• 20(current)
Req SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC
I can confirm that the .iso files are now visible over NFS share but they don't seem to play. I haven't turned on debug logging yet, normal log says

Code:
09:54:26.035 T:608 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://192.168.1.185/Music2/_SACD/Modern/UVW/VA - (1984) Footloose (RM2001 SACD ISO 2.0)/FOOTLOOSE (15TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTOR'S EDITION).iso
you using my PR? it's not yet in master.
Sorry, no. Will keep an eye on PRs and report back when it's merged into nightlies.
that would be a bit backwards. i kinda want it confirmed before i merge. what's your platform?
Good evening,

I have compiled the latest vfs.sacd sources against Kodi Beta 4 Leia on Ubuntu Studio 18.04.1 .
Sadly the growling noise is still there when SACD-R ISOs are played and when I try a remote playback connection to them (SFTP),  no ISOs appear in the Music section (Videos on the other hand are being streamed fine).

Last but least, individual DST files (.dff) are played correctly.
I had the add-on compiled for me under CoreELEC. Basic SACD support works nicely, even over local network. At first I opened iso's through the file dialogue under music and used "play" on an item. But even scraping works, although the success depends entirely on what metadata already exists inside the ISO.

Playback works flawlessley as long as the source is stereo. If it's multichannel only warbling is heard - I'm only guessing this because from existing Stereo and Multichannel layers only one layer is mounted and I can't see at the moment which one that is. I'm not sure yet if the warbling sound is due to a decoding problem or because the CPU is not fast enough to decode multichannel. I remember from back in the day that a Celeron CPU on windows wasn't fast enough to decode multichannel under foobar2000. AML S905X is certainly fast enough to decode 4k video but DST multichannel audio is a lot more demanding.

So, basically everything is in place, thank you very much, spiff! Some details that could be improved in the future:
  • During playback, show SACD flag
  • During playback, show Stereo or Multichannel flag
  • Show both Stereo and Multichannel layer in listing and mark them accordingly
  • If the foobar2000 method of external xml tags could be adopted here that would be heaven!

Here's an example of what the content of such an xml looks like (basically an unlimited set of tags just like in a flac file is possible):

https://pastebin.com/DMeS5V5Y
thanks for the detailed testing. i will fix the stereo vs 5.1 thing, i think i know what's going on there.

as for the tags that will require more consideration how to implement, and will for sure not be in v18.
problem is it would be a huge layer violation as the sacd is a virtual filesystem and not an audio decoder.
(2018-11-01, 04:03)HeresJohnny Wrote: Playback works flawlessley as long as the source is stereo. If it's multichannel only warbling is heard  

You have nailed it! 
All of my stereo only SACD-ISOs do play and almost all multichannel ISOs fail by outputting that dreadful noise. Only one 6ch ISO so far plays fine.
@spiff I apologize if it's bad etiquette to ask for a status but you kind of left us hanging on a high note with your last comment :-)
(2019-01-15, 23:05)HeresJohnny Wrote: @spiff I apologize if it's bad etiquette to ask for a status but you kind of left us hanging on a high note with your last comment :-)
 he's been on vacation, don't expect to see anything Smile
As razze says. I need to do some catching up in my day job, then i plan to restore the dst decode in addon.
Just noticed this thread (again, after a long while).

Great work! I really look forward to seeing this released!
(2018-04-24, 02:33)HeresJohnny Wrote: For the interested, there is also a project pending which would enable direct native DSD playback via HDMI: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/73956275
Hopefully, some audiophiles which are also KODI programmers will take notice:-)

I know its offtopic, but it is hard to find something about this topic in the www...
So in short:
Do you have maybe some new informations about DSD over HDMI? The Google-Thread seams to be kind of dead.
This is more than off-topic, it has nothing to do with Kodi whatsoever.
(2019-01-22, 11:52)contadino Wrote:
(2018-04-24, 02:33)HeresJohnny Wrote: For the interested, there is also a project pending which would enable direct native DSD playback via HDMI: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/73956275
Hopefully, some audiophiles which are also KODI programmers will take notice:-)

I know its offtopic, but it is hard to find something about this topic in the www...
So in short:
Do you have maybe some new informations about DSD over HDMI? The Google-Thread seams to be kind of dead.  

AFAIK, this "feature" has to be implemented on a OS-level (sound API) and device-wise (HDMI drivers). I wouldn't call the patient (=Google feature request) dead yet, but rather in a coma Sleepy .

As for DSD on Kodi, I hope for a working SACD ISO addon rather sooner than later, broader format support (compressed-DSD, DSD128+) and maybe a DoP output mode (e.g. useful for many Raspberry Pi HiFi addon modules).
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC5