No network
I've been running XBMC for a long time now and had no problems with the network. I have it set to automatically detect IP from DHCP, which I think was default when I set it up over a year ago. Today my router died and I replaced it and set it up exactly the same way. Now XBMC (hard wired) won't see the router at all. The kicker is I have a video driver issue that prevents me getting to the shell to run any tests. Is there perhaps something I've overlooked? A port needs opening for example? I have the same DHCP IP range on the router, NAT disabled etc. etc. It's been so long since I set this up I just can't recall if there's something specific I need to enable somewhere.

Any help appreciated!
do you maybe filter based on MAC adress on your router?
do you see anything in your router logfiles?

can you login to a normal X session on your box, since CTRL+ALT+F1 for the shell won't work?
if all that fails, try booting from a linux live CD/USB to check if it works there.

btw, having NAT OFF seems strange, I'd guess it should be on to allow outgoing internet traffic.
Star 
I agree with snipex, its sound more like a router config issue to me, also do like snipex said to enter shell when xbmc doesnt boot into UI is via CTRL+ALT+F1 or CTRL+ALT+F2

CTRL+ALT+F7 return to xbmc. I presume reinstalling your video drivers should do the trick.

The packages probably still exist in apt cache.

in ubuntu you could try
Code:
sudo aptitude reinstall nvidia-current

or

sudo apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-current
this is presuming that your drivers arent manually installed.

Network mmm

try this on the box
Code:
sudo dhclient -r
sudo dhclient
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0
/etc/init.d/network restart
or
/etc/init.d/networking restart
Thanks guys. I've been able to get to the shell by booting from a Live USB and have run the commands above but still nothing. I checked the interface file and everything looks good ie:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Restarted network then ran sudo dhclient (-r or without). Still nothing. No light on LAN port either.

The only thing I noticed it says discovery on subnet 255.255.255.255, is that correct? On my router the internet is 255.255.255.0, although that's not changeable as is set automatically by my ISP.

Cheers.

Update: Looks like the lan port on my xbmc box is dead. I plugged in my 2nd unit (which I was using wirelessly in my bedroom) and the lan light started blinking as soon as I turned on the machine. On the other machine nada. Looks like I need to replace the lan card!

Thanks again.
If its a card and replaceable try taking it out and reseating it dust it off with compressed air or a brush
from shell:

sudo ethtool eth0

[edit] just noticed the part about dead lan port. that sucks.
ASRock ION 330
Ubuntu 11.10 x86_64 minimal install
xbmc from unstable ppa
hmmm, I've had problems with the lan light not blinking in the past, for me it was a problem in the bios(onboard lan)

most bioses nowadays have a built in lan checker, maybe your has it too.
you could give that a try.

if all else fails, there are plug in lan cards for ~20€/$
Thanks all for your response thus far. I have checked the bios and nothing really. This is an Acer Revo net-top so is pretty bare bones in terms of bios and there is no lan card, all built into the MB.

So I picked up a Trendnet USB-Ethernet adapter pretty cheap from Radio Shack (seriously, how are these guys still in business?), anyway does anyone know how to get this thing working in XBMC? I've been googling and finding stuff out about needing usbnet, asix modules and such and have tried a bunch of stuff but not having much luck getting the damn thing to work. lusb lists the device but I believe this has to be connected to usb0 or something?

Cheers.

Incidentally, if I boot from a live USB how can I make changes to my actual installed XBMC on my main hard drive? Do I need to mount the drive or something?
ah acer nettop... no sorry either way, wouldn't know where to start. Radio shack makes lots of business because of hardware geeks and those who can fix/replace the faulty parts such as the problem you have. Could be as simple as a transistor.
Does anyone know how to boot into the shell without starting up xbmc? That way I can play around with the settings on the actual install rather than the one I'm booting from USB. Something about grub comes to mind if I recall?
booot into xbmc and drop by ctr+alt+F1 or F2 to return same combo + F7
mrloofer Wrote:Does anyone know how to boot into the shell without starting up xbmc? That way I can play around with the settings on the actual install rather than the one I'm booting from USB. Something about grub comes to mind if I recall?

EDIT: I'm probably still not awake lol.. the steps below are ONLY neccessary if you boot from another medium e.g. install CD/USB.
If you boot your normal HD installed linux, you DO NOT NEED to do this.

if you want to use apt or install a driver on the old install, you need to chroot to it
Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/installed
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/installed
sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/installed/dev
sudo mount -t proc /proc /mnt/installed/proc
sudo chroot /mnt/installed

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No network0