Howto: Manually set the colorspace on an Ion system over HDMI
cowfodder Wrote:I tend to deal in theory, not always in practice. I do agree though that a lot of this is contingent on whether or not:

A: The content was mastered properly to begin with
B: The player is decoding the content correctly
C: The TV is setup to use the correct standards
and
D: The TV is properly calibrated.

That is a lot of crap to go wrong. I got to see what the plans are with the wife, but I may be able to do a comparison tonight and post the results up later. We'll see.

Yes a lot of things to go wrong.

A. As I understand this is often not the case.
B. See my link regarding Sony Bluray and my comment about all players including Oppo using wrong geometry for SD presentation.
C. Usually Ok I think.
D. TV can really only be calibrated at any one time towards one target colour standard out of EBU/SMPTE-C/HDRec709 (and even if a conversion switch was offered once calibrated to one due to A. you would not know which to choose), and towards only one particular gamma. The viewing gamma should be suitable/correct to marry the intended experience at production with the user's viewing lighting conditions. This last point is highly contentious in respect of which gamma function is effectively applied in production, making it very difficult to choose a correct viewing gamma - so users generally choose something that is pleasing for a given picture.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Howto: Manually set the colorspace on an Ion system over HDMI1