• 5(current)
[MAC] New Thunderbolt Mac Mini!
Open6l Wrote:the funny thing is that when I enabled DXVA2 (under xbmc-windows) the CPU would drop down below 8% but the entire screen was glitched/pixelated/artifacted and completely unviewable - but that could be why the CPU dropped because there wasn't anything on the screen to decode Laugh

Have you tried HD Audio? (with DSPlayer?)
Open6l Wrote:the funny thing is that when I enabled DXVA2 (under xbmc-windows) the CPU would drop down below 8% but the entire screen was glitched/pixelated/artifacted and completely unviewable - but that could be why the CPU dropped because there wasn't anything on the screen to decode Laugh

Did you install the latest directx version?
For now just off the hardware acceleration the 2.5 i5 cpu is more than art enough to play back anything with no issues
Dimmuxx Wrote:Did you install the latest directx version?

Yep I did
Ned Scott Wrote:...Plus you get a DVD drive in the older models.

Ha...I didn't realize that they took out the DVD Player! Now I don't have "new product envy" anymore. Love my 2010 Mini!...even more.
Stop testing HW decoders with that damn Planet Earth sample clip. There's only one HW decoder it will work under and that is vdpau which means nvidia chipset under Linux.
davilla Wrote:Stop testing HW decoders with that damn Planet Earth sample clip. There's only one HW decoder it will work under and that is vdpau which means nvidia chipset under Linux.

I always wondered, maybe you know: does hardware decoding affect image quality, be it good or bad?

Somehow, I always use software decoding assuming software decoders can be improved over time, am I wrong?
i'm going to take an mkv on a usb and play it on the i5 graphics and i7 server minis in the store and see if there are any differences on the apple cinema display and what CPU usage is like - I'll let you guys know
Thanks, from Spain!
davilla Wrote:Stop testing HW decoders with that damn Planet Earth sample clip. There's only one HW decoder it will work under and that is vdpau which means nvidia chipset under Linux.

I've been using other clips... Here is an example - I took a bluray remux of the U2 Rose Bowl Concert. I ran the clips side by side to compare. The 2010 model only hit 48% CPU while the 2011 model ran at 111%. The 2010 model used vda-h264 for the decoder while the 2011 was using ff-h264. Sounds like xbmc isn't accessing the intel through hardware accel (yet) but I would think the unit would still have enough muscle to play the clip but it doesn't. If I enable deinterlacing the 2010 hits 62% while the 2011 model hits 131%.

I'm also seeing this effect during sequence changes on the 2011 model.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/dsc01274r.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/695...275si.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/dsc01276g.jpg/

I'm hoping that its just a case of getting xbmc to recognize the new 2011 models properly (P.S. this was done using the latest nightly July 28th build of OSX xbmc)
so I just wanted to recap to clear any confusions with my testing... Basically the 2011 MacMini model with Intel video can playback most 1080p encodes that I have tested much better than the 2010 model. The 2011 model does experience artifacting/pixelation during sequence changes on those 1080p encodes (but it is getting better with the newer nightly builds).

Where the 2011 model has failed (for me) against the 2010 model is with 1080i clips (with interlacing and deinterlacing disabled) and a few 720p clips with 2.0 audio. In these cases the 2010 model has supported them without issue but the 2011 model has hit 160% CPU. The difference I've seen is that the 2010 still uses hardware accel for these clips whereas the 2011 has dropped to software decoding.

Hopefully these are just bugs to be worked out in upcoming xbmc builds and not a physical hardware limitation. I would love to try the 2011 AMD model (and maybe I'll return the intel for amd to test).
i have the AMD Radeon model, and my decoding is just fine, with the latest stable release i have no audio issues, but with the last few nightlies after i play a tv episode or something, even a movie, then i go to start another, it skips alot, no audio and choppy playback. i have to quit and restart xbmc, but it doesn't happen with stable so it must be xbmc
--
anyone confirms dts-hd bitstreaming or 3d mkv?
nope, but if u give me a link to one, i know they are out there, i will test it right now
--
So is GPU acceleration working yet?

I planned on getting the one with ATI Discrete Graphics.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] New Thunderbolt Mac Mini!0