put "Add Sources" somewhere obvious
spiff Wrote:sounds confusing and over the top to me.

my file sources are not my library, and my library is not my file sources. they are two completely different things the way i look at it.

That's the way I look at it too. A file source should be just the network or hard drive location where files are located: i.e. the source itself should be C:\FOLDER\MUSIC, or NFS://192.168.x.xxx/MOVIES, etc. A single line.

A library is, or comprises, the total collection of media files that is in each source.

That is the correct way of looking at it, is it not?
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
well, who's to say what's correct way to look at it Wink but yes, that corresponds with my view. which is why i think mixing library and source configuration is a bad idea.
I'd like to see something a little more involved (apologies if I get a bit OT). This may be more skin related, but here goes.

In System Settings you can add menu items (top level or a submenu). For each added menu item you can define the source(s), filter(s), the type(s) of media, display type (file or library), how to display items, scan on start, menu item consisting of submenus, scraper, etc.

IE I set up a main menu item called Movies that consists of submenu items. I then set up a submenu item of SciFi Movies using a source (smb:...), Filter is Sci-Fi, Movies for the type of media, display in library mode with cover flow.

In the context menu you can edit the menu/submenu item settings - basically taking you back to the original screen you defined the menu/submenu item in.

This allows me to set up all my media the way I want and label it so that it makes the most sense for my needs. I can also have a great detail of control on how my collection is displayed. I can have Sci-Fi in library cover flow, while Documentaries are in file mode or any other way I feel makes sense.
Jezz_X Wrote:Well I suggested on irc that if you have no media sources as soon as you enter the media window (click videos/music/pictures) pop up a yes/no dialog with "You have no "Blah" sources set, do you want to go to settings and add some now" then I guess it could jump to jmarshalls window

Its nice and simple for first time users with no sources and doesn't get in the way of current people and also tells them where to add more

Having done basic setups for many ATV's for very non-tech users, I think the pop up for first time additions would be very welcome

I hand a ATV over to them all done up with addon's etc. but since I do the setup at my place, i cannot add their network locations for movies etc

When they call me up and ask how to do it.. I take a minute to compose myself and figure out how to describe it to them, it's not as dead simple intuitive yet.. but I think a pop-up will help tremendously!
It's not planned to mix library and source configuration in any confusing manner, though clearly source configuration is part of library configuration as you can't have a library without some sources. And yes, sources are exactly that: a list of locations, possibly with some settings associated with each one (eg what type of files does this source contain?)

@TugboatBill: See my pull request #350.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Personally I think the add sources dialog should be available right in the movies or videos section. The system settings page is already overkill IMO.

The easiest place would be if you are in 'Movies' section left click and the slide-out (where you choose 'views', 'sort', etc.) would have an 'add source' option.

Same place for 'videos', 'pictures' and 'music'.
dtviewer Wrote:Personally I think the add sources dialog should be available right in the movies or videos section. The system settings page is already overkill IMO.

The easiest place would be if you are in 'Movies' section left click and the slide-out (where you choose 'views', 'sort', etc.) would have an 'add source' option.

Same place for 'videos', 'pictures' and 'music'.

I'd like that personally, problem is (from what I've seen on android) that few find it obvious. Its an incredible powerful way of half-hiding stuff nicely if the user is somewhat used to the application. For a complete newbie however its not obvious that they should press menu (or go to the left or whatever the skin is using). So while great idea, I think it will lead to a bit steeper learning curve.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
put "Add Sources" somewhere obvious0