Launching XBMC with this app?
Hi guys,

I've searched through the forums a number of times, but couldn't find a simple and concrete way to launch XBMC on my computer with this xbmc remote app.

I've found this link here but it's a bunch of technical jargon and I didn't get anything out of it. Can anyone help out?

Thanks,
well...I just found a link to an app that is supposed to perform this exact function:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=98772
mister_scarface Wrote:Hi guys,

I've searched through the forums a number of times, but couldn't find a simple and concrete way to launch XBMC on my computer with this xbmc remote app.

I've found this link here but it's a bunch of technical jargon and I didn't get anything out of it. Can anyone help out?

Thanks,

Here is what you do, setup things up so that your HTPC just goes to sleep. You can use the official XBMC app to send a WOL request (magic packet) to your machine to wake it up.

It's awesome and its faster than turning on most DVR's. Then you set it up so that the remote simply sleeps the computer when you hit exit xbmc on it...OR just let it hit its sleep timer. I set mine for 15 minutes. nice and easy and saves on the power bill.
I didn't know XBMC had a built-in way to launch the program. I'd prefer if the computer didn't go to sleep since it's a laptop anyway. I find its very difficult to even launch windows on this machine as it has some bootup problems.
mister_scarface Wrote:I didn't know XBMC had a built-in way to launch the program. I'd prefer if the computer didn't go to sleep since it's a laptop anyway. I find its very difficult to even launch windows on this machine as it has some bootup problems.

Again even better to sleep the thing. Plus start up time goes from 4 -15 minutes down to 45 seconds.

However I know a lot of older machines used to have sleep issues. I would try and figure that out and then stick with sleeping.

Oh btw, it doesn't "launch" XBMC it just brings it out of sleep using a Wake on Lan request (magic packet). In the Remote setup, just make sure you input the MAC address of your laptop as it will need that for WOL.
So you're saying that it's better not to exit xbmc at all?
I wouldn't mind keeping it running 24/7, but my laptop is not very fast and it's getting quite old so it'd be hard to use other programs and stuff when xbmc is always open.
mister_scarface Wrote:So you're saying that it's better not to exit xbmc at all?
I wouldn't mind keeping it running 24/7, but my laptop is not very fast and it's getting quite old so it'd be hard to use other programs and stuff when xbmc is always open.

Mang, you are missing the point here.

1- You put an XBMC shortcut in your Windows Startup directory so XBMC starts automatically when your computer starts
2- You never close XBMC, you just setup the power management so that when you hit "Exit XBMC" on your remote that it puts the whole computer to sleep.
3- You use the WOL feature (Start XBMC button) to send the magic packet to your laptop to wake up (in a few seconds) with XBMC still running.

Now yes XBMC never closes however you sleep your computer (I have it set to sleep after 15 minutes of idle). This saves your computer so its not running all the time but allows your remote to wake and put it to sleep. The nice thing is that Waking and Sleeping happen VERY fast relative to freakin windows shutdown and startup which take forever. In the case where your crappy laptop needs to be forced off; upon restart XBMC will automatically start back up.

Caveats here: Is your laptop Wake on Lan (WOL) compatible?
If you Laptop is WOL compatible you can use my UDP-Launcher to wake your PC up/boot it up and start the XBMC from within the XBMC-Remote-App (you do not need WOL-Compatibility for the Launcher to work, just for booting/waking up):
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=101040
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Launching XBMC with this app?0