Howto: Manually set the colorspace on an Ion system over HDMI
cowfodder Wrote:So, let me get this straight. Since the default color space is wrong for HDTVs this setting is not necessary? Somehow I can't follow your logic.
First of all, the default is not wrong for all HDTVs. Only some, mostly older ones. Most modern ones can handle RGB full.

I didn't mean the settings 'an sich', but I meant the specifying the default values is kind of useless:

Code:
Option "ColorSpace" "RGB"
Option "ColorRange" "Full"

As these are the default values, they do not change anything.
@LB06

thats what I said on this post is actually on documentation

I even quoted from it, and said you were right.
¿What exactly gave you the idea I was talking to you?
LB06 Wrote:¿What exactly gave you the idea I was talking to you?

right I was agreeing with you if that is frowned upon, Im out.
X3lectric Wrote:right I was agreeing with you if that is frowned upon, Im out.
I know what you said. I just don't see the point of post #17. We already agreed on this and then I started talking to someone else. Then suddenly you seemed to feel the need to reiterate this point while specifically referencing me, while I still have the exact same opinion. Seems pointless, but maybe I'm missing something :confused2:
Only because there seemed to be some question in the air, and doesn't hurt reinforcing facts.

I was trying to understand myself if the machines in question support the HD color profile... Specially since I have noticed no difference color space wise.

@ cowfodder I sent you pm regarding calibration TV wise.
@X3lectic: These settings work fine on my Zotac IONitx-G-E via the HDMI port, so I would venture to guess that they will work on all ion systems. If you're outputting via the VGA port though I have no idea, as VGA is already sRGB by default. sRGB and YCbCr444 are, for all intensive purposes, identical, so that my be why you saw no change.

LB06 Wrote:First of all, the default is not wrong for all HDTVs. Only some, mostly older ones. Most modern ones can handle RGB full.

I didn't mean the settings 'an sich', but I meant the specifying the default values is kind of useless:

Code:
Option "ColorSpace" "RGB"
Option "ColorRange" "Full"

As these are the default values, they do not change anything.

Yes, most modern HDTVs can handle full range RGB. No, it is still not correct. If all digital recordings (HDTV, DVD, and Blu-Ray) are meant to be in YCbCr444, then why would you want to use the wrong color space, regardless of whether or not your TV can handle it?

Let me ask you a question. What do you do for a living? Do you calibrate TVs? No? Because that is what I do. 40+ hours a week that is all I do.

*edit* If you were to reference This document, you will see that the color space points listed as THE STANDARD for all HDTVs are in fact YCbCr444, not RGB full. If you look at This GIF you will see a comparison of sRGB, REC-709 (YCbCr444), SMPTE and EBU PAL/SECAM points, overlayed on the full range RGB pattern. You will notice that the triangle that represents these points is smaller than the whole color field, i.e. it is limited.

*edit 2* I misread part of your original post. I understand now that you were saying that specifying RGB full in xorg will have no effect, as that is the default setting. You are 100% correct there.
Thanks for the replies.... changed the setting to

Option "ColorSpace" "YCbCr444"

Looks better now.

I suspect what was happening was that the default was RGB limited, which looked bad.

Thanks!
No problem, and sorry to derail your post with an argument.
@ cowfodder No I dont use VGA I use HDMI, but I did pm you about a VGA calibration issue.

at least the OP has better results Im chatting to a guy where everything is normal except he gets a blue tinted xbmc when its booting colors are ok.

anyways glad its working here.
cowfodder Wrote:...

*edit 2* I misread part of your original post. I understand now that you were saying that specifying RGB full in xorg will have no effect, as that is the default setting. You are 100% correct there.
Lol, I'm sorry I made you type that rant. It's a good one though Laugh
LB06 Wrote:Lol, I'm sorry I made you type that rant. It's a good one though Laugh

No problem. It got the info out there, and maybe we can convince the powers that be to set the colorspace properly by default in Eden.
so... we should set the output to YCbCr444, since that's what the video source actually is, Ok. After that, in XBMC, how should we configure VDPAU studio color correction, on or off?

Further, in my Samsung TV I can specify the HDMI color level. Low (16-235) or Normal (0-255). I assume after setting the output to YCbCr444 I should set it to Low, correct?

Thanks!
PatrickVogeli Wrote:so... we should set the output to YCbCr444, since that's what the video source actually is, Ok. After that, in XBMC, how should we configure VDPAU studio color correction, on or off?

Further, in my Samsung TV I can specify the HDMI color level. Low (16-235) or Normal (0-255). I assume after setting the output to YCbCr444 I should set it to Low, correct?

Thanks!

re: Studio Level...... I have no idea. I haven't dug into that setting to really know what it does.

To your second point, yes, you should be set to low.
cowfodder Wrote:No problem. It got the info out there, and maybe we can convince the powers that be to set the colorspace properly by default in Eden.
Well I'm not sure about that one? Aren't displays themselves always using RGB? So somewhere the translation to RGB has to be made. And I don't think all displays/drivers can be told to expect YUV as input (e.g. normal PC monitors?). Also, the XBMC GUI is rendered in full RGB, so this will look noticeably worse (heavy banding) in limited/YUV.

I think XBMC already takes care of proper RGB rendering. Studio Color Level Conversion just makes sure that the colours are rendered to RGB in such a way that 0-15 and 236-256 can be safely truncated (i.e. without truncating blacks and whites, other than BTB and WTW). This is in case the input of the device doesn't accept full RGB levels.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Howto: Manually set the colorspace on an Ion system over HDMI1