im also thinking to make a place for it in Poofy & I's unRAID Guide!!

Would love to see that!
Heres my build, all items from newegg:
Case-Ark 4U-500 (This goes on sale every few weeks for 59.99 shipped, but you can use a different case if you want to save even more)
Biostar TA785G3HD Micro ATX Motherboard 46.00 Open box.
AMD Sempron 140 CPU 37.99
Coolermaster Elite 460 Power Supply 29.99 On Sale.
Kingston 1GB DD3 1066 Ram 12.99
Just need a Flash drive (about $7) and some monoprice Sata cables at under $2 each, and you are ready to go.
dtviewer Wrote:Heres my build, all items from newegg:
Case-Ark 4U-500 (This goes on sale every few weeks for 59.99 shipped, but you can use a different case if you want to save even more)
Biostar TA785G3HD Micro ATX Motherboard 46.00 Open box.
AMD Sempron 140 CPU 37.99
Coolermaster Elite 460 Power Supply 29.99 On Sale.
Kingston 1GB DD3 1066 Ram 12.99
Just need a Flash drive (about $7) and some monoprice Sata cables at under $2 each, and you are ready to go.

Thanks I'm looking up the parts in your build now. And you use unRAID? Looks like you paid around $200 for your server very nice price. My price range to build one is $250-$350 MAX and not sure where to start. I may just do what's on first page of this thread..
i just want to say how grateful I am for you guys' recommendations. This is one of the best, most organized, and frequently updated resources i've ever found for certain hardware recommendations. you guys rock.
xoxoxo
toymachine2009 Wrote:Thanks I'm looking up the parts in your build now. And you use unRAID? Looks like you paid around $200 for your server very nice price. My price range to build one is $250-$350 MAX and not sure where to start. I may just do what's on first page of this thread..

I use UnRaid plus, its good for up to 6 hard drives. Me and a friend built identical servers at the same time and split a 2-pack of Unraid server software keys.
It was 99 for 2, so 50 each and just shy of 200 for all the hardware so my build totaled 250 plus hard drives.
(I have stuck with 2tb drives because they are in the sweet spot right now, can pick them up for 65 each at newegg.)
^^ looked up a lot of your parts and either they are no longer on new egg anymore and also some are not on sale anymore. For example you got your motherboard for $46 I found it online for in the $70s
toymachine2009 Wrote:^^ looked up a lot of your parts and either they are no longer on new egg anymore and also some are not on sale anymore. For example you got your motherboard for $46 I found it online for in the $70s

I figured some wouldnt be found anymore.
I built mine about a year ago, and when I bought my MB it was an open box discounted item.

I would either stick with what is in the first post as far as a MB or go to the unraid forums and see what they recommend over there.

One thing to consider is to get a motherboard with the most SATA ports you can.
dtviewer Wrote:I figured some wouldnt be found anymore.
I built mine about a year ago, and when I bought my MB it was an open box discounted item.

I would either stick with what is in the first post as far as a MB or go to the unraid forums and see what they recommend over there.

One thing to consider is to get a motherboard with the most SATA ports you can.

Yea I'll prob just do the one in the first post and upgrade to an AMD athlon dual core and 4 gig of ram. I just not sure I want to use that case. A small one like this would be better but not sure if all this would fit in it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811112265
aoaaron Wrote:can anyone post some really easy tutorials for installing SAB + CP + SB to an unraid server?

some of the tutorials seem to skip steps or not explain them, e.g. "edit your go script".. what is a go script, where is it, how do i edit it? etc.

Go script is a startup script on the UnRAID OS flash drive, editable with any simple text editor (i.e. that won't insert extra word precessing formatting into the file). Its located at /boot/config/go on the flash drive. If you want to do it manually the best instructions are still here.
http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.ph...ed_servers

But you don't need to install the trio of apps manually because there is now automatic installation scripts included in UnMenu which is an enhanced UnRaid management web demon everyone should install anyway. Useful for many things besides this, like disk management, safely shutting down your box without having to telnet in, etc.

However if you want to give Headphones a spin for a Couch Potato like interface for downloading music you will have to follow the manual instructions above inserting for example Headphones.py and the headphones tar file where appropriate. I'm far from a Linux ace and it was dead easy to repeat the same process for Headphones.

Don't know if you have already solved this (probably) but I thought I'd include it if its handy for others.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
eskro Wrote:@T800: sure!

ASRock 880GM-LE's Slots & Ports:
----------------------------

PCI Express 2.0 x16: 1
PCI Express x1: 1
PCI: 2
SATA-II Ports: 6

1 PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot = 8 hard drives using this Here
1 PCI Express x1 slot = 2 hard drives using this Here
2 PCI slots = 2 hard drives using this Here
6 SATA-II ports = 6 hard Drives

So thats a total of 18HDD's Smile

And note that even tho there's 2 old school PCI slots,
its not recommended to place more then 1 Sata card there
since they use share bandwith...
So yeah, 1 of the 2 PCI slots stay empty...

I have found a 2 port PCI Express x 1 card in the UK:
http://www.component-warehouse.co.uk/sta...e=googleps

I can't find a 2 port PCI card in the UK and the Supermicro isn't in stock anywhere in the UK either.

Anyone know of any stock of the 8 port or a 2 port PCI cards?
hmmm,,,
Hard to find indeed,,,
all i found was a 10 pack for £259.81
http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?...ce=froogle
unreal,,
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Entry-Level unRAID Server Build1