Sluggish animations in latest dirty regions nightly builds
Hi,

I mentioned the problem already in the dirty regions thread, here are 2 new videos showing what I mean and it's much more noticeable this time. Dirty regions feature is disabled:

20110616-f12ca08
20110705-381ae37

As you can see, it's smooth in the first video and totaly sluggish in the second. Submenu animation on home also doesn't seem quite right. Were there any changes besides the dirty region feature which could cause this issue? Maybe some changes on database requests, background loading or something?

thanks
Mind if I ask, what skin is that and where can I find it?
brave little meme loves you.
That's Xperience1080 but it's not yet released.
Anyone?
There were some timing changes I think which may effect window close anims in particular, and I'm planning on reviewing them shortly.

What would be really useful is some nice, clear ways to show how smooth things are/should be without the weight of most skins on top (i.e. something simple that I can use to repeatedly test). Perhaps something with a slow-ish sliding element?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Are you asking us to code up something?
Yes please - basically something that shows the issue clearly without me needing to download a complex skin, have a heavily populated library etc.

The easier it is for me to reliably reproduce, the easier it will be for me to determine the root cause and fix it Smile
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Try this branch out:

https://github.com/jmarshallnz/xbmc/tree...ocess_time

EDIT: Billy the buildbot ftw: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/XBMC...11c-dx.exe

Cheers,
Jonathan

All I can say is that build is lightning fast for me. Especially noticeable when loading large images like fanart. I have a view where a wraplist contains fullscreen fanart, which can get sluggish when scrolling far and fast. So when you stop scrolling it takes some time for the image loading to "catch up". With this build it catches up almost instantly.
Yes, that solved it, fast & smooth again. Thanks Smile

Edit: Scrolling seems to be slower now, also the window open animation of my view from the view does lag sometimes slightly which it didn't with the older builds before the dirty regions... but it's much much better than it was before.

Edit2: Maybe process time is too fast now? Conditions on my window open / close animations on home are not working anymore.

Edit3: Hm, this messed up something, now my python scripts do not work anymore (that's why the conditions are not working - I'm running a script there) even with an older build!?

Edit4: My bad, please ignore edit 2+3. Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To sum it up:

Everything except window open animations (on some views) is working very fast and smooth, I fixed the scrolling problem by hiding the fanart on scrolling again. Window open problem seems to be related to the loading of the thumbs, maybe a slightly slower process time would fix it, seems to be faster than ever with this test build.
I've actually found that (with d-r on especially) the frame time is miles out - I can reproduce and will look at implementing a stable timer.

Thus, the above fix only really works if d-r is off, and only by chance then really.

Sounds good that you found the problem. I have d-r off because indeed the lags are much worse if it's on.
Hey guys, I need my fix tested. Grab this win32 build:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/XBMC..._times.exe

It should work just fine with d-r on or off, and should smooth out those anims for you.

Please test ASAP and let me know how things go.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Hm XBMC crashes / hangs everytime on startup with this build. Have to check debug log.
Same here.

Code:
WARNING: JSONRPC: Value does not match any of the enum values in type
WARNING: JSONRPC: Array element at index 0 does not match in type fields

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sluggish animations in latest dirty regions nightly builds0