HD/SD pairing and other stacking possibilities
I have pretty large (and growing) DVD and Blu-Ray collection. I have ripped these all to disc and like a lot of others in my situation, I have a LARGE amount of movies on both DVD (DVD) and Blu-Ray (HD). I have both version of the movie ripped and using the built in scraping that XBMC provides, I get two copies of each paired movie in my library listing.

I'm proposing that the HD and SD version of the movie be combined/stacked/paired together and a small dialog be displayed to the user to pick which version they would like to play. The process would be similar to the current method of picking a multiple disc movie with the current stacking system.

This could be further extended to support other stacking possibilities like theatrical/extended/directors cut versions of the same movie and other things we haven't thought of.

My idea, is to simplify development by leaving the scraping and inserting of movies/TV episodes into the database alone, and only changing how the database is read and displayed to the user. Changing the select statement to group movies that are the same (Either by the movie name, imdb id or whatever) and then provide a modal dialog box to show whatever is decided to be the key field to differentiate the two. It could be the HD/SD flag (Could be facilitated through XBMC's built in metadata extraction), it could be Theatrical/Extended Version portion of the name (This could be controlled via regex stacking).

What do you guys think? I have already submitted it to Trac as a feature request, but I figured it could use some discussion here.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
Philmatic Wrote:I have pretty large (and growing) DVD and Blu-Ray collection. I have ripped these all to disc and like a lot of others in my situation, I have a LARGE amount of movies on both DVD (DVD) and Blu-Ray (HD). I have both version of the movie ripped and using the built in scraping that XBMC provides, I get two copies of each paired movie in my library listing.

I'm proposing that the HD and SD version of the movie be combined/stacked/paired together and a small dialog be displayed to the user to pick which version they would like to play. The process would be similar to the current method of picking a multiple disc movie with the current stacking system.

This could be further extended to support other stacking possibilities like theatrical/extended/directors cut versions of the same movie and other things we haven't thought of.

My idea, is to simplify development by leaving the scraping and inserting of movies/TV episodes into the database alone, and only changing how the database is read and displayed to the user. Changing the select statement to group movies that are the same (Either by the movie name, imdb id or whatever) and then provide a modal dialog box to show whatever is decided to be the key field to differentiate the two. It could be the HD/SD flag (Could be facilitated through XBMC's built in metadata extraction), it could be Theatrical/Extended Version portion of the name (This could be controlled via regex stacking).

What do you guys think? I have already submitted it to Trac as a feature request, but I figured it could use some discussion here.

This is an AWESOME idea. Let's Say I Click on Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring.

I'd get a popup that says DVD, Extended DVD, Bluray, Extended Bluray. and I select which version I want.
You can pretty much already do this using Movie Sets, though that's a manual process.

[HTML]<movie>
<title>Blade Runner (Theatrical Cut)</title>
<set>Blade Runner</set>
</movie>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/[/HTML]

[HTML]<movie>
<title>Blade Runner (The Final Cut)</title>
<set>Blade Runner</set>
</movie>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/[/HTML]
Yeah I use sets for Theatrical, Extended, Extras etc and it works great as you can have different covers relating to each

Cant really see a point of having SD and HD versions who is ever going to select SD when HD exist you might as well just not have the SD available in the first place

There's no reason you have to have duplicates in your library for SD and HD versions
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
>>X<<' Wrote:There's no reason you have to have duplicates in your library for SD and HD versions

Maybe he want to have access to the extras on the DVD's, since extras on the BluRay's aren't really accessible in XBMC yet.
>>X<<' Wrote:Yeah I use sets for Theatrical, Extended, Extras etc and it works great as you can have different covers relating to each

Cant really see a point of having SD and HD versions who is ever going to select SD when HD exist you might as well just not have the SD available in the first place

There's no reason you have to have duplicates in your library for SD and HD versions

Someone might have multiple xbmc installs and some systems that can't handle HD content.
Why spent money on extra storage when you can buy a small system for about $400 which can play HD. Don't known if a lot of people really care about the extras.
If you want to split your HD/SD and others you could use smart playlist or different user profiles.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
sialivi Wrote:You can pretty much already do this using Movie Sets, though that's a manual process.

That takes care of the theatrical/extended/directors cuts, but like you said, it's a manual process and requires the use of nfo files. If XBMC could do this automatically, that would make things much easier.

>>X<<' Wrote:Cant really see a point of having SD and HD versions who is ever going to select SD when HD exist you might as well just not have the SD available in the first place

There are a few reasons:

sialivi Wrote:Maybe he want to have access to the extras on the DVD's, since extras on the BluRay's aren't really accessible in XBMC yet.

This is one of them.

gabbott Wrote:Someone might have multiple xbmc installs and some systems that can't handle HD content.

This is another one.
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
A third reason is that simply put, Blu-Ray support in XBMC is not 100% there yet. I have a few Blu-Rays that simply don't load, I have three or four movies that skip around due to what I believe are problems with the seamless branching on those particular discs. Most importantly, is that if I want to watch a movie that contains both the Theatrical and the Extended Cuts on the Blu-Ray disc, I simple cannot do that in XBMC right now. I have no option other than to play the DVD and use its menu support to pick the cut I want.

Machine-Sanctum Wrote:Why spent money on extra storage when you can buy a small system for about $400 which can play HD. Don't known if a lot of people really care about the extras.
If you want to split your HD/SD and others you could use smart playlist or different user profiles.

My SD DVD collection weighs in at roughly 2.2TB for 353 movies... that's an $80 hard drive with maybe a few movies being left out.
I have a bunch, not a lot, of SD/HD duplicates. I have a couple xboxs running xbmc which can't run HD which is one reason I keep the lower quality SD versions. I also find SD content more "portable", more devices play SD then HD, file sizes are smaller etc.. Yes I could transcode but like Philmatic said hard drive costs are so low its easier to just have a copy.
gabbott Wrote:Someone might have multiple xbmc installs and some systems that can't handle HD content.

Then just use separate SD/HD folders and only add the SD folder to the non-HD machine.
Hitcher Wrote:Then just use separate SD/HD folders and only add the SD folder to the non-HD machine.

That only works if you have a HD version of every SD movie you have. Since if you set it up like that then the HD capable machines miss out on SD content.

You would have to have 3 folders setup, HD, SD and SD duplicates, that a little bit of a pain to manage, more so if using something like couch potato.
Philmatic Wrote:That takes care of the theatrical/extended/directors cuts, but like you said, it's a manual process and requires the use of nfo files. If XBMC could do this automatically, that would make things much easier.

As long as your media is done in a way that causes XBMC to add both the HD and SD version then you can also use sets for them as well you don't need to use nfo's you can use XWMM
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Okay to chime in on this topic. I think its a great idea, I know Plex is doing this very thing. Granted I know Plex is built on XBMC, and I run windows xbmc htpc's. But the very feature your looking for is in Plex and it works great, but its only for alternate HD/SD versions of the movie. So not extended cut/blu-ray and etc like was suggested, but it would prompt do you want to watch it in: 480p / 720p / 1080p depending on what was in your library. But I like the idea for prompting what quality and if possible what version, extended cut or theatrical. This feature gets my vote!
I would love to see this feature.
Contribute to TheTVDB.com - The Online TV Database

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD/SD pairing and other stacking possibilities0