Why does interlaced content (1080i) look...strange?
I'm trying to play some 1080i content and even with [Auto] for Deinterlacing (with a GTX 460, which supports the latest nVidia deinterlacing methods), it looks odd.

It's hard to explain, but sometimes the motion looks wrong. It's not constant but it does seem to occur in the same spots.

I've checked for dropped frames and it's always zero so that's not the problem.

Has anybody else experienced this? I've used my DVR to record the exact same program and it plays perfect so I know the problem isn't the broadcaster.

(The file is an MPG file recorded from a DVB-S capture card that I am trying to playback in XBMC as a simple 1080i MPG file...)
Do you have a sample?
I can create one...

How can I split the MPG to create a small clip without any re-encoding, etc?
I would expect 1080i video to show some artifacts especialy on fast moving scenes as the video is interlaced at 60 fields per second (a field being every other vertical scanline)

When the picture changes from 1 field to the next you will se artifacts because you are taking these 2 fields and stacking them together to essentialy make a 1080p video at 30 frames per second.

I'm not certain this is the cause of your problems, but it could be.
a screenshot or video showing the problem would probably help much more.
I understand what you're saying, but it's not really artifacts. It's kinda a weird motion-blur type of effect but the movement is not very fast at all. (but there is still movement)

What's a good tool to split the MPG and I'll upload a sample to show what I'm talking about...
May seem unrelated, but what type of TV do you have? What you're describing sound like "Motion Enhancement", a "feature" put in a lot of the newer 120hz and 240hz LCD/LED TVs. Turn it off and report back.
Also, my guess is that somehow either XBMC or the files have odd or even screwed up in the interlacing so instead of interlacing 2x of the same frame together, it's interlacing 2 frames that are 2 frames apart.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why does interlaced content (1080i) look...strange?0