Xtreamer Ultra: Very Basic Question
Hi all,

I'm planning to buy an Xtreamer Ultra just for XBMC. An XBMC box so to say.

Shall I run the box with Windows 7 or with OpenELEC? Which system delives better performance for XBMC?

Is it possible to also use the Eden Nightlies on the Xtreamer Ultra?

I would be thankful for advice.

Chris
unRAID Server, Pioneer VSX-LX52, Panasonic 65VT30, Marusys VU+ Duo, Zotac AD10
Use whichever OS you feel comfortable with. Both will work fine.

Nightly builds are only provided for Windows and OSX. You'll need to build your own or find a third party source to use them on Linux.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Use whichever OS you feel comfortable with. Both will work fine.

Nightly builds are only provided for Windows and OSX. You'll need to build your own or find a third party source to use them on Linux.

JR

Okay, I was just concerned a bit that the Xtreamer's performance wouldn't be high enough for smooth playback under Win 7.

I guess that hardware accelerated video playback works with both operating systems.

Chris
Think openelec runs pretty well on it.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
ix400 Wrote:I guess that hardware accelerated video playback works with both operating systems.

Even a Revo 3600 with a single core Atom 230 will play 1080p on Windows with the hardware acceleration enabled.

I think the consensus is that, especially on the low end CPUs, Linux is noticeably faster with the heavier skins. I've used Confluence on a Revo 3610 with an Atom 330 CPU, and the general feel of navigating though the UI is possibly a bit slower, but not dramatically slow. Media playback is the same on both operating systems.

Windows does take considerably longer to start than Linux, though many will say just use suspend instead of shutting down the HTPC.

For me the most important factor is that I want to run other apps that only run on Windows, so Windows it is.

JR
Thanks a lot.

Very helpful answers.

I think I'll try openELEC or XBMC live first.

Cheers,

Chris
So, I tried XBMC via openELEC on my new Xtreamer Ultra.

Basically this is an almost perfect solution. The only drawback for me was when I found out that in the future the Xtreamer Ultra will not be able to Support the HD Sound formats like DTS-Master-HD. There seems to be sort of a hardware limitation.

Now I'm in two minds about if I shall keep the Xtreamer or send it back...

Chris
ix400 Wrote:Hi all,

I'm planning to buy an Xtreamer Ultra just for XBMC. An XBMC box so to say.

Shall I run the box with Windows 7 or with OpenELEC? Which system delives better performance for XBMC?

Is it possible to also use the Eden Nightlies on the Xtreamer Ultra?

I would be thankful for advice.

Chris

DOnt buy it buy some other ION2 machine.... ZOtac for e.g SEND IT BACK.....
X3lectric Wrote:DOnt buy it buy some other ION2 machine.... ZOtac for e.g SEND IT BACK.....

...and the Zotac will support DTS-MASTER once Eden is released?

Cheers,

Chris
idk if the audio engine will support that but the xtreamers have inferior components I been told possible clones. cant be sure.

About dts ask gnif at the IRC channel Freenode #xbmc-linux
X3lectric Wrote:DOnt buy it buy some other ION2 machine.... ZOtac for e.g SEND IT BACK.....

Why? you already have used a xtreamer ultra? its a ION2 device like all other ION2 devices and there is nothing wrong with the xtreamer ultra system.
greetings, Stephan

... yes, I think you are right.

If the Xtreamer can't handle DTS-HD-Master, why should another ION2 machine can do so?

Basically I think the Xtreamer Ultra is a nice all inclusive package. The only problem is the lack of HD-audio.

Chris
wikipedia Wrote:The Fourth Generation PureVideo HD

This implementation of PureVideo HD, VP4 added hardware to offload MPEG-4 (Advanced) Simple Profile bitstream decoding with the GT215, GT216 & GT218 GPUs (sold as GeForce GT 240, GeForce GT 220 & GeForce 210/G210).[7] The H.264-decoder no longer suffers the framesize restrictions of VP3, and adds hardware-acceleration for MVC, a H.264 extension used on 3D Blu-ray discs. The same features are also supported by later GPUs.
The fourth generation PureVideo HD is sometimes called "PureVideo HD 4" or VP4, although this is not an official Nvidia designation. It corresponds to Nvidia VDPAU Feature Set C (which due to a missing API currently does not support decoding MVC).

I think the question you should be asking yourself audioengine able to used this hardware for this in conjunction with all my other crap.

I dont have all that fancy hardware to test.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xtreamer Ultra: Very Basic Question0