• 118(current)
XBMC Constellation For iPad/iPhone by FSS.cc (unofficial remote)
(2012-07-06, 20:38)rockstartower Wrote: I have Constellation on the ipad 3. I have used it for about two months now and have really enjoyed it.

I have a couple questions.

The library for the movies and tv shows always update really well for me, I never have any trouble with that. But I have noticed that the remote part has a little trouble. It will usually show what is playing and display it. But most of the time, the progress bar will be at 0, even though the movie or tv show may have been playing for any amount of time, and the volume scroll will be at 0.

To get the remote to update I will have to do something like pause, and play the movie, and to get the sound to reflect what the volume is at, I will have to actually scroll the volume up. After I do that, it will stay in time with the movie or tv show playing, but most of the time it will just show them both at 0 until I do that. I would say that the one single area that the official remote out performs this one is that it always seems to be in time with volume and seek bar. Other than that I prefer everything more with constellation.

---Above is more of a bug problem. Below is more of a question about a potential feature.

I don't know if this has been asked before, I tried to find if it has but 170 pages is a lot. The youtube player is awesome to be able to search and play any youtube video. I was curious if you have any plans to be able to comment on a video from the remote, or view comments. This would pretty much complete the entire experience of having the best remote for youtube.

These are both minor things that shouldn't be looked at as criticism. Overall excellent work on the remote, it's well worth the money.

your first problem (the remote section) will be fixed in the next update it's getting out of alpha this friday Smile it's taking long because this is a BIG one.
about the comments and youtube related stuff I will add this to our todo section but I just can't tell you when it will be done.

(2012-07-11, 14:31)stephanstricker Wrote: Hi,
is there any way to delete TV Shows with Constellation? It might be a custom action but I have no idea which one to use.

Stephan
Not currently as XBMC still isn't supporting editing stuff for JSON.

(2012-07-16, 03:06)0rganic Wrote: New to XBMC and Constellation. Love it, love it, love it. Paid for the Pro iPad app the day after I loaded it.

I've spent hours tinkering with Constellation, reading the forum posts, the wiki, and various YouTube vids. It looks like the "Features" section on the wiki has been promising updates for the better part of a year now. Honestly, reading through 176 pages on this thread alone is a bit much to try to learn how the app works. Confused

Anyone have any links to the really good posts within this thread? Or some better YouTube videos?

One main objective I have for my entire setup is to clean it up and lock it down so it's user-friendly for my wife & three young kids. I can't do tech support from work if one of the kids hoses up XBMC while I'm gone, and the wife sure wouldn't be happy.

Some specific questions:

1. I have edited the Constellation menus to remove Live TV, TV Shows and YouTube. However, when I return to the Dashboard screen, I'm seeing "Episodes" listed after the "Movies" section. I assume that's for TV Shows. How can I remove that?

2. I don't see an option to add "Movies" to the main menu. On the Confluence skin, the video add-on section is where I get to TED talks, DIYnet, etc. How do I get to that via Constellation without using the remote gestures to navigate the Confluence menu?

3. On the Dashboard screen, the Albums section only lists a few of my albums - all with titles starting with an "N", but not all the "N" albums. What is controlling what shows up here? Going to the Albums and changing sort/filter options doesn't seem to have an effect.

4. What is the purpose/effect of "Resync local data", "Remove database" and "Flush images cache" in the config menu? Is that affecting data just on my iPad, or on the XBMC machine?

5. On the control (?) menu (where you set up the host), what is the purpose/effect of the Update Library buttons? I've pressed them both briefly and held them long enough to light up, but nothing happens. No pop-up telling me something was complete or not installed or anything. It was fun watching the button light up, though!

Thanks for a really slick app! You'll be getting another $0.99 (minus what Apple takes) when I upgrade my wife's iPhone...
Nice to hear that you like it Wink
1) well you can't those are your recently added item's but I can see your point in this I will try to push this feature to our next release
2) for now you can't the xbmc json interface is still in dev and add-on listening isn't the main concern. You can run add ons from constellation in the remote section click the puzzle icon.
3) recently added to your library
4)
*Resync local data --> removes all your settings and data for the current host. (iPad/iPhone storage)
*Remove database --> removes all the data for all hosts (xbmc) (iPad/iPhone storage)
*Flush images cache --> removes all cached images i.e. if you change a image in xbmc you will have to use this to see the new one on the iDevice (iPad/iPhone storage)
5)watching the button light up, though --> LOOL ;-)
This will trigger the library update process it affects XBMC. Once you add a new movie to your sources folder you can use this to tell xbmc to refresh your data.
"Thanks for a really slick app! You'll be getting another $0.99 (minus what Apple takes) when I upgrade my wife's iPhone..." Thank you :-)

(2012-07-16, 20:14)meridius Wrote: Is there anyway of using sort title instead of the movie name as my movies are not in order

Its fine in xbmc but not in this app as I use alot of sort by sort title to keep them in order.

Cheers
This needs to be added ASAP Smile I will take care of it in the next update.
Regards
Would you like to join our beta testing team ? PM me :)
XBMC Constellation on Facebook
Thanks

Just as many movies don't have 1,2,3 and are named differently but to keep them in order u need to use the 2nd option if sort by title whic I name the movie and then put 1,2,3 after there names to keep them right.

Cheers
+ one on being able to comment on a YouTube video and view comments

Plus different view types for the YouTube section would be great
Hey, any news on the android version?
Cheers!
(2012-07-24, 08:28)e2zippo Wrote: Hey, any news on the android version?
Cheers!

+1 on this. Looking forward to having it on all my android devices. Also, I didn't see it announced anywhere but the main site seems to have been down for awhile: http://fss.cc/constellation/
I alway get:
404 Not Found

The request /constellation/ was not found on this server.

Great App though. I borrowed an iPad and tried it. Very well done. Thanks
@0rganic:
Glad you enjoy Constellation... I know Dawid responded to you already, but I just wanted to toss in some extra info. (The view I'm in right now, I can't see what Dawid wrote, so I may be repeating some information.) First, about the wiki... that's mostly my fault since I've been caught up with my medical issues and so many other projects that I truthfully forgot I even had the wiki... I wont make any promises, but I'll 'attempt' to update things on there (at least a little) by the end of the month.
The "clean it up and lock it down" comment, was that in reference to Constellation or XBMC itself? I assume XBMC, in which case, once you get all the screens configured (in XBMC) to display the way you want... (posters, banners, etc.) go into the Settings Menu and normally somewhere in the "Skin" section you'll find an option for Kiosk Mode. If you turn this on, it locks the current view for TV, Movies, etc. and in most cases completely removes any "Settings" window or section inside that view.
If you want to access your addons (like TED Talks, DIYnet, etc) from Constellation, as Dawid said, you can't get their interface to display on the iPad, but by clicking the little "Puzzle Piece" icon he mentioned (in the pull down navigation area) you can add little buttons that sit at the bottom of that area so you can touch TED Talks for example and (on XBMC) it will take you directly into the addon as if you navigated to it manually.
In reference to #3 in your post, all three sections on the Dashboard (TV, Movies, Albums) those lists are created by whatever the most recent things scanned into XBMC... and I'm not sure if you noticed, but if you swipe across those (left and right) you can scroll through more than just the ones you initially see (I'm not sure if it's a set number in Constellation or based on the "Most Recent" from XBMC, but I think the default floats around 15 of each type).
To clarify a little more on the buttons you mention in #4:
  • Resync local data - Tells Constellation to check XBMC for any new stuff and grabs the data if missing in Constellation
  • Remove database - Removes the copy of the database ONLY in Constellation and does not alter/effect XBMC itself
  • Flush image cache - As Dawid said, it dumps the local images (on your iPad/iPhone only) to grab the most recent images from XBMC
So, in essence, none of the above affect your XBMC system, just tells Constellation what to do with it's data and if it should get a fresh copy.

For "Update Library" buttons, you need to hold them in (and have 'fun watching the button light up') so that it will send the command to XBMC to tell it to update it's copy of the Audio or Video library. Having a 'hold' button like this prevents accidentally bumping the button and the obvious annoyance you'd experience if you ended up having to wait for a Library update all the time if you having shaky hands or aren't paying attention. Smile

And the last part to your post... since you've already paid for the full iPad version of Constellation, when you upgrade your wife's iPhone (only if they are attached to the same Apple ID) you can get Constellation on the iPhone for free. (If you and your wife use separate Apple accounts, it'd require a new purchase). After you download/sync the free version of Constellation onto her iPhone, touch the "Go Pro" button and then select the option for "Restore Purchase" and no matter what that little pop up box says about price, you will NOT be charged. (Blame Apple for the confusing part).

@mrv777 and e2zippo:
There's still no 'official' news on the Android version other than it is being worked on. And (purely a guess) I think the website being down is just a matter of they are either doing site updates, changing hosts, etc. since they did release another new Alpha/Beta version, about 12 hours ago I think is when I got the email, so no one needs to worry about them disappearing or abandoning the software.

@everyone:
I know people aren't always thrilled with signing up for 'yet another site', but if click the "Constellation Forums" link in my signature and post over there, you'd have the ability to create new topics/threads as opposed to having to skim through over 1700 posts to hopefully find what you were looking for. (Yes, there is captcha on that site, but it's to prevent spam and it goes away once you've hit 5 posts... I'm sorry about that)
HTPC 1: 64-bit Quad Core 3.4GHz Athlon X4 / 16GB DDR3 / (8) 2TB / 42" Vizio / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
HTPC 2: 64-bit Quad Core 2.0GHz / 8GB DDR3 / 1TB / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
My Personal Blog - NewsDemon | Text size doesn't seem to be working anymore for signatures?
Since the app is in Alpha/beta mode and not available to everyone, would it be possible to post some screenshots? I'm love this app and I'm really looking forward to the new version.
We can't post screenshots that show any of the new "special" features since the developers want them to be a full surprise. Tongue Sorry.
HTPC 1: 64-bit Quad Core 3.4GHz Athlon X4 / 16GB DDR3 / (8) 2TB / 42" Vizio / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
My Personal Blog - NewsDemon | Text size doesn't seem to be working anymore for signatures?
i just installed constellation to test it out
nice ! very nice!
Very easy setup!

One thing i didnt find, i dunno if it is even possible, is how i play audio/video directly to the ipad with it? Is that even possible?

Also theres a new version coming?
I've just heard about the new version you're working on, I'd like to say that constellation is my favorite remote app for xbmc in terms of functions available. The only downside I see is that I have to scroll to often. I feel there is so much wasted space when a cover or banner view is on my screen. I really hope that it is something you had in mind for the next version... Wink

I really like a screen with as much covers you can fit without it being too crowded! Maybe different view available like other remote app have, would be a nice touch. But even with that, this is still the best for xbmc and I tried all of them.
(2012-07-24, 23:16)mrv777 Wrote:
(2012-07-24, 08:28)e2zippo Wrote: Hey, any news on the android version?
Cheers!

+1 on this. Looking forward to having it on all my android devices. Also, I didn't see it announced anywhere but the main site seems to have been down for awhile: http://fss.cc/constellation/
I alway get:
404 Not Found

The request /constellation/ was not found on this server.

Great App though. I borrowed an iPad and tried it. Very well done. Thanks
+1 on this too. Can't wait to do at least a beta/alpha test on my android smartphone. I'm very very excited about that Big Grin

(2012-07-28, 13:09)Skank Wrote: i just installed constellation to test it out
nice ! very nice!
Very easy setup!

One thing i didnt find, i dunno if it is even possible, is how i play audio/video directly to the ipad with it? Is that even possible?

Also theres a new version coming?
This has been address many times before, "XBMC Constellation" does NOT play any of your Audio/Video media on your iDevice, however, for users that use both XBMC and Plex, the creators of Constellation (FSS.cc) also make "Plex Constellation" that streams your media so it will play directly on your iPad / iPhone.

(2012-07-29, 09:21)GENEOSYS Wrote: I've just heard about the new version you're working on, I'd like to say that constellation is my favorite remote app for xbmc in terms of functions available. The only downside I see is that I have to scroll to often. I feel there is so much wasted space when a cover or banner view is on my screen. I really hope that it is something you had in mind for the next version... Wink

I really like a screen with as much covers you can fit without it being too crowded! Maybe different view available like other remote app have, would be a nice touch. But even with that, this is still the best for xbmc and I tried all of them.

Sadly, iTunes is being a complete pain the butt for me right now so I can't check on my iPad right now (don't ask), but yes, there's been tweaks to the GUI on both the iPhone and iPad to help utilize the screen real-estate more... (especially to accommodate all the new features and stuff). No idea if they are planning on adding 'multiple views', but that'd be a great idea... I've been meaning to mention to them about maybe a view for TV shows that uses the logo.png instead of folder.jpg/poster.jpg/banner.jpg which pending on how it's scaled would put a lot of the shows on the screen at once reducing the scrolling as well.
Fantastic App!

I would like to know if it`s possible to get support for PseudoTV (Video) Addon?

Like the Live TV. So we can have a list of custom channels to PseudoTV?

Smile
This has been addressed as well many times... XBMC's API currently does not send Addon data, therefore you can't see PseudoTV's interface on your iPad/iPhone (or any other addon for that matter) I think they said that may/will change in the future... (I'm using the latest Pre-Frodo, but haven't been reading up on API changes lately).

The LiveTV interface is a different story since it's baked into the PVR builds of XBMC.

You can however still use your iDevice to navigate PseudoTV or other addons, you'll just have to look at your TV/Display like you do anyway.
For those that missed it... a lot of new details (and some screenshots) of Constellation 2.8 is available on the Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/xbmc.constellation
  • 118(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Constellation For iPad/iPhone by FSS.cc (unofficial remote)5