• 14(current)
Looking to Build Your Very First unRAID Server?
If you use Dynamix plugins: WebGui plugin goes to flash/boot/plugins and all the rest (of Dynamix like S3) goes to flash/boot/config/plugins. You can install Plugin Controll (part of Dynamix) which allows you to control your plugins through the web gui.
^^ Thank for that info. I haven't upgraded my server to the 5.o version yet, so I haven't really kept up with all the new plugins and features.
Your best bet for info for unRAID is the forums. Its basically one guy/programmer, so the documentation is often way behind.

I updated to 5.0, but was waiting on 5.0.3 to make sure the "new" webgui was working properly.

Now i see all this stuff about Dynamix (never even heard of it, it was only started in late Dec 2013, so thats VERY new in unRAID land).

You'll find, with unRAID, once you have it working, you don't touch it because it becomes more like an appliance.

I do run airvideo on it (i stream to my ipad on my commute) and can say it works great. Previously, I ran airvideo from my Win7 box.

I also use a cache drive just to hold my static plugin data, instead of having to always spin up a hdd just to check on a plugin. (also have mysql database installed/running on unRAID for my XBMC clients)

I might try running tvheadend on it next, but its working well so far on one of my OE boxes, so I'm sticking with that for now.

So, check the forums, that is where you will find the most up to date info.
Apparently the Air Video guys just stopped their development during mid-beta and released a new Server and new iOS App called Air Video HD which does not yet work with unRaid. I don't blame unRaid in any way but this kinda sucks ass. Currently my Air Video Server running on Windows works for most of the stuff though, but still, this is a major let down for existing customers of Air Video.
unRAID 6.x is in beta and 5.05 is out as a maintenance release. 6.x is enabling the Xen and KVM kernel options and will be 64bit. unRAID will act as the DOM0 much like ESXi does for many of us today and instead of virtualizing unRAID unRAID will be responsible for virtualizing other OS.

Many of these plugins that have been difficult to keep up to date will be easily installed in a slim Linux VM as standard packaged code from repos.

Stay tuned - unRAID is getting very very interesting these days!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Wow, I have to find some free time and get my server upgraded. I feel so left behind now. Smile

Not left behind now. I feel all warm and fuzzy now.
I upgraded to 5.05.
The only problem I have with virtualization is that the standby mode usually does not really work. I have experimented with this in the past since I have Windows Clients and Macs in my home thus I need a Time Machine Backup but would also like to use Windows Home Server on the same machine. As long as you keep the server running 24x7 all is fine, but suspending it causes problems. Also the CPU needs to support Virtualization features, otherwise performance is very poor. My low cost 2100T doesn't support it atm.

On my Macbook I use Parallels to host multiple Windows VMs and when I close the lid OSX and the Windows VMs go into standby without a problem - I wonder why it doesn't work with other Virtualization programs.
my unRAID hdds spin down when not in use (my apps/cache drive is a cheap SSD).

So I never have it go to sleep. I see the benifits of it, I just don't bother.

I also moved from a win7 machine that had extra hdds in it, and had to be on all the time anyway.
My drives spin down after 15 minutes of inactivity and I also do not put my server to sleep. Never saw a need to do that , but could be beneficial to others.
I'm looking to build an unraid server in the coming weeks, but have some concerns as to whether I will be able to have xbmc running live tv via my hdhomerun.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

One thing to note is that I have had trouble configuring anything other than mythtv for Australian tv channels the past.... any input as to if unraid can run myth would be great!

Thanks
My HTPC - | Ubuntu 12.04 | XBMC 12.0 Frodo | SilverStone LC20B | Asus F1A75-M PRO FM1 | AMD A8-3870 3.0GHZ | Nvidia Ge Force GT 430 | Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB | Antec 520W ATX NEO 520C ECO PSU | 64GB Corsair SSD | 5 x 2TB Green HDD | HD Homerun | Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit USB | Astraweb Usenet | SABnzbd+ | CouchPotato | SickBeard
(2014-02-10, 05:07)mccarneychris Wrote: I'm looking to build an unraid server in the coming weeks, but have some concerns as to whether I will be able to have xbmc running live tv via my hdhomerun.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

One thing to note is that I have had trouble configuring anything other than mythtv for Australian tv channels the past.... any input as to if unraid can run myth would be great!

Thanks

Doesn't look good:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...ic=18360.0

Plus, the more things you run, the more issues you "might" have. The main downfall to using something like unRAID is that its a customized ver of a linux distro. So it doesn't always have everything included you might want (in fact, it probably has most things not needed actually removed) and once you start adding LOTS of addons, some require different versions of things like python, and other dependicies, etc.

It DOES have tvheadend included, (and i think the drivers for HDHOMERUN), but I haven't tried it myself. It does seem to work for me on an OE machine, so i'm ok with that so far. Though if i want to start recording a lot, I see the benifit to it being ON the server and access to the servers hdds.

One thing that does happen, is people like to virtualize unRAID, then setup a second linux based VM to run all the addons seperatly (all the stuff in your sig, for example) so that if something goes haywire with them, or you need to reboot that, it doesn't affect the file server.
Good news. Unraid 6.0 is currently in beta. It uses Xen as the base, where the unraid server is the main/host vm, and you can add other vms and run whatever you want in them without compromising unraid's stability. It's like having vm functionality built into unraid. It's really cool
Thats not good news, cause thats gonna make me want to buy a ton of new hardware that supports VMs Wink
I'm not a vm guru, but as far as I read on unraid forums, you don't need any special equipment unless you're trying to pass through pci and stuff. Any relatively modern hardware should handle Linux vms and most hardware should handle windows (they did mention that windows vms under xen require one feature that some atom cpus don't support) but don't quote me on that
I have an extra server laying around that I plan on trying out the 6.03 Beta on. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to Build Your Very First unRAID Server?18