• 2(current)
Upgrade to Lion
Ned Scott Wrote:It's the other way around that's an issue. Sharing things from Mac to anything else using SMB. As in the mac is the file server.

Ah right sorry for the confusion Smile
brownn Wrote:Ah right sorry for the confusion Smile

No worries. The issue needed clarification.
brownn Wrote:Ah right sorry for the confusion Smile

Don't be sorry - I find it a very usefull information, in order to put all the pices together.

Like - since I have all media on NAS, I shold be fine for the most part.
What about accessing Mac from Windows?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:Don't be sorry - I find it a very usefull information, in order to put all the pices together.

Like - since I have all media on NAS, I shold be fine for the most part.
What about accessing Mac from Windows?

Windows itself should have no problem. I believe even XP has updates for SMB 2.0.

I found some old posts on some site talking about how XBMC did do some tweaking for SMB 2.0 compatibility at one time, but I'm guessing it's not completely in spec.
I wonder how many people are going to be unpleasantly surprised by this little SMB fiasco? It certainly is more than just XBMC users who have mixed networks and depend on SMB for file sharing, etc.
mcfrojd Wrote:I've been experience the same sound problems, how do i roll back from the 10.6.8? or is there some workaround? Been searching for weeks now and this post is the first that describes my problem.

My first clue to the sound issue actually came from another thread here on the XBMC forums:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104878

Since I had already upgraded to Lion, I ended up scratch-loading the mini with Snow Leopard and stopping OS X system updates at 10.6.7.

I only play files stored on my NAS so the SMB issue didn't seem to affect me.
Buadhai Wrote:I wonder how many people are going to be unpleasantly surprised by this little SMB fiasco? It certainly is more than just XBMC users who have mixed networks and depend on SMB for file sharing, etc.

If it's working with Windows, I believe most of users will have no problem.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Ned Scott Wrote:I found some old posts on some site talking about how XBMC did do some tweaking for SMB 2.0 compatibility at one time, but I'm guessing it's not completely in spec.

Yup, I was thinking in the same direction once I read Anandtech article from a link you've posted.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Ah ha! A simple solution (for me) has come to mind. I have an old AC Ryan POHD that I'm using as a backup for my media library. Its hard drive is set up as an SMB share. (I could never get NAS to work.)

If I'm thinking clearly I should be able to point my XBMC installations to the POHD SMB share and remove as media sources the SMB shares on my Mac (since they won't work if I reinstall Lion).

Am I right in thinking that this will require a complete rebuild of my shared XBMC library?
Ned Scott Wrote:SMB on 10.7 is only compatible with SMB 2.0

What's the reasoning behind that? And what are the chances of seeing an easy fix, either from Apple or elsewhere?
I have a Western Digital NAS plugged into my router. I copy video files wirelessly from my Mac to my XBMC machine (which is connected to the router) and stream music.

Will upgrading to Lion prevent me from doing this?
ctawn Wrote:What's the reasoning behind that? And what are the chances of seeing an easy fix, either from Apple or elsewhere?

Very small. I told everyone to not update to Lion, but nooooo Smile.
I tried working around this using NFS, but that didn't work.

The share is out there:

Code:
Bleach:etc mnewman$ showmount -e
Exports list on localhost:
/Volumes/Media                      192.168.0.0

I can mount it from other Macs at:

nfs://192.168.0.75:2049/Volumes/Media

But XBMC balks:

Code:
06:22:43 T:2956091392 M:701722624   ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: (null)
06:22:43 T:2696893760 M:701722624   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://192.168.0.75:2049/Volumes/Media/
06:22:43 T:2696893760 M:701722624   ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(nfs://192.168.0.75:2049/Volumes/Media/) failed

So, I guess I just stick with Snow Leopard for now.
davilla Wrote:Very small. I told everyone to not update to Lion, but nooooo Smile.

I haven't jumped yet. But I'm going to have to soon. I'm serving over SMB from my main Mac, and it has to run the current OS for professional reasons.

Since I don't use Samba for anything but XBMC, what are the chances of XBMC being able to support Samba 2?

Failing that it, could someone here build an installer for Samba 3 that will work with XBMC?
ctawn Wrote:Since I don't use Samba for anything but XBMC, what are the chances of XBMC being able to support Samba 2?
?

Not an XBMC problem, this is an OS problem.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade to Lion0