GT520 over GT430
What will this GT520 give me over my GT430:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-asus-...b-dvi-hdmi

It will be quieter but will it offer any other advantage or maybe disadvantage? Will it need much setting up if I swap them?
If it's just for a HTPC, then I doubt you'll notice any performance difference.

Setup-wise, you'll probably need to reinstall drivers, and that's it.

Depends if you think it's worth the 40 quid to get a slightly quieter machine.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
The 520 may have trouble with HD interlaced content, if that's not a concern, then it should be fine. Here in the states, 1080i is commonplace, especially if PVR is in your sights, which is why I have a 430 w/ fan in my machine.

I have 5 fans in my case and never really hear a peep out of it. Fans are 1 GPU, 1 CPU, 2 case, and 1 powersupply.
Here's a great writeup comparing the two:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4380/discr...s-shootout
Looks like I will be staying with my GT430 for the foreseeable future. Thanks for the responses guys.
1080P wise, both cards will play 1080P flawlessly,,,

You wont see any noticeable performance gain with neither of them,,,

the GT520 can be FanLess Low PRofile

the GT430 has no FanLess Low Profile versions,,, yet

If your into Live TV stuff (1080i content),
the GT520 is not the best choice because of its 48 Stream Processors....
the GT430 has 96 Stream Processors...
these two SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB or
PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430 are more versatile than the 520!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:these two SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB

for LInux, i dont think so,,,
and, an $85 card for what?
playing hardcore games?
im sure i understand this suggestion,,,

bluray Wrote:PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430 are more versatile than the 520!

again, the GT430 has no FanLess Low Profile versions,,,
so the GT520 might come handy here,,,
here are all the info on hd 6570

comparison- GeForce GT 430 vs Radeon HD 6570

linux- Sapphire Radeon HD 6570

fanless- HIS H657H1G Radeon HD 6570
live4ever Wrote:Here's a great writeup comparing the two:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4380/discr...s-shootout

When usage is geared to HTPC - take this review, and all others I've ever read, with a HUGE grain of salt.

These guys always compare feature for feature... which is fine, but RARELY useful in the real world.

What they don't tell you is ... most of what they talk about (review) does not matter in most cases. Most people should not be using most of those features anyway.

If you have decent source material resolution (720p, 1080i, 1080p) of decent quality (most cable, sat, OTA, downloads, etc) then you should not be using most of the post processing features. The ONLY feature you should using is deinterlacing if you source material is interlaced (like 1080i OTA) AND when your TV will not natively display the signal well or you just simply want to gain a bit better picture by deinterlacing.

I have used many NVidia and ATI cards from several generations with HTPC, I no longer waste money on expensive cards - they provide ZERO benefit to HTPC. I have recently run ATI 4350, 5450, 6450, 6670 and on my 65" 1080P TV there is no difference. NVidia is almost as good quality wise, but I prefer ATI for a few reasons - I like the Vector Adaptive deinterlacing a lot (in general I think ATI has better deinterlacing) and ATI chips run a lot cooler.

I currently use an MSI 6450 in my HTPC only because I got it free. I have the 5450 now in my desktop.

Heck, if someone wants my 4350 I'll sell it for $10 plus shipping.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin Wrote:I have used many NVidia and ATI cards from several generations with HTPC, I no longer waste money on expensive cards - they provide ZERO benefit to HTPC. I have recently run ATI 4350, 5450, 6450, 6670 and on my 65" 1080P TV there is no difference. NVidia is almost as good quality wise, but I prefer ATI for a few reasons - I like the Vector Adaptive deinterlacing a lot (in general I think ATI has better deinterlacing) and ATI chips run a lot cooler.

I currently use an MSI 6450 in my HTPC only because I got it free. I have the 5450 now in my desktop.

Heck, if someone wants my 4350 I'll sell it for $10 plus shipping.
if the 6670 (more expensive) has no benefit over 4350 (less expensive) as stated above, why not keep the 4350 and sale the 6670 for more money in your pocket (economic 101)!
bluray Wrote:if the 6670 (more expensive) has no benefit over 4350 (less expensive) as stated above, why not keep the 4350 and sale the 6670 for more money in your pocket (economic 101)!

I did sell the 6670 a while ago. I don't want to mess with the HTPC anymore (tucked behind stuff on a shelf) so I'm not pulling the card in it - so I'm selling the 4350.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
My GT520 has no issues deinterlacing OTA 1080i streams.
Livin Wrote:I did sell the 6670 a while ago. I don't want to mess with the HTPC anymore (tucked behind stuff on a shelf) so I'm not pulling the card in it - so I'm selling the 4350.
i miss out on a good 6670, and that is the only interest me in your list. what do you use for hd playback now?
luna_s Wrote:My GT520 has no issues deinterlacing OTA 1080i streams.

Does it use temporal or full temporal spatial?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Card_status

At least MythTV Wiki says it can do temporal spatial @ 1080i.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GT520 over GT4300