'Broken Pipe' error when trying to access HDD using XMBC on AppleTV2
Hi there,

I am looking for some help please.

I have recently purchased an Apple TV2 which I have jail-broken successfully and loaded XBMC to it (big achievement for me!)

I am trying to remotely access my Samsung HDD which is currently plugged in to my Apple Airport Extreme. I am able to access the Airport Extreme and HDD on my Macbook pro, but just cannot get the XBMC to connect with the HDD.

I have tried many different approaches of 'add source' through the SMB functionality using differing source identites. Some of them seem to be trying to access the HDD (the light on the front flashes and I can hear it whiring in to action)... but I keep getting an error message that say's either 'Broken Pipe' or 'Connection Timed out' or 'Share not available'

This is frustrating me to death!!

What does Broken Pipe mean and how can I fix this??

Please can someone give me some advice or a step by step guide to getting this to work!! Please guys!

Many thanks
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=842244&postcount=2
Thanks Ned, but that was my original post??... you directed me to this forum (thank you for that) I was hoping i might get some help on here!!

Please help someone!!

Thank you!
simmsy100 Wrote:Thanks Ned, but that was my original post??... you directed me to this forum (thank you for that) I was hoping i might get some help on here!!

Please help someone!!

Thank you!

Oh, I only meant if you needed further help with the ATV2. Since the problem was with your router (I think) it really didn't matter which forum you posted in (as noted in my reply).
Hi Ned,

Do you have any idea how to fix a 'broken pipe' error, there is nothing on here that talks about this, i am really stuck and could use some help please??

Many thanks
simmsy100 Wrote:Hi Ned,

Do you have any idea how to fix a 'broken pipe' error, there is nothing on here that talks about this, i am really stuck and could use some help please??

Many thanks

yes, I had an idea on how you could fix it. I told you once and then I linked you to that post. Have you tried my the previous suggestion about using the router's name or the router's wifi network name as the "user" when you fill out the smb info on XBMC?
Hi Ned,

my apologies, I had picked up on the piece of advice you gave, my confusion there, sorry!

So the Airport Extreme name is "Simmsy Airport" which I have used, with the password. Sadly this does not work and this is when I get the 'Broken Pipe' error. Interestingly it does try to connect to the HDD, the light on the front of the HDD comes on, flashes quickly, and the HDD makes a wiring noise which suggests its trying. Sometimes I get a message saying 'Connection Timed Out'.... does this give you any clues?

I have been using the IP address for the network as displayed on the MacBook for the APE (10.1.1.4)

I will try once again this evening as the network I have called 'SimmsyLAN', maybe this will work?

Any other words of wisdom would be gratefully recieved, thank you for your patience Ned!!

Cheers
Simmsy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
'Broken Pipe' error when trying to access HDD using XMBC on AppleTV20