• 1(current)
[AppleTV2/iOS] BLEEDING EDGE unofficial occasional nightly builds FAQ/info/issues
Welcome to the 3rd reboot of this thread, which is not a bad thing. The purpose of this thread is to help test the bleeding edge/master/trunk of XBMC running on iOS platforms like Apple TV2, iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch and help devs track down/report issues.
This IS NOT even BETA yet.

This is akin to a cook making a brand new meal he's tried a few times before but changes the recipe every time and is making everything from scratch.

So the expectation is that it will be buggy, even core functionality. We're not here to complain, whine, or wonder. We're here to help uncover bugs, troubleshoot and assist devs in any way possible.
Asking for older builds, wondering an ETA on anything dev related (you can feel free to bug me if I haven't put out a release quick enough tho) or anything like that will be at best ignored, deleted, or poked and prodded.

And to everyone helping, all the mods who diligently answer the same questions over and over, I personally thank you and the whole team appreciates it. I've always said my personal goal is to answer stuff so the devs can stay on track and not have to answer questions as much and it makes me smile seeing so many others stepping up.
We're now over half a million views between the threads and easily 300gb/mo transfer of just this build alone and the excitement and popularity is not going unnoticed and it's because of all of you it's stayed manageable to ANY degree at all.

PRE-REQS: (or why to not use this build)
  • NON COMMAND LINE FRIENDLY. I am enforcing this heavily. If you need to ask about any unix commands, you shouldn't be on this build, otherwise we will delete your post.
  • People who don't want to participate in testing
  • Something newcomers should not use. If you haven't used XBMC before the XBMC-IOS port, please don't use this build.
  • Replacement for your (insert stable platform here). Someday it will be there. Hopefully with help!
  • Repeating any info you see in this thread, or even on the rest of the forum, is just going to get your post deleted. So read up. And again. and again.

iOS 4.3: (yes, this applies again)
INSTRUCTIONS for ATV2:
After you've installed the official XBMC build, SSH into your atv2 (IP is under System > System Info in XBMC) and type:
  1. wget (use url below for ATV2)
  2. dpkg -i latest_atv2.deb
  3. rm latest_atv2.deb

To upgrade, just do this again. To downgrade simply reinstall from NitoTV, or find an older nightly. You must install the official XBMC build first to make sure dependencies are handled.

CAVEATS TO THIS BUILD:
  • MySQL Remote Library - IF YOU USE THIS FUNCTIONALITY, THIS BUILD WILL UPDATE YOUR DATABASE. So remove the advancedsettings.xml settings for mysql if you're worried about corrupting the DB. Be sure to switch all other machines to nightlies.
  • Skins - Since we're on trunk, most skins aren't updated to TRUNK yet, so they don't work. This has nothing to do with the build and posts related to Skins will be deleted.
  • Audio - Audio is not perfect. We hope AudioEngine is merged in helps this. If it works for you, great! If not, please hold off posting reports until AE is merged in.

KNOWN ISSUES:
NEEDS VERIFYING:
REPORTING PROBLEMS:
  1. Every initial report must include a .log link with debugging enabled. It's easy to tell now because when debugging is enabled theres 3 lines of txt across the screen.
  2. If this is a media playback issue, you must run 'mediainfo' and cut up a sample of the file.

HERE IS A POST ABOUT THE PROPER WAY TO REPORT A PROBLEM WITH XBMC:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92480

I'm not going to require it for now, but it's a good starting point. If you don't follow ANYTHING above, your post will be deleted.

Download link:
ATV2:
http://xbmc.hadm.net/latest_atv2.deb

IOS:
http://xbmc.hadm.net/latest_ios.deb

Short Changelog should always been found on the 2nd post, below this one.

Full Commitlog/Changelog:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commits

Download dir (to check build dates):
http://xbmc.hadm.net/
Changelog courtesy of Memphiz:
1. Improved scraping of tvshows when using nfo files
2. ticket http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11829 (Filenames not being displayed correctly)
3. webdav fixes (tickets: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10862 and http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10871)
4. fix nfs crash - ticket http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11778
5. many new features/changes for the skinners (might be more under the hood)
and everything else in the commit logs which i don't know about anything Wink

As always, full changelog is at:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commits
booooo on #8 Wink hehehehe..that's the ONLY thing that's preventing a 100% WAF for this household.

Seriously though, glad to see the thread has been reborn. Thanks for posting the github commit changelog link, btw...was unaware it existed!

** EDIT **: I guess since the first post is going to be updated each time a new build is available, my comment above about "build issue #8" will be out of date Smile So I'll just leave this as, Thanks for continuing the great work on XBMC!
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
keith is it possibly that the first post can be updated with each new release?
ie changelog, know issues etc
Means the first post can become a quick check for everyone on current status of nightlies
Slightly offtopic: Note that if you have the log that the particular user you link to has regarding "slow media playback start" it's likely the background scanners doing their job extracting stream details from the movies for the HD flags. Once they're done everything should be snappy again.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

on the topic of "slow media playback start"

it seems the atv2 only starts the media playback once all the posters and fanarts in the queue have been loaded.

Some skins do some prefetching of movie posters causing a long wait.
b0ssman Wrote:on the topic of "slow media playback start"

it seems the atv2 only starts the media playback once all the posters and fanarts in the queue have been loaded.

Some skins do some prefetching of movie posters causing a long wait.
yep ... the loader threads don't get aborted ... this is not only the case on atv2, but on every plattform. But you won't notice because most systems have plenty of horsepower...

@chuckles: at least this is the plan Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:yep ... the loader threads don't get aborted ... this is not only the case on atv2, but on every plattform. But you won't notice because most systems have plenty of horsepower...

Please tell me you are planning on adding a feature which will pause the thread while starting and playing a movie.

I know multiple users who report up to 30 secs of
Waiting time before a movie starts.
Buffering fix - for some files.
I've been having buffering problems with the unofficial release (they might be in the official also).
What happens: After playing some files for 1-2 minutes it starts buffering then continues to play and keeps buffering every minute. (mkv, h264).

First I thought, well lets swith from SMB to NFS. So I did, they were less frequent but they occurred. I even changed to wired from wireless.

Fix: So today I checked my System settings and I noticed that I had set "DTS capable receiver and AAC capable receiver" to ON. I toggle those OFF and restarted, no more buffering.

Probably the integration of the new Audio Engine, anyone else with the same problems? Do they occur in the offical? Did my tip help?
Konrad77 Wrote:Fix: So today I checked my System settings and I noticed that I had set "DTS capable receiver and AAC capable receiver" to ON. I toggle those off and restarted, no more buffering.

Probably the integration of the new Audio Engine, anyone else with the same problems? Do they occur in the offical? Did my tip help?

We're quite a ways from AudioEngine integration. Do you have a reciever decoding DTS/AC3 at all? If not, then they should be off. I do though so I need to leave them on.

It shouldn't of affected smb/nfs tho..
keith Wrote:We're quite a ways from AudioEngine integration. Do you have a reciever decoding DTS/AC3 at all? If not, then they should be off. I do though so I need to leave them on.

It shouldn't of affected smb/nfs tho..
I mentioned SMB/NFS because thats often what people suggest when it starts buffering. Yes my receiver can decode DTS/AC3.
I have upgraded to the latest nightly build and it is rock solid so far. Well done guys and thank you for all of your effort! Smile
Konrad77 Wrote:Buffering fix - for some files.
I've been having buffering problems with the unofficial release (they might be in the official also).
What happens: After playing some files for 1-2 minutes it starts buffering then continues to play and keeps buffering every minute. (mkv, h264).

First I thought, well lets swith from SMB to NFS. So I did, they were less frequent but they occurred. I even changed to wired from wireless.

Fix: So today I checked my System settings and I noticed that I had set "DTS capable receiver and AAC capable receiver" to ON. I toggle those OFF and restarted, no more buffering.

If you set those to OFF, does that mean you are only getting 2-ch stereo output to your speakers?

I tried what you suggested, and it does help with buffering but then on my receiver, it only states I am receiving a 2CH signal from the source. Movies that were stuttering before are playing fine now with those OFF.
Working great on my ATV 2 (Many Thanks) music now plays without any issues & great to see visualizations working.

XBMC seems to run a lot more snappier with this build.

Thanks again
I think it would be great if those users reporting success and/or improved performance can include details about their set ups, just like we do with problems. A little summary of your network set up, what sharing protocol you use, etc or even a link to another post were you've described your set up. I don't know how valuable this information would be, but it could help us when we come across people using the same build but are having problems.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2/iOS] BLEEDING EDGE unofficial occasional nightly builds FAQ/info/issues0