• 11(current)
Req SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC
For someone not wanting to add his patches to main you're promoting your stuff an awful lot. Since KODI is about all kinds of media people will not readily change to a fork just for SACD. What kind of incentive would you need to be willing to move your stuff to main? I'm sure I could get a few people to sponsor ISO and tag reading.
Now i am curious Big Grin
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-09-22, 17:02)sloth Wrote: I installed the Kodi monthly release last week so I guess it might be having dsf instead of dff. Can I rename the files since the only difference is possibly metadata? I'll try tonight.

DSF should be fine.
(2015-03-11, 13:54)tutench Wrote: I have 5.1 DSF playing perfectly on my NUC (i5) via HDMI on a Pinoeer SC-LX73.
They play 8bit @352.8khz / 16934kbps.
The AV recieves and plays a 5.1 PCM stream.

What I am missing is that the Tag's from the DSF files are not read.
This seems to be missing yet - I hope for an implementation.

PCM is not bitstream for SACD/DSD.
i don't deal with the bureacracy. code is there, anybody can take it and use it for whatever as long as they respect the license. this includes backporting to mainline. i was part of the project for ten years, so it's not that i don't want to share my code, i wrote shitload of the code that churns through your pipes... however, the project has rotted and turned into something i don't want to be part of, eaten up by its own bureaucratic procedures and fear of change. it has been better lately but i'm in no way convinced it is cured.
We get pretty good at removing alot of unmaintained code lately Smile (without much paperwork haha).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-03-13, 09:26)ironic_monkey Wrote: i don't deal with the bureacracy. code is there, anybody can take it and use it for whatever as long as they respect the license. this includes backporting to mainline. i was part of the project for ten years, so it's not that i don't want to share my code, i wrote shitload of the code that churns through your pipes... however, the project has rotted and turned into something i don't want to be part of, eaten up by its own bureaucratic procedures and fear of change. it has been better lately but i'm in no way convinced it is cured.

But you show here that you still want to contribute and for that you have my respect and gratitude. If you could go just beyond the structures and think of the people you would help rather than the people who have angered you that would show some real greatness. I do not have your talent for coding, so no, it's not just a question of taking the code and doing something with it. I know through personal experience that there are always people along the path of life that will inspire you and others who drag you down. Also, in an Open Source project, egos are bound to clash. There are a lot of bright minds with very different opinions and that is both the beauty and curse of it. If the project members can put their egos behind them and focus on the task, great things can happen. Believe me when I say it's far better to forget about those that irk the shit out of you and and look forward. But that takes real strength of character.

That said, and back on topic: Again, you would make quite a few users happy who would be willing to show their appreciation.

On this note, I will also donate to the KODI project this weekend for all the other unsung heroes and THEIR personal struggles.
have a look at the pvr changes, audiodecoder, audioencoder addons and to some extent chapter menu. it all originated in my work. i am doing just that, but through individuals i can work with.

it is NOT about personal conflicts, it never was, though certain individuals did give the term idiot new dimensions. it is about a system gone wrong and the inability of the organization to identify and deal with the problem.
I will soon buy a Pioneer SC-LX58 or LX78 - with the goal (in addition to some other stuff) to be able to play DSF, DFF Files from within KODI.
I'll post my test results when I'm ready to test.
Looking forward.
My Equipment:
HTPC (i7-8700K 3.7 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) Windows 10 with Kodi 18.6 & Central SQL DB (Maria DB)
AVR Emotiva RMC-1 & AMP Emotiva XPA9-Gen3, TV LG OLED 65 E6, BD oppo UDP-203, Speaker Revel Performa3 F208 / F206 / C208 / Nubert WS-14 for Atmos/DTS.x)
NAS Synology DS1817+ / DX-517/DX513 (4x8 TB RAID5 + 2 x 5x6TB in RAID5)
I have SACD/DSF playback mostly working on my RPi2 using OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0), build #417. The RPi2 is connected via HDMI to my Onkyo receiver.

2 channel files play fine. The receiver shows fs:192KHz.

Multi-channel files are problematic. If I use either the default PAPlayer or DVDPlayer, the music stutters badly. I noticed my receiver showed fs:96KHz, so I thought the sample rate might be too high for the RPI2 to handle in 5.1. I found a work around that allows multi-channel files to play mostly correctly. If I set the System - Settings, Audio output to the following, I get stutter-free 5.1 playback with DVDPlayer. PAPlayer still stutters though.

Audio output device: HDMI
Number of channels: 7.1
Output configuration: Fixed
Limit sampling rate (kHz): 48.0

The key was to limit the sampling rate to 48 KHz. The Onkyo shows fs:48KHz and sound is perfect with one caveat: the 2 rear surround speakers are used instead of the 2 side surround speakers that one would expect for a 5.1 output. This just seems to be an HDMI channel mapping problem. I tried to set "Number of channels: 5.1" but I got no sound when playing a DSF file at all with that setting (GUI sounds still work).

I'm wondering how hard it would be to implement a configurable sampling rate limit when transcoding DSD/DSF files to LPCM for output over HDMI, with perhaps a different limit for 2-channel vs. multi-channel, and also how to adjust the output speaker mapping over HDMI. It would be nice to not have to limit my whole system to a Fixed 48.0 KHz, or to have to change these settings when playing DSF files and change them back for everything else.
(2015-04-18, 18:46)PuppetHead Wrote: Multi-channel files are problematic. If I use either the default PAPlayer or DVDPlayer, the music stutters badly. I noticed my receiver showed fs:96KHz, so I thought the sample rate might be too high for the RPI2 to handle in 5.1. I found a work around that allows multi-channel files to play mostly correctly. If I set the System - Settings, Audio output to the following, I get stutter-free 5.1 playback with DVDPlayer. PAPlayer still stutters though.

Read this thread. If you update firmware manually it should fix the issue. Fix should be in future OpenELEC updates.
(2015-04-18, 18:52)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-04-18, 18:46)PuppetHead Wrote: Multi-channel files are problematic. If I use either the default PAPlayer or DVDPlayer, the music stutters badly. I noticed my receiver showed fs:96KHz, so I thought the sample rate might be too high for the RPI2 to handle in 5.1. I found a work around that allows multi-channel files to play mostly correctly. If I set the System - Settings, Audio output to the following, I get stutter-free 5.1 playback with DVDPlayer. PAPlayer still stutters though.

Read this thread. If you update firmware manually it should fix the issue. Fix should be in future OpenELEC updates.

My firmware version looks to be new enough already. This comes with yesterday's build #417:

# vcgencmd version
Apr 11 2015 17:37:07
Copyright © 2012 Broadcom
version 311b05fb4e33655a083a6f65b645e6a14e322803 (clean) (release)
I suspect the Pi2 is not a strong enough CPU to decode 5.1 DSD, I have the same problem. It would be great if we could use DSD bitstream for those of us that have compatible amps.

(2015-04-18, 21:31)PuppetHead Wrote:
(2015-04-18, 18:52)popcornmix Wrote:

My firmware version looks to be new enough already. This comes with yesterday's build #417:

# vcgencmd version
Apr 11 2015 17:37:07
Copyright © 2012 Broadcom
version 311b05fb4e33655a083a6f65b645e6a14e322803 (clean) (release)
Hello,
I have a problem. My DSF files does'nt appear in Kodi. The folder look empty...
Can someone help me to solve this issue ?
I use OpenELEC on a Raspberry Pi 2. I try both Kodi 14 ans Kodi 15 beta and it's the same.
Also tried Fixed audio output and other settings but nothing look different.
Thanks
hi,

as I see the discussion on SACD/ DSD passthrough, has stopped a while ago, is there anyone who could help to understand if there is any chance that KODI will be able to passthrough DSD, if so when. Anything we (plain music lover users) could do to accelerate this?
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC5