• 20(current)
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?
zyro Wrote:Here it is: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GMNQEVDW

Tested on Ubuntu 11.10. Also if you have an existing version of XBMC it should be replaced but the configuration will be preserved (no promises but it was for me.)

According to the release doc in the FFmpeg pulled, the build I tested is against v0.9.0.git if anyone is wondering about the features available. XBMC should pull whatever is being built for nightly snapshots.

Feel free to experiment with the script of course. I've cleaned it up for readability since I last ran it so let me know if any errors have sneaked in. I'm not an expert on this build system but I'll try to help if anyone runs into issues.

That file is no longer available; could you re-upload it?
Kymus Wrote:That file is no longer available; could you re-upload it?

Try again, it is available. Wink
Thanks, much appreciated!
zyro Wrote:Hello all,

I see there's a lot of love here for 10-bit playback in XBMC under Windows and I've been keeping an eye on this thread hoping to get tips for Linux. Not much luck yet (unless that discussion has moved to a different thread and I've missed it) so I ventured out and tried to do it myself.

With the help of various blog posts and similar resources I've managed to compile latest FFmpeg and XBMC and test that it runs cleanly on my system (Ubuntu 11.10). FFmpeg compiled with VDPAU support and XBMC plays back both 8-bit and 10-bit with no issues. Haven't tested ordered chapters yet.

I very much doubt it's perfect and I've probably dumped a load of unnecessary libraries on my drive but it works so far. I've put all of this in a script that will fetch libraries/clone the latest git repos, build and install everything, if any other Linux users want it?

Very many thanks for this!! Even though its not perfect and I'm getting some issues sometimes when playing videos (like crashing with segmentation fault) it's better than the alternative mosaic picture with normal XBMC.

Atleast now I can watch 10bit content on my HTPC! I have Ubuntu 10.04 on it.
Glad it was useful!

No crashes here yet, maybe in the Ubuntu 10.04 repo the library versions differ enough from those on 11.10 that you get somewhat different results? I've only tried the build/install after upgrading my HTPC to 11.10 so I'm not sure.

It's also possible you're seeing bugs in FFmpeg or XBMC itself since it does pull the very latest code every time you run the script. You'll get the very latest features and updates, but you'll also get any bugs that have just sneaked in but haven't been found/fixed yet. Waiting a few days and re-running the script may yield different results.

I'll probably update my installations within the next couple of weeks and update or enhance the script if needed.
@bambi73
What the status ?
Do you still intend do do some work, updates ? Continue ordered chapters ?
I'm using VAAPI on my i3 2100 build. If I use the script posted earlier, is a compile switch of --enable-vaapi or something like it (similar to vdpau) necessary?
--enable-vaapi is indeed a valid option when building FFmpeg but I'm afraid I've not experimented with it. Try it and let us know!
So, to clarify, will the updates to ffmpeg that allow XMBC to play hi10p natively be part of the final Eden release, or will this not happen until 11.1 or Frodo?
Rand Brittain Wrote:So, to clarify, will the updates to ffmpeg that allow XBMC to play hi10p natively be part of the final Eden release, or will this not happen until 11.1 or Frodo?

not happen until Frodo.
zyro Wrote:--enable-vaapi is indeed a valid option when building FFmpeg but I'm afraid I've not experimented with it. Try it and let us know!
Right now, I don't have any 10 bit h264 videos to test.
davilla Wrote:not happen until Frodo.

Ah, okay. Well, I can cope with an external player until then.
zyro Wrote:With the help of various blog posts and similar resources I've managed to compile latest FFmpeg and XBMC and test that it runs cleanly on my system (Ubuntu 11.10). FFmpeg compiled with VDPAU support and XBMC plays back both 8-bit and 10-bit with no issues. Haven't tested ordered chapters yet.

Sorry for the dense question.. I don't think it's been covered though.

To be frank, how the heck do I do this? That is, have XBMC use FFmpeg?

I'm anxious since it seems like Hi10p broke my audio in Eden (well, changing to pulseaudio gets me tv shows and non-Hi10p anime, but most movies don't get audio now.. odd)
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/cc92...9050cef8e3

Is there a relation to the topic at hand?
I could be wrong but that looks like preliminary work to force it to decode those particular h264 profiles in software mode. Without the software decoder to back this up however...
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?7