Stream Audio Output to DLNA device
Hi,

we are currently struggling to stream music from our laptops to my new A/V receiver Onkyo TX-NR509.

Apparently most people use XMBC to "share" files that are located on a computer and access them using their media device. We however, would like to go the opposite way. I want to click a file on my macbook and then it's supposed to play on my A/V Receiver.

On my other laptop with windows, I can right-click a file, then click "ToPlay", then select TX-NR509, and windows media player will come up and play the file, and the audio output comes out of my AV/Receiver.

Is there any way to do this on the macbook, with or without XMBC?

Thanks in advance for your help! Smile

Best,
Matt
shairport. You don't need XBMC.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:shairport. You don't need XBMC.

Thanks for your quick reply. We tried googling Shairport, but that didn't really help... It seems to be a XMBC plugin or something? In any case we couldn't figure out how to do it. Can you maybe give us some help on how to use shairport or any other thing that'll work?

thanks in advance!

Best,
Matt
The technology your looking at (Win7 PlayTo) is DLNA DMC [digital media controller] which connects with a DLNA DMR [digital media renderer], XBMC does not support this, on top of that there are very few computer applications that leverage this.

Apple's Airplay tech works in a similar fashion but is point to point and does not require a DLNA server, what what might work for you is Airfoil (if you don't use iTunes) used in conjunction with the AppleTV. That will send all audio to the ATV which should output it to your receiver.

To bypass the ATV and play direct to the receiver your going to have to find some OSX DLNA DMC/DMR compliant program, there are plenty of these available for iOS if you have an iPhone like Plugplayer or DiXiM and so on, you'll need a DLNA server to access on the Mac so use Serviio.
I'm not sure he has an ATV2. It kind of sounds like he meant to post this in the Mac OS X forum and simply wanted to go from his Macbook to the receiver which has DLNA functionality built in.
Ned Scott Wrote:I'm not sure he has an ATV2. It kind of sounds like he meant to post this in the Mac OS X forum and simply wanted to go from his Macbook to the receiver which has DLNA functionality built in.

Thats exactly what I want. Thank you! I don't have apple TV and I don't think I need a DLNA Server (though I am not sure on that one since I am kindof a noob in this area).

Starstream Wrote:To bypass the ATV and play direct to the receiver your going to have to find some OSX DLNA DMC/DMR compliant program, there are plenty of these available for iOS if you have an iPhone like Plugplayer or DiXiM and so on, you'll need a DLNA server to access on the Mac so use Serviio

Well can you maybe point me to one of those plenty of programs? Because I kindof fail to find one, so far... Maybe I just look for the wrong stuff in google or sth?

We are grateful for any advice! Smile
Best,
SirTiger
Starstream Wrote:The technology your looking at (Win7 PlayTo) is DLNA DMC [digital media controller] which connects with a DLNA DMR [digital media renderer], XBMC does not support this, on top of that there are very few computer applications that leverage this.

Wanted to state that its also possible to use the normal uPnP MediaRenderer and MediaServer specs to accomplish it. Should be quite possible to add a "Play On" feature for those. Could perhaps make an addon hook for it to unify it with the apple thingy (if it can be made addonable, haven't really followed it)
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Wanted to state that its also possible to use the normal uPnP MediaRenderer and MediaServer specs to accomplish it. Should be quite possible to add a "Play On" feature for those. Could perhaps make an addon hook for it to unify it with the apple thingy (if it can be made addonable, haven't really followed it)

Sorry but I don't know how to make an addon... Is there no easy way to accomplish audio streaming from my macbook to the AVR without a computer science degree? Wink

Thanks in advance!!!
SirTiger Wrote:Sorry but I don't know how to make an addon... Is there no easy way to accomplish audio streaming from my macbook to the AVR without a computer science degree? Wink

Thanks in advance!!!

Since its not implemented yet it might be help the person who will implement it if he has one :p

EDIT: You could probably hack something together with external players and "Play with" though
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
SirTiger Wrote:Is there no easy way to accomplish audio streaming from my macbook to the AVR without a computer science degree? Wink

Yes. Boot Windows. Bootcamp or VM, pick your poison.

Why is this in the iOS support forum?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=120110
I'm sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm looking for something that fits this description! I found: http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac but it not as good as your software even though it does stream very well to my TV.

How is the progress looking on this?

DK

EDIT: Ignore this post, I didnt see the post above it, let me read that first, it might be what I was after!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stream Audio Output to DLNA device0