[AppleTV1] No Optical Audio for Stereo
Apple TV (i386) Version 3.0.2
Launcher 3.2.5
XBMC Pre 11.0 Git:20110710-594a2d5

No optical audio out for MP3 2.0 (avi container).

Optical audio out works fine for Dolby Digital 5.1 in avi containers.

XBMC Log File

I notice that the log file has the following entry:

Code:
15:35:42 T:2684407808 M: 20959232    INFO: MP3 pass through is disabled

It may be related, but I don't really know what it means.

I didn't have this problem when I was running the 10.1 release. I only started using the nightly releases because I'm trying to find versions that will run on a Mac, an AppleTV1 and an AppleTV2 which all use the same video database version.

HDMI to the TV. MP3 stereo audio does get to the TV via the HDMI cable.

Optical cable to the receiver which handles Dolby Digital and DTS.
So, only me, eh?

I downgraded to 10.1 (e9e9099) and now MP3 sound via optical cable is back.

So, there is clearly a bug in pre-11 594a2d5. Should I file a report? Well, if it's only me, then why bother?

Of course now my shared database is hosed as each of my three XBMC iterations is using a different database version.
You need to change your speaker configuration in XBMC to 2.0. Even though you may have 5.1 channels through your receiver, the S/PDIF (optical) media can only transport 2 channels. All of this is moot for passthrough, which ignores the speaker configuration.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

phi2039 Wrote:You need to change your speaker configuration in XBMC to 2.0. Even though you may have 5.1 channels through your receiver, the S/PDIF (optical) media can only transport 2 channels. All of this is moot for passthrough, which ignores the speaker configuration.

So this is a change from 10.1 to the pre-11 nightly releases? In 10.1 I have the audio config set to 5.1 and optical works fine with mp3 audio.

Anyway, when I was using the pre-11 release I tried changing the audio config to 2.0 (I actually tried them all) and that didn't work either.
Here's a screen shot showing audio settings that work with an optical cable in 10.1 with mp3 2.0 audio:

Sorry for the crappy quality, but I think the settings are clear.

These very same settings do not work for me in pre 11.
Please post a log from a session with the Speaker Configuration set to 2.0.

This is a setting we need to think about re-working, because it is misleading. The number of channels that can be sent out depends on the audio hardware that is connected, and has nothing to do with the number of speakers connected to your receiver. That said, it does not make much sense to send channels that do not have a speaker to go to, or to try to send channels that do not exist in the source (as is the case with you). Telling xbmc (on osx) that you have 5.1 channels means that it is going to try and output 6 channels of audio, but the atv1 only has 2 (even though it thinks it has 4).

Post and I will have a look.

-C
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I'm on holiday now and won't be back home for a few days.

If what you say is true, then why does setting 'Speaker Configuration' to 5.1 work fine on 10.1 but not at all in pre 11?

What changed?
In short...a lot has changed.

In 10.1, the audio renderer ignored the hardware capabilities...in the new code, it is attempting to make use of the best available situation. Since I only have so much hardware to test with...I need logs and tests from users to dial-in the best balance between user-configuration and auto-detected capabilities.

Interim quirks are the price of bleeding-edge builds...sorry.

-C

Thanks for the explanation. I'll be back home Monday. I'll do what I can to help out.
I just installed pre-11 5bbc9c2. With Speaker Configuration set to 2.0 both MP3 2.0 and Dolby Digital (5.1) are correctly output via the optical cable.

Thank-you.
No problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV1] No Optical Audio for Stereo0