Video Lagging at 1080p playback
Hello,

I am a beginner in Home cinema/encoding/decoding...

I have XBMC 10.1 installed on my laptop HP dv5 1130ef:
Intel core duo P7350 2GHz, 4Gb Ram, Nvidia 9600M GT, W7 x 64bit

I always plug the PC to my HDTV Sony Bravia 32BX400 using an HDMI cable (1.4) to watch movies.

Most of my movies are 720p. And the videos plays perfectly even with the DXVA disabled.

I downloaded recently 2 movies at 1080p. The simpson movie and The assault.
The simpsons movie PLayed perfectly without any lag ( DXVA disabled) but the Assault movie lagged... the FPS dropped from 25 to 12 and then went back to 25...it lags 10 seconds then go back to normal...isnt my pc powerful enought to run the 1080p without hardware acceleration ? Why the simpson movie didnt lag at 1080 ?

Thank you
Sorry to answer your question with a question but why dont you want to use DXVA?

Does it play ok with DXVA enabled?
thank you for your replys.
Yes it does work with DXVA...but when make a quick forward some wierd pixels appears... and i dont really understand what is DXVA (hardware acceleration).

But what confused me is that The simpsons 1080p worked without DXVA...
Maybe The Simpsons has a lower bitrate or something else which requires less resources?

As far as i know DXVA uses your GFX card to help play things, so not all the strain is on your CPU. And the Nvidia 9600M GT you have no doubt helps a lot.

I always use DXVA. I dont know much though expect a more helpful response from someone else soon.
I really thank you for the your reply... Smile
Since simposons is a cartoon its WAY easier to encode/decode with a low bitrate without any loss of quality.
Cartoons usually have little detail, large areas of the same color etc, which makes encoding it easy.
I'd go so far to say a normal action movie at 720p requires more power to decode then cartoons at 1080p.
Thank you !

When i display the on-screen information ( DXVA disabled) and when the frame rate dropes to 14fps with the movie "assault", the CPU activity is around 40 and 50% so why it lags ? i mean the cpu has availabe "space" ?
I think the ffmpeg decoder in v10.1 can only run single threaded. If you have a dual core CPU the uasge will be 50% if the decoder is running flat out.

JR
Thank you for your reply but i did some testing today on a new movie 1080 movie (Identity) so its not a cartoon. No lagging even with DVXA disabled... so i am a little bit confused... Why it lags with the other 1080 movie. And i have checked the CPU with the on screen information "o" and actually it does go more than 50%... but i dont understand which on to consider...i have Avergage CPU, ACPU, VCPU and DCPU...
can you post the "mediainfo" of the files?
Hello,

What do you mean by "mediainfo" ? how can i extract them ?
Christizzz Wrote:Hello,

What do you mean by "mediainfo" ? how can i extract them ?

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/

It's a utility to tell you the format of the video and audio inside a video file.

JR
Hello, thank you for your utility. I am at the office right now. I ll try to post the information as soon as i get home.

(sorry if my english is bad....Confused actually i am from lebanon)

Can someone also check my other post about AC3 and DTS passthrough ?
The resolution doesn't really matter. It's the bitrate (kb/s) that matters. The higher the bitrate the more power neede from your computer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Lagging at 1080p playback0