• 13(current)
Req SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC
Ok, makes it easier for me.
So if this has not been clear from my recent posts: please pull the ffmped tagloader into Kodi main fork.
Hi All,

I'm able to playback dsf and dff files just fine. On Kodi, if I hit "O", the audio is being decoded at 384KHz and sent via PCM over HDMI to my receiver. Sounds great and so on, but my receiver is only capable of 192kHz at the max. I know this because if I hit the "info" key on the onkyo remote, it gives the basic stats like "input channels: 2 PCM 192kHz".

I know my AVR it is capable of 176kHz because I have transcoded some of my dsf files to .flac at 1:16 decimation instead of 1:8 which produces that sample rate instead of 384kHz. When I play that file and hit the "info" key on my onkyo remote i get "input channels: 2 PCM 176.4kHz".

TL;DR - Is there a way to get kodi to sample dsf and dff files at 176.4kHz instead of 384kHz to avoid my AVR resampling to 192kHzHuhHuh
Hi folks,

I read through this thread, but I did not see a definite answer to the following question: suppose audio system is usb-connected dac, so there are no hdmi issues. Can kodi, while playing dsf/dff files, output dsd natively in such a setup (without conversion to PCM)? In other words, is there any point to consider a purchase of a dac that supports dsd, as opposed to a potentially cheaper one that does not?

Thanks,
-- Stanislav
(2015-10-12, 18:32)Stanislav Wrote: Hi folks,

I read through this thread, but I did not see a definite answer to the following question: suppose audio system is usb-connected dac, so there are no hdmi issues. Can kodi, while playing dsf/dff files, output dsd natively in such a setup (without conversion to PCM)? In other words, is there any point to consider a purchase of a dac that supports dsd, as opposed to a potentially cheaper one that does not?

Thanks,
-- Stanislav

hi,

I had the same question, based on this thread, my understanding is that KODI is not able to do this, you need an other application to do the job.
@buzuddha dsd64 need a sample rate of 384kHz to be represented as PCM. thus something needs to resample. and it's not your receiver, it is happening software side since 176kHz is the max sample rate hdmi can carry.
For 44-based dsd (which pretty much everything is), the sample rate converted to PCM should be 352khz. 48-based dsd: 384khz. Is there an initial decimation bug somewhere?

It would beneficial to downsample both at fs/4 , since that would cut sown on ultrasonic noise. At least fs/2. Ideally it should be an integer decimation to best preserve audio quality (but I doubt anyone would hear any difference IRL) and cpu usage.
i tried not to complicate it. it's either 352 or 384, depending on the base as you say.
(2015-10-12, 15:42)ironic_monkey Wrote: i tried. since it's not fair that you guys should suffer, i have opened a retry. track progress here https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8212

It seems your pull request has been merged, am I wrong?

"mkortstiege commented 9 hours ago
OK, jenkins build this please."

"Success: merged build finished"
nope. that just means jenkins managed to build master with the pr merged.
Does that master make it to the nightlies? Would love to try this.
Yes, this PR should be in the next nightly
Smile 
(2015-10-15, 14:43)Razze Wrote: Yes, this PR should be in the next nightly

Yes it is!! Working very well here, thank you so much. Big Grin
note that only basic tags are read (artist, title, album, track) - if you are missing something shout and it can easily be added.
Albumartist (or is it Album Artist) is essensial. And maybe "comment" (or what is normally used for comments, such as album code, pressing etc). And of course genre.

I deem those the most important.

Ps. I don't use Kodi for music, so I don't know what tags Kodi normally supports (ie. "Comment" doesn't need to be added if Kodi doesn't use this tag at all)
can you make a minimal sample with all tags requested. it's not entirely trivial to know what they are exposed as from ffmpeg side (it's a general string map..).
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC5