- Cannot get Music to play on ATV2 installation
Sad 
Hi,

I'm a first timer, both for the forum and the ATV2 + XBMC mix.

I have a new ATV2 4.2.2 which I have Jailbroken with Seabreeze and using the resulting nitoTV ` addition to the Apple TV2 menu have successfully installed xbmc onto my little ATV2.

Movies play fine with the exception of buffering very large movies (2.5Gb.... which is understandable.)

However when it comes to music I get nothing. I can add sources, navigate the menus but when I try to play a tune it pauses/freezes on the first second of every song. I did manage to get music to play for 5/10 minutes last night but after a reboot it no longer worked. I have tried retracing my steps from yesterday with no luck and have exhausted every search engine I can think of.....

I have tried Home Sharing iTunes library and that works.

Appreciate any advise you can give

Dave
You're not alone, and I've finally found some reference to it on the internet (I thought I was going mad).

I've been using XBMC for years on an XBOX and moved to an ATV2 in February (I couldn't handle the noise of an old fan and a slowly getting noisier hard drive!).

All was good with the music until an update about a month ago (I can't remember the exact date) but music would appear to start playing and then suddenly pause at the 1 second mark. If, after it has paused, you use the remote to go in and press the UI pause option, and then press the UI play option the music will play fine. Using the remote control Pause/Play doesn't start the music playing. If you don't do this and try and play a video or something else, then the unit will hang.

I tried moving away from the latest stable to a nightly build (latest 18/07) to see if this would help me, but no luck. I also deleted all of my databases and it didn't help either. It doesn't matter if I play from the library, or from the file listings, it still hangs (I have found the nightly much better for supporting other video formats etc.)

So, sorry, no help here, but you're not the only one. I just wish I had a bit more time to look into the problem.

Aaron
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=806...tcount=373 <- this should be a workaround for this bug ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hey, thanks for that, the work around works perfectly. I'm back to listening to music again!

For those looking for a suitable directory for advancedsettings.xml, try this one:
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata

Cheers,
Aaron
Hi,
I'm new here and I was wondering if you could tell me where I coud find advancedsettings.xml to edit it ?
Can I log on to the ATV2 using FTP ?

Thanks
That file won't exist until you create it... and the directory to do that in is mentioned in the post above yours.

FTP won't work, but SFTP and SSH will. Google or the FAQs will give you detailed instructions on how to do it.
Ok thanks
Hi,
So, I created the folders "XBMC" and "userdata". I and up with this path in which to put the advancedsettings.xml file : /var/root/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata
But I can't find the way to upload the advancedsettings.xml file I created on my desktop using comand line.
Any suggestions or leads ?
aaron.blanchard Wrote:Hey, thanks for that, the work around works perfectly. I'm back to listening to music again!

For those looking for a suitable directory for advancedsettings.xml, try this one:

Cheers,
Aaron

@ Aaron How did you manage to access the file on your ATV2?

Jim
I finally managed to upload the XML file using WinSCP.
Thank you for your help.
It works like a charm now !! Big Grin

Here is what I did :

1/ Created a text file named advancedsettings.txt, renamed it in advancedsettings.xml and saved it on my desktop.
2/ Edited the XML file with notepad and put the following text in it :
Code:
<advancedsettings>

<audio>

<defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>

</audio>

</advancedsettings>

3/ I downloaded WinSCP HERE to connect to my ATV2 via SFTP protocol.

Host : ip address of your ATV2
Id : root
Pwd : alpine

4/ Once logged in, I went to
Code:
and uploaded there my XML file previously created in step 1

5/ I shut down and restarted XBMC and my music played back as it should have.

I hope it'll help someone.

Thank you.
@Jim

I took the alternative route and used "nano" to edit the file (I use nano in a standard linux system all of the time). nano is a text editor that is actually vaguely user friendly compared to the likes of those hard core linux users that seem to like "vi"

In your ATV2 shell type "apt-get install nano" which will install it.

I then went to the appropriate directory and typed "nano advancedsettings.xml" and then typed/pasted the text I wanted in. "ctrl-x" and then "y" to save.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
- Cannot get Music to play on ATV2 installation0