• 141(current)
XBMC Constellation For iPad/iPhone by FSS.cc (unofficial remote)
(2012-11-30, 11:27)Cadish Wrote:
(2012-11-30, 10:12)CyrilP Wrote: Dear Archigo, I think there is a misunderstanding. In fact Constellation App is not launching anymore EVEN out my home network. I mean, the app crash at launch when there are also no xbmc device in range to be connected. I try all you said (force quit / reboot) no change. I will try the experimental sync (by the way what you mean by experimental ?) Is a corrupted database (on the app) could lead to a crash at every run ? Thanks for your time, I will PM you back if it occurs again with experimental sync.

Also feel free to ask me test thing on my Pi runnging latest OpenElec (based on last git comit from xbmc repo). I have strong knoweldge in several languages so feel free to ask me what ever could be usefull to you Smile

You're not alone. I'm also running OpenElec (2.95.2 - x86_64 ION), and Constellation crashes immediately after starting on my iPad.

On my iPad Constellation is still working (but I use it less than the iPhone one). The settings are the same.
(2012-11-30, 10:12)CyrilP Wrote: Dear Archigos, I think there is a misunderstanding. In fact Constellation App is not launching anymore EVEN out my home network. I mean, the app crash at launch when there are also no xbmc device in range to be connected. I try all you said (force quit / reboot) no change. I will try the experimental sync (by the way what you mean by experimental ?) Is a corrupted database (on the app) could lead to a crash at every run ? Thanks for your time, I will PM you back if it occurs again with experimental sync.

Also feel free to ask me test thing on my Pi runnging latest OpenElec (based on last git comit from xbmc repo). I have strong knoweldge in several languages so feel free to ask me what ever could be usefull to you Smile
Ok, you're correct, I misunderstood part of it earlier... so you're saying when you touch the Constellation icon on your home screen, it 'tries' to open and either quits directly to your home screen or goes to a full black (or white) screen for a bit then back to the home screen, either way you don't see the actual Constellation interface. Is your device(s) jailbroken by chance? I know awhile back I had a Cydia tweak on my iPad (don't remember which one) that caused hell to Constellation (and a bunch of other apps for that matter) that didn't get resolved even after removing the tweak... I had to do a full restore on my iPad to fix the issue. Not saying that's your problem, but the real reason I mention jailbroken device is you mentioned about possibly corrupt database and I can point you to the location/file you'd need to delete so you can try the app again. (I haven't attempted a manual delete of the database and have no idea if the removal of the file will 'damage' the app... I guess worse case scenario, a reinstall of Constellation would solve that if it does.)

As far as the buddy I was going to have run tests on Raspberry for me... I was referencing having them install XBMC, SickBeard, and some of the other HTPC apps, as well as create some dummy media since I already have VPN access to their network, so I could remote in to test some things (mainly for a PHP project I'm working on, but in your case it'd give me a way to test Constellation against a RaspPi install since I don't use it)

And the "Experimental Sync" is just a different way for Constellation to try and pull the data from XBMC... Dawid partly explained it to me once, but sadly I don't remember much of the differences... but the main one boils down to, if you can leave that turned off and it works, great... if somethings broke you can try it... otherwise leave it off unless Dawid, Burb or I ask you to use it.

In your followup to Cadish, you mention your iPad version works (I assume fine?) and it's only the iPhone version that is crashing? Last question, are you using the version of Constellation from the AppStore or are you a beta tester?

(2012-11-30, 11:27)Cadish Wrote: You're not alone. I'm also running OpenElec (2.95.2 - x86_64 ION), and Constellation crashes immediately after starting on my iPad.
Having both you and CyrilP comment on that version of OpenELEC may point to the latest git version either having a potential bug or missing a file/update for a bug that had already been patched. I know they had issues with things like that back when OpenELEC was in the earlier stages... if that's the case, you'll either need a patch or have to wait for them to release an update.
HTPC 1: 64-bit Quad Core 3.4GHz Athlon X4 / 16GB DDR3 / (8) 2TB / 42" Vizio / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
HTPC 2: 64-bit Quad Core 2.0GHz / 8GB DDR3 / 1TB / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
My Personal Blog - NewsDemon | Text size doesn't seem to be working anymore for signatures?
(2012-11-30, 15:17)Archigos Wrote: Ok, you're correct, I misunderstood part of it earlier... so you're saying when you touch the Constellation icon on your home screen, it 'tries' to open and either quits directly to your home screen or goes to a full black (or white) screen for a bit then back to the home screen, either way you don't see the actual Constellation interface. Is your device(s) jailbroken by chance? I know awhile back I had a Cydia tweak on my iPad (don't remember which one) that caused hell to Constellation (and a bunch of other apps for that matter) that didn't get resolved even after removing the tweak... I had to do a full restore on my iPad to fix the issue. Not saying that's your problem, but the real reason I mention jailbroken device is you mentioned about possibly corrupt database and I can point you to the location/file you'd need to delete so you can try the app again. (I haven't attempted a manual delete of the database and have no idea if the removal of the file will 'damage' the app... I guess worse case scenario, a reinstall of Constellation would solve that if it does.)

As far as the buddy I was going to have run tests on Raspberry for me... I was referencing having them install XBMC, SickBeard, and some of the other HTPC apps, as well as create some dummy media since I already have VPN access to their network, so I could remote in to test some things (mainly for a PHP project I'm working on, but in your case it'd give me a way to test Constellation against a RaspPi install since I don't use it)

And the "Experimental Sync" is just a different way for Constellation to try and pull the data from XBMC... Dawid partly explained it to me once, but sadly I don't remember much of the differences... but the main one boils down to, if you can leave that turned off and it works, great... if somethings broke you can try it... otherwise leave it off unless Dawid, Burb or I ask you to use it.

In your followup to Cadish, you mention your iPad version works (I assume fine?) and it's only the iPhone version that is crashing? Last question, are you using the version of Constellation from the AppStore or are you a beta tester?

(2012-11-30, 11:27)Cadish Wrote: You're not alone. I'm also running OpenElec (2.95.2 - x86_64 ION), and Constellation crashes immediately after starting on my iPad.
Having both you and CyrilP comment on that version of OpenELEC may point to the latest git version either having a potential bug or missing a file/update for a bug that had already been patched. I know they had issues with things like that back when OpenELEC was in the earlier stages... if that's the case, you'll either need a patch or have to wait for them to release an update.

Exactly, it tries to open and crash (the only thing I see is the splashscreen for about 3s on my 4S). It goes back to springboard without any black screen. My device is not jaillbroken (I quit jaillbreak as it add nasty things and unstability for a while now). And as I'm not jaillbroken, I can't delete the database by hand.

Feel free for any testing with my Openelec and RPi constellation tests. On my iPad is still working but as I said I don't use it too instensively. On my iphone I bought the app 2 weeks ago, it has been working fine for about 1 weeks and crash as I mention above. I remove the app, install it again, use it for few days and crashed again after a few day.

I'm using the AppStore relase (and bought the full pack for it), feel free to add me as a beta tester Smile (are you using things like https://testflightapp.com, it's usefull for beta testing and feedback).

For the info the openelec release I use is based on https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/8f38...79009a6e9d (last commit).

Thanks a lot for theses fast answer
To add you as a beta tester, you have to PM Dawid with the subject line "Constellation Beta" and include your email address, which iOS device(s) you would test with along with the iOS version. And yes, the beta testing is via TestFlight Smile

I'll read the OpenELEC stuff after I get home from the doctors... It's a pain to do this on my iPhone while dealing with them jabbing needles into me.
HTPC 1: 64-bit Quad Core 3.4GHz Athlon X4 / 16GB DDR3 / (8) 2TB / 42" Vizio / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
My Personal Blog - NewsDemon | Text size doesn't seem to be working anymore for signatures?
(2012-11-30, 18:40)Archigos Wrote: To add you as a beta tester, you have to PM Dawid with the subject line "Constellation Beta" and include your email address, which iOS device(s) you would test with along with the iOS version. And yes, the beta testing is via TestFlight Smile

I'll read the OpenELEC stuff after I get home from the doctors... It's a pain to do this on my iPhone while dealing with them jabbing needles into me.

I will to that Smile Good luck with you needles !
Only 4 needles (1 of which is radioactive) so it's better than a lot of other days...
I just downloaded Frodo beta and when using the constellation app on my ipad mini running latest iOS, the mini hangs after I close it(hitting power button just once). When I go to open it up the mini goes to the auto lock screen instead after a very long delay? This can only be avoided by double tapping the iPads round button and permanently closing constellation, but if its running in the background the mini restarts extremely slowly and will not open up into the app again. Suggestions or is this a known problem? I just installed Frodo and this began right after.
There's a few things this could be... If you are talking about "Frodo Beta 1" it's probably not an API change causing it since most of that has been taken care by the latest version, but if you are talking about the latest "Frodo Nightly" there could be API changes in XBMC causing the issue.

Just for this question, ignore the speed/delay issue... after the device is in 'sleep' (tapping the power button once), when you try to 'wake' it, you're saying that when it does come back on it's back to the Home Screen instead of going directly into Constellation? This part of the issue may technically have nothing to do with Constellation, since I find a lot of the time if I had an app open when I put it to sleep, I'd guess around 30% of the time when I wake the device it goes to the Home Screen instead of the previous app (doesn't matter if it was Constellation or anything else, the IMDB app for example).

A few tests you can try (in order):
1.) Scroll up a few posts to where I did some screenshots, look for the one about "Overide LockScreen" (in the "Apple Settings App") and make sure that's turned off. - then test.
2.) Leave the lockscreen override off and turn on "Experimental Sync" - then test.
3.) In Constellation, go to the Settings menu (the Cog icon) and remove the 'local database', force close the app and reopen to sync again.
4.) [Not recommended unless you have to] If you're using a Frodo Nightly, back up XBMC's userdata folder, then download the official "Frodo Beta" (which will probably be older than the Nightly) and install that. WARNING: Pending on how you upgrading to Frodo, this may damage/corrupt your libraries causing you to have to re-scrape all your data.

Since I'm not sure what device you're running XBMC on or if you installed whichever version of Frodo over a previous install, there's a chance the database/libraries got corrupt anyway. When they first released the official Frodo Beta there was a corruption issue for some Windows users that did an 'in place upgrade' and to fix it, you either had to dump XBMC and install a fresh copy (not overwrite an older one) or thankfully, the XBMC Team released a patched Beta installer to correct the issue shortly after... the point is, there's a slim chance you may have fallen into the 'oops, sh!! happens" category on this particular install.

If tests 1 to 3 above don't work and you don't want to try test 4 (I wouldn't blame you, the size of my library would take FOREVER) then please respond with some more details, include (at minimum) the following information (even stuff that's already been mentioned).

What exact version of XBMC are you running? (This can be found by going into "System Settings" on XBMC)
What device/Operating System is XBMC running on?
What iOS device is being used? (if you state it again, it saves me and others having to go back to check)
What exact iOS version is the device running? (Go to "Apple Settings" -> "General" -> "About" and it's listed under "Version")
Any other details you think are relevant...
Archigos: thank you for the screenshots. That's what I do.
The override lockscreen option was always off.
Don't understand... Sad
(2012-12-01, 13:05)lndiana Wrote: Archigos: thank you for the screenshots. That's what I do.
The override lockscreen option was always off.
Don't understand... Sad

I also try some of the things archigos suggest and still the constellation crashes the whole device when lock screen appears on ipad2, iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1.1, frodo beta 1. The problem been happening for quite some time.

Does anyone know why this app crashes the device when playing a movie and then entering the lock screen?

Sorry I took so long to give feedback. I've been using the official remote app which works fine since constellation is buggy. But I would like to come back to constellation if the developer knows how to remove the crashing problems his/her app does at the lockscreen.
Indiana & Newsleecher:
Sorry the suggestions haven't helped... I can't for the life of me think of what would be causing this issue for you... I'm using different hardware from you guys, but for the most part iOS technically should act the same across the devices so I don't think it's an issue with that but I haven't really experienced this issue on my end so I have no real way to try and debug it. Don't get me wrong, I have had this issue come up once in a great while, but at least in my case it only happens like once or twice every hundred or so uses of the app, and I think I narrowed it down on my devices as being caused by a certain jailbreak tweak.

Sadly, unless I come up with any more ideas, I think I have to leave this one for Dawid and his team to see if they have any suggestions/answers since I'm just a beta tester and not actually part of the development team.

Wish I could have helped more. Sad
I just downloaded Froda beta 1 this week(latest one available that's not a nightly build).

I tried steps 1-3 and still have issues. The ipad still freezes up when trying to wake after leaving constellation. Then I also struggle to get constellation back (green light on). Same issues as the person who just posted above me.

Running ipad mini with 6.0.1 and Frodo was updated over the previous Eden build, I didn't whipe Eden out before.

(2012-12-01, 09:39)Archigos Wrote: There's a few things this could be... If you are talking about "Frodo Beta 1" it's probably not an API change causing it since most of that has been taken care by the latest version, but if you are talking about the latest "Frodo Nightly" there could be API changes in XBMC causing the issue.

Just for this question, ignore the speed/delay issue... after the device is in 'sleep' (tapping the power button once), when you try to 'wake' it, you're saying that when it does come back on it's back to the Home Screen instead of going directly into Constellation? This part of the issue may technically have nothing to do with Constellation, since I find a lot of the time if I had an app open when I put it to sleep, I'd guess around 30% of the time when I wake the device it goes to the Home Screen instead of the previous app (doesn't matter if it was Constellation or anything else, the IMDB app for example).

A few tests you can try (in order):
1.) Scroll up a few posts to where I did some screenshots, look for the one about "Overide LockScreen" (in the "Apple Settings App") and make sure that's turned off. - then test.
2.) Leave the lockscreen override off and turn on "Experimental Sync" - then test.
3.) In Constellation, go to the Settings menu (the Cog icon) and remove the 'local database', force close the app and reopen to sync again.
4.) [Not recommended unless you have to] If you're using a Frodo Nightly, back up XBMC's userdata folder, then download the official "Frodo Beta" (which will probably be older than the Nightly) and install that. WARNING: Pending on how you upgrading to Frodo, this may damage/corrupt your libraries causing you to have to re-scrape all your data.

Since I'm not sure what device you're running XBMC on or if you installed whichever version of Frodo over a previous install, there's a chance the database/libraries got corrupt anyway. When they first released the official Frodo Beta there was a corruption issue for some Windows users that did an 'in place upgrade' and to fix it, you either had to dump XBMC and install a fresh copy (not overwrite an older one) or thankfully, the XBMC Team released a patched Beta installer to correct the issue shortly after... the point is, there's a slim chance you may have fallen into the 'oops, sh!! happens" category on this particular install.

If tests 1 to 3 above don't work and you don't want to try test 4 (I wouldn't blame you, the size of my library would take FOREVER) then please respond with some more details, include (at minimum) the following information (even stuff that's already been mentioned).

What exact version of XBMC are you running? (This can be found by going into "System Settings" on XBMC)
What device/Operating System is XBMC running on?
What iOS device is being used? (if you state it again, it saves me and others having to go back to check)
What exact iOS version is the device running? (Go to "Apple Settings" -> "General" -> "About" and it's listed under "Version")
Any other details you think are relevant...

Archigos : I understand and don't blame you at all.
You tried to help us and that's very cool. Thank you.
I think it's caused by a jailbreak tweak too. It appears on my 2 jailbroken devices.
But uninstalling don't resolve the trouble.
I use NoLockScreen, iWidget and LockInfo.
I think iWidget was the cause of the issues I had and to fix it I had to do a full restore on my device (just removing it didn't help) but in your case, I'd guess it's either NoLockScreen or LockInfo since the issues are based on when you put the device to sleep, which invokes the Lock.
(2012-12-02, 12:18)Archigos Wrote: I think iWidget was the cause of the issues I had and to fix it I had to do a full restore on my device (just removing it didn't help) but in your case, I'd guess it's either NoLockScreen or LockInfo since the issues are based on when you put the device to sleep, which invokes the Lock.

I think iWidget was the cause too. (LockInfo is installed on my iPhone but not on the iPad, and NoLockScreen not on the iPhone).
But I cannot restore the iPad because of a problem with iOS 5.1.1... and iOS 6 isn't jailbroken... Sad

I've to find wich files have been modified by iWidget and fix it manually.. Arg..
  • 141(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Constellation For iPad/iPhone by FSS.cc (unofficial remote)5