• 24(current)
Req SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC
Short question (because here is some trafic in this DSD-related thread...)
Does anybody know if there is some progress in sending DSD over HDMI? As far as i know, this is a thing of totally impossibility due to insufficient options of the alsa-system.
So, is there any news to this topic?
(2020-09-17, 10:32)contadino Wrote: Short question (because here is some trafic in this DSD-related thread...)
Does anybody know if there is some progress in sending DSD over HDMI? As far as i know, this is a thing of totally impossibility due to insufficient options of the alsa-system.
My SACD files (.iso & .dsf) both play on my 2 Intel NUC's running Libreelec 9.2.4 but my new Yamaha Receiver identifies them as PCM files. If I burn the .iso file to a disc and play it through my Sony Blu-ray player into my receiver, it's correctly identified as "SACD", not PCM.
Thanks for the answer blueribb!
Yes, thats the only workaround i know. So it seems nothing has changed in the "DSD over HDMI" thing.. Confused
+1 for this feature
(2020-09-17, 10:32)contadino Wrote: Short question (because here is some trafic in this DSD-related thread...)

No progress that I have heard of and my guess is it is unlikely to ever happen.

It needs driver support so it might be possible that one of the open source graphics driver teams could add it but I doubt there is enough demand. The Windows audio framework used by HDMI does not support DSD officially (Although there is a conspicuous gap in the stream IDs) so seems unlikely support would be added in Windows.

Long ago I had a modified ILink/Firewire driver for Windows XP and a Winamp plugin which could digitally stream multichannel DSD, demand for this was non-existent even when ILink receivers were being sold.
Agree with all DSD over HDMI would be sweet but it does appear to be just a dream for the moment.

Getting back to the Kodi plugin I'm a little unclear on a couple of points with the latest version:

First, does the latest version plugin work with the current production Kodi v18.xx and is it available for easy download/installation?

Same question for Kodi v19?

Does the latest plugin version support multichannel yet?
The new addon is audiodecoder.sacd and that appears to be v19 only.

I believe this new addon does support multichannel.
I am another Kodi user who would really love to be able to play native DSD files (mostly multichannel) through Kodi. It would be a HUGE development! At the moment I use another system to play them as I feel there is too much of a sound quality trade off with the PCM conversion.

I'm under the impression it's down to an HDMI driver setting? Quite a few cheapish Blu Ray players can support playing DSD files over HDMI, but the interface is obviously pretty bad. I'd just love to be able to use their driver settings for KODI instead. But I wouldn't have a clue how to do it? (Currently using an Intel NUC running LibreELEC)

There'd be another issue of gapless DSD playback, but that could be overcome with cue files I guess...
My Google Fu must be on the decline, because I cannot for the life of me figure out how to play an SACD ISO in Kodi 19. I have the add-on installed, but the ISO neither shows up in music, nor will it play under videos or directly from the file manager. Somebody referenced there being instructions on the wiki page, but I don't see anything. I also looked at the repository and didn't see anything other than the readme for how to compile it. I'd be much obliged if somebody could point me in the right direction.
(2021-01-10, 00:20)Romsol92 Wrote: My Google Fu must be on the decline, because I cannot for the life of me figure out how to play an SACD ISO in Kodi 19. I have the add-on installed, but the ISO neither shows up in music, nor will it play under videos or directly from the file manager. Somebody referenced there being instructions on the wiki page, but I don't see anything. I also looked at the repository and didn't see anything other than the readme for how to compile it. I'd be much obliged if somebody could point me in the right direction.

Are you using this version ?

audiodecoder.sacd 0.1.2-Matrix
(2021-01-10, 01:44)blueribb Wrote:
(2021-01-10, 00:20)Romsol92 Wrote: My Google Fu must be on the decline, because I cannot for the life of me figure out how to play an SACD ISO in Kodi 19. I have the add-on installed, but the ISO neither shows up in music, nor will it play under videos or directly from the file manager. Somebody referenced there being instructions on the wiki page, but I don't see anything. I also looked at the repository and didn't see anything other than the readme for how to compile it. I'd be much obliged if somebody could point me in the right direction.

Yes. It downloaded directly through the Kodi repository. I confirmed that it is the version number.
(2021-01-10, 02:01)Romsol92 Wrote:
(2021-01-10, 01:44)blueribb Wrote:

Yes. It downloaded directly through the Kodi repository. I confirmed that it is the version number.
I'm using version 1.0.4.1 with Libreelec 9.2.6 (Kodi 18.9) and the addon finds SACD ISO's and plays them just fine but not all of them and especially not multi-channel ISO's. I am anxious to see if the newer version works on all SACD ISO's when the next version of Libreelec is released.
(2021-01-10, 05:40)blueribb Wrote:
(2021-01-10, 02:01)Romsol92 Wrote:
(2021-01-10, 01:44)blueribb Wrote: Are you using this version ?

I'm using version 1.0.4.1 with Libreelec 9.2.6 (Kodi 18.9) and the addon finds SACD ISO's and plays them just fine but not all of them and especially not multi-channel ISO's. I am anxious to see if the newer version works on all SACD ISO's when the next version of Libreelec is released.
When you say it finds them, where exactly does it find them? Is it supposed to be it's own category, or do you launch them from within Music or Videos or Movies? I don't see that there is any actual functionality if the add-on is launched. It is just configuration settings like adjusting the volume.
(2021-01-10, 05:57)Romsol92 Wrote:
(2021-01-10, 05:40)blueribb Wrote:
(2021-01-10, 02:01)Romsol92 Wrote: Yes. It downloaded directly through the Kodi repository. I confirmed that it is the version number.
When you say it finds them, where exactly does it find them? Is it supposed to be it's own category, or do you launch them from within Music or Videos or Movies? I don't see that there is any actual functionality if the add-on is launched. It is just configuration settings like adjusting the volume.
Within my Music Folder, I have a sub-folder titled SACD ISOs. The sub-folder and it's contents are now visible when selected. I am going to update to Kodi 19 on a windows 10 machine and also install the latest addon for SACD ISO support later today and see if it functions. I will post a follow up.

Follow up: It worked ! After installing Kodi 19.0 beta 2 and then going to add-ons / kodi addon repository / audio decoders / SACD ISO support and then installing it successfully, I then restarted Kodi and all SACD files were both visible and played (even multi-channel files). Since this is on a Windows 10 desktop system, I cannot see if the files are identified as SACD or PCM. I suspect my AVR will ID them as PCM but I will wait until Libreelec releases a Kodi 19 build to try it.

Good Luck
(2021-01-10, 17:54)blueribb Wrote: but I will wait until Libreelec releases a Kodi 19 build to try it.
(Thanks for your post confirming ISO and MCH playback)

You can try LibreElec with Kodi 19 beta here:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=358650
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC5