[LINUX] Music playback problem
I've got XBMCBuntu based on 11.04 Natty running video just fine, but if I select an MP3 from my music collection for playback, XBMC quickly restarts and brings me back to the main menu with no music. What could be the issue?
Antec Fusion Max Remote: Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo; 1GB DDR2; AMD Athlon 64 3500+; nVidia GT210 512MB DDR2; Boot: 320GB SATA; Media Storage: 2 x 1TB RAID 1 on Sil3114; Ubuntu 11.04 minimal + XBMC
The log will tell you.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Have you tried this? Maybe you are missin libmad0 for audio decoding.

Try:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libmad0
Mixerious Wrote:Have you tried this? Maybe you are missin libmad0 for audio decoding.

Try:

Code:

This is the sort of thing I was hoping for. The minimal Ubuntu install is missing everything but OpenSSH. I'm surprised that XBMC hasn't taken care of it, though.
jmarshall Wrote:The log will tell you.

How does one inspect the log? XBMC log?
Shaker666 Wrote:This is the sort of thing I was hoping for. The minimal Ubuntu install is missing everything but OpenSSH. I'm surprised that XBMC hasn't taken care of it, though.

Well that's why it is "minimal". Most minimal Systems don't need mp3 playback support Wink

You can find all the infos about XBMC Log Files in the Wiki:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_File
Mixerious Wrote:Well that's why it is "minimal". Most minimal Systems don't need mp3 playback support Wink

You can find all the infos about XBMC Log Files in the Wiki:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_File

XBMC should have the audio codec libs as a dependency. Videos playback properly WITH audio... it's just the music playback that's not functioning. Regardless, the system is setup using 11.04 and that's where the majority of issues seem to be stemming from. I'm contemplating reverting back to 10.10.
Mixerious Wrote:Have you tried this? Maybe you are missin libmad0 for audio decoding.

Try:

Code:

THANKS !!

I have been having problems with mp3 playback on my system lately, xbmc
would just crash and reboot each time. Im on nightlys and this happened
some time back. I do not run a minimal system, jsut a default xbmc-live with nightlies enabled. There is a ticket about smb problems so i thought it was something with that.

However i tried to install libmad0 and it totally fixed my mp3 problems, thanks you !!!
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
so xbmc depends on libmad0 in natty... README.linux says when compiling it is used, I noticed that its not the only dependency that buggered on the unstable ppa, if you rewind to Lucid it asks for uxlaunch which of course doesn't exist in Lucid.

I would say install all the packages required on xbmcbuntu or full destop and compile ontop to fix any other weird deps.
Hmmm didn't realize that the nightly's has unsolved debs on lucid
systems. Maybe time for a distupgrade Wink
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
not debs... flip the b vertically into a p
X3lectric Wrote:not debs... flip the b vertically into a p

LOL

So I wanted to try to install libmad0, but the wireless has gone down 100%. Apparently, 11.04 has major issues with RALink 2800 series WLAN. The consensus seems to be to revert to 10.10. 11.04 is a buggy release! I should've done some research on it before getting into it this far.
yep and this is why I wait a year before upgrading distros. New distros = new troubles, not only takes shit loads to tweak everything but then you have to start again with new shit.
Just so you all know, the latest unstable as of 2nd November still has this problem (libmad0 not being installed as a dependancy)

Setup = 10.10 Maverick x64 minimal.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Music playback problem0