• 44(current)
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?
(2013-03-08, 18:29)puntloos Wrote:
(2013-03-08, 17:51)momaku Wrote: I finally built a HTPC to play the Hi10. The components are:

- Thermaltake Element Q case
- 8 GB RAM 1333 Mhz
- HD Seagate 1TB SATA3
- Intel Celeron G1610T
- Asus GeForce GT620-DCSL-2GD3 (the only passive I found with the right size to this case)

I tested with anime in 720p (Another) and 1080p (Fate Zero) without problem, with Ubuntu XBMC (it has Lubuntu 12.10) and Openelec (it has the patch).

The only problem I have actually it is to pass the sound to the receiver (Yamaha RV-1900) through the NVIDIA HDMI.

Nice one. Can you list the performance stats? By this I mean: How much CPU was used, how much RAM was used?

I don't have the files now. When I could I will try to take the data.
(2013-03-08, 18:29)puntloos Wrote:
(2013-03-08, 17:51)momaku Wrote: I finally built a HTPC to play the Hi10. The components are:

- Thermaltake Element Q case
- 8 GB RAM 1333 Mhz
- HD Seagate 1TB SATA3
- Intel Celeron G1610T
- Asus GeForce GT620-DCSL-2GD3 (the only passive I found with the right size to this case)

I tested with anime in 720p (Another) and 1080p (Fate Zero) without problem, with Ubuntu XBMC (it has Lubuntu 12.10) and Openelec (it has the patch).

The only problem I have actually it is to pass the sound to the receiver (Yamaha RV-1900) through the NVIDIA HDMI.

Nice one. Can you list the performance stats? By this I mean: How much CPU was used, how much RAM was used?

Well, I saw a little more Fate Zero (1080p, FLAC 2ch) and the average use of the core is 50-70%, except some scenes it goes until 95% and it is not smooth.Sad

However, if I use mplayer from command line it looks to use the two core, using until 133% of CPU (the limit is 200%) and the playing is smooth. Big Grin

The memory used is around 1GB.

Finally, it looks I will have to apply the patch,
Thumbs Up 
Gotham alpha2's already delivering (20130317-5155ff3-master) with only 10 drop frames for hyouka OP (720p avc [email protected] 16 ref frames 48 KHz aac 2.0) on an E-350 1.6 GHz apu radeon 6310 - dxva2 on, cpu peak 100%, average 50-80%, bitrate peak 17 MB/s. Brilliant.

Hyouka 1080p OP (high [email protected] 16 ref frames, 48 khz flac 2.0): bitrate peak 54 MB/s, cpu peak 74%, average 30-60%, 0 drop frames for core 2 quad 2.66 ghz & radeon 5670. Splendid.

CodecInfo osd easier to read, 4k throttled (ain't nobody got hardware fo dat, akshually).
(2013-03-17, 16:49)DeathScyther Wrote: Gotham alpha2's already delivering (20130317-5155ff3-master) with only 10 drop frames for hyouka OP (720p avc [email protected] 16 ref frames 48 KHz aac 2.0) on an E-350 1.6 GHz apu radeon 6310 - dxva2 on, cpu peak 100%, average 50-80%, bitrate peak 17 MB/s. Brilliant.

Hyouka 1080p OP (high [email protected] 16 ref frames, 48 khz flac 2.0): bitrate peak 54 MB/s, cpu peak 74%, average 30-60%, 0 drop frames for core 2 quad 2.66 ghz & radeon 5670. Splendid.

CodecInfo osd easier to read, 4k throttled (ain't nobody got hardware fo dat, akshually).

It's probably related to this commit that was mentioned earlier, it was pulled into master for gotham.
Despite being a heavy anime watcher and a big fan of Hi10p I don't know "exactly" what I need to run THIS flawlessly. What I get from this 65 pages is that since this encode is unpopular despite it's advantages and age and it all comes down to pure processing power, right? I would like to know what is the bare minimum in GHZ as I like distractions to increase....productivity. Yes, I'm one of those people.

Basically, I would like to know what I need for a Hi10p oriented device. Doesn't necessarily have to be a HTPC(they are overpriced anyways). Would a Quad-Core 1.8Ghz ARM Cortex-A9 work or do I have to take the red pill and go down the rabbit hole that is a mortgage?
I wonder if this multithreading would also improve h.264 Lossless support. I realize this is SUPER rare but I recently was testing h.264 lossless for film projects (I'm an indie filmmaker) for YouTube uploads to avoid needless lossy recompression. On a whim I tested the resulting h.264 lossless stream on XBMC 12.0 Frodo but it only got about 10fps after slamming one CPU core against the wall.
(2013-03-19, 04:27)RiotingSpectre Wrote: Despite being a heavy anime watcher and a big fan of Hi10p I don't know "exactly" what I need to run THIS flawlessly. What I get from this 65 pages is that since this encode is unpopular despite it's advantages and age and it all comes down to pure processing power, right? I would like to know what is the bare minimum in GHZ as I like distractions to increase....productivity. Yes, I'm one of those people.

Basically, I would like to know what I need for a Hi10p oriented device. Doesn't necessarily have to be a HTPC(they are overpriced anyways). Would a Quad-Core 1.8Ghz ARM Cortex-A9 work or do I have to take the red pill and go down the rabbit hole that is a mortgage?

I tell people that a safe bet is a core2duo or better. ARM processors are highly unlikely to be able to playback H10P in the near future, even with the most powerful ones on the market today.

An overclocked quad-core ARM processor (around 2Ghz, IIRC) was shown being able to decode just normal (high profile) h.264 at 1080P with just CPU/software decoding, and that was with a massive heatsink on it. Even at 720P, Hi10P will be a lot more demanding than that.

Can you do it for under $200? Definitely. Can it be fairly small and compact (typical DVD/bluray player size)? yes. Just stay away from ARM. Desktop (x86) processors such as ATOM and some of those AMD APUs are just on the border of being able to handle them, depending on the file and who you talk to, so I would aim a little bit higher than those. Be careful of some forum suggestions, though. I've heard people claim that they have ARM this or that and will play H10P, but it was using the hardware decoder (which will cause nasty visual artifacts) and not the CPU.

My 2009 laptop, which is a mobile 2.8Ghz core2duo, can handle it, just to give you an idea. Just about any of the Intel core-I processors should have you covered, with maybe some of the low-end i3's not being the best.
(2013-03-19, 04:43)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-03-19, 04:27)RiotingSpectre Wrote: Despite being a heavy anime watcher and a big fan of Hi10p I don't know "exactly" what I need to run THIS flawlessly. What I get from this 65 pages is that since this encode is unpopular despite it's advantages and age and it all comes down to pure processing power, right? I would like to know what is the bare minimum in GHZ as I like distractions to increase....productivity. Yes, I'm one of those people.

I tell people that a safe bet is a core2duo or better. ARM processors are highly unlikely to be able to playback H10P in the near future, even with the most powerful ones on the market today.

An overclocked quad-core ARM processor (around 2Ghz, IIRC) was shown being able to decode just normal h.264 at 1080P with just CPU/software decoding, and that was with a massive heatsink on it. Even at 720P, Hi10P will be a lot more demanding than that.

Can you do it for under $200? Definitely. Can it be fairly small and compact (typical DVD/bluray player size)? yes. Just stay away from ARM. Desktop (x86) processors such as ATOM and some of those AMD APUs are just on the border of being able to handle them, depending on the file and who you talk to, so I would aim a little bit higher than those. Be careful of some forum suggestions, though. I've heard people claim that they have ARM this or that and will play H10P, but it was using the hardware decoder (which will cause nasty visual artifacts) and not the CPU.

My 2009 laptop, which is a mobile 2.8Ghz core2duo, can handle it, just to give you an idea. Just about any of the Intel core-I processors should have you covered, with maybe some of the low-end i3's not being the best.

Alright, cool. Figures that the only thing I see now a-days is ARM processors. I wouldn't mind building a HTPC if it didn't have to have all the extra fat which in turn becomes dollar signs. I swear, all I want is a (literally) bare-boned media player. Something that supports every type of video including 1080p Hi10p, music and photos. Doesn't have to have internet, DVD/Blu-Ray drive and 800 usb ports. I'm currently searching for this type of thing, recipe or pre-made on Google right now.

It's not about being cheap per-Se, it's about not wanting these things I will never use and it being a waste of money. I really appreciate your help as I had a ARM product in my shopping cart, lol. To be perfectly honest with myself. I'm a expert computers while at the same time being nearly "special" with the technical things.
I've built my PC dedicated to video play with an i7@870, and it's working perfeclty fine (with MT enabled) on 10bit 1080p even with high animations advanced features in subtitles (like opening/ending of UTWood releases of Sword Art Online).
Somes may think it's overkill, but who knows on what the anime fansubers will rush next (10bit h265 Huh), so, being an heavy anime watcher, i hope with an i7@870 i'll be at ease for several years...
No way my Turion 64 X2 will handle .hack//Anthology in 8K UHD HEVC in 3D with mastered sound on the quad layer BDXL. It won't have the required muchness. I'll start tomorrow saving the valet tips for the Argus IV Retinal Prosthesis System (version II is for the visually impaired). That's the only future-proof way to go.
For reference, I use an AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE 3.2GHz dual core (8GB ram) in my HTPC, and it ran pretty much any Hi10p (without MT) encoded anime just fine, noting that I'm also a heavy anime watcher. I did just last week run into a file that wouldn't play more then like 10 frames a second, with only the basic details here:

Video: 1920x1040 h.264 (~5569 kBit/s) 10bit
Audio: English and Japanese 5.1 FLAC (1385-1443 kBit/s)

As a result of that file I compiled my own Frodo build with MT enabled and it played it with no problems at all.
My AMD A8-3870k clocked to 3.3ghz still has issues with some high 10 material due to the lack of multithreading. Mostly this is in rare cases where there's a LOT of movement, like full screen static over the entire picture, it pushes the demand over the threshold and frames start getting dropped.

I'd be curious to try out a windows build of Frodo with MT enabled if someone could supply it.
How would an i3-3225 do with Hi10p? Or, would you need an i5?
Nightly builds (wiki) should now have MT enabled for Hi10P (one of the few cases were we know a hardware decoder won't be used, so detection is easy), so I imagine an i3 would be a safer bet now. Some i3s were borderline before with loosing frames.
(2013-03-20, 05:05)Ned Scott Wrote: Nightly builds (wiki) should now have MT enabled for Hi10P (one of the few cases were we know a hardware decoder won't be used, so detection is easy), so I imagine an i3 would be a safer bet now. Some i3s were borderline before with loosing frames.

Great! I have small nightlies addiction (xbmc, cyanogenmod ...) but haven't updated xbmc since the MT patched version of 12.0. Thanks devs!
CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
  • 44(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?7