clear play like filter for ATV2 and XBMC possible?
I have not yet bought a clear play DVD player because i keep hoping they will come out with one that is a blu ray. But i was thinking would it be possible to write a app of some sort that would work under XBMC as i doubt apple would allow something straight on ATV2 due to licenses and all.
Something that worked like the clear play does. If you don't know what it is it is basically a dvd player that has filters downloaded to it that scan movies for extreme violence, nudity and profanity and you can have these filters filter out this in your movie if you so desire or some of it yet it does it in a way that does not take away from the movie so you don't miss anything.

So am i just thinking crazy or would it be possible?
ilovemymac Wrote:I have not yet bought a clear play DVD player because i keep hoping they will come out with one that is a blu ray. But i was thinking would it be possible to write a app of some sort that would work under XBMC as i doubt apple would allow something straight on ATV2 due to licenses and all.
Something that worked like the clear play does. If you don't know what it is it is basically a dvd player that has filters downloaded to it that scan movies for extreme violence, nudity and profanity and you can have these filters filter out this in your movie if you so desire or some of it yet it does it in a way that does not take away from the movie so you don't miss anything.

So am i just thinking crazy or would it be possible?

EDIT: nevermind
There's existing functionality to cut bits out of movies (adverts primarily) which are EDL files. They're basically text files with the cut points in 'em. Your job would be to take whatever source you have that highlights the naughty bits and generate an EDL so that XBMC will skip automatically to those naughty bits, saving you viewing all the boring non-nude, non-violent bits Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:There's existing functionality to cut bits out of movies (adverts primarily) which are EDL files. They're basically text files with the cut points in 'em. Your job would be to take whatever source you have that highlights the naughty bits and generate an EDL so that XBMC will skip automatically to those naughty bits, saving you viewing all the boring non-nude, non-violent bits Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan

Please tell me it's possible to do the reverse and use the EDL files to "jump to the good parts"
You may be interested in this. His program helps you create EDLs and then you can play them with the bundled player or XBMC.
that is probably beyond my scope of doing. Im not that techie i guess. There use to be a device that went between your tv and your player dvd, vcr whatever. But it never got updated to do HD of any kind
As jmarshall said XBMC has built in support for .edl files.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Edit_Decision_List

You can create your own using a simple text editor and using a .edl extension.

Unfortunately its a pretty manual process of entering each section you want either muted or skipped. I did a few tests just to try it out and it seemed to work.

Not sure I'd use it for heavy content editing but its something I never even thought of and its pretty neat that it just works in XBMC.
supersuper Wrote:Unfortunately its a pretty manual process of entering each section you want either muted or skipped. I did a few tests just to try it out and it seemed to work.

Not sure I'd use it for heavy content editing but its something I never even thought of and its pretty neat that it just works in XBMC.

Sensible cinema (my project, see link above thanks whoever did that Smile "almost" has full XBMC support, but only for files, not for DVD's per se.
It has a button to 'create a .edl file' which XBMC then picks up and uses.

The hangups right now are that XBMC doesn't seem to respond to EDL 'mute' commands right, and doesn't allow EDL's to be used for DVD's AFAIK.
Let me know if there's interest and I'll make it so that it can just make everything into skips as a work-around.

Anyway so the real reason to post here is that sensible cinema allows you to use a subtitle file and synchronise it and scan it for profanities and their time stamps, thus "theoretically" making EDL creation a bit less burdensome.
FWIW.

-roger-
(2011-08-13, 22:41)supersuper Wrote: Unfortunately its a pretty manual process of entering each section you want either muted or skipped. I did a few tests just to try it out and it seemed to work.

In my opinion, the manual process is the core problem. Anyone can edit a movie after you know where the parts you want to edit, but that's a pain because you have to watch the entire thing, note all timestamps, and then edit it (via EDL, or movie editor program). Clear play is nice because someone else has already watched the movie, marked the questionable content, and you get the filter. Unfortunately, it's closed and the filters are in a binary format.

I've come up with my own solution, the Mute Profanity add-on. It's not going to help with the nudity or violence, but it will mute profanity automatically without needing someone to watch the movie and mark when it should mute. Details about it here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130563

P.S. If anyone wants to help me reverse engineer the clear play fliters, let me know.
I can help you figure out the file format of the filters. PM me and we can go from there.
Thanks fegunz and fargooga i look forward to seeing what you come up with.
I read online somewhere once about clearplay online filters but i cant seem to find it again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
clear play like filter for ATV2 and XBMC possible?0