[LIVE] changes to windowed mode after lanuching external application / screen timeout
Question 
Hi there.

I've been playing around with the home.xml for Confluence on XBMCLive and I've managed to add a web browser (Google Chrome) and a SNES emulator (Gens) complete with options on the main menu screen. Here's the code I used:

Google Chrome:
Code:
<item id="25">
<label>INTERNET</label>
<onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(/opt/google/chrome/chrome </onclick>                        
<icon>special://skin/backgrounds/internet.jpg</icon>
<thumb>$INFO[Skin.String(Home_Custom_Back_Music_Folder)]</thumb>
<visible>!Skin.HasSetting(HomeMenuNoMusicButton)</visible>
</item>

Gens:
Code:
<item id="29">
<label>PLAY SNES</label>
<onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(/usr/bin/zsnes)</onclick>
<icon>special://skin/backgrounds/snes.jpg</icon>
</item>

Both applications seem to run just fine, but when I close them down and return back to XBMC, I find that XBMC has changed from FULLSCREEN #1 mode to WINDOWED mode, and for some reason this results in the display going to sleep after about ten minutes unless I manually change the display option back to FULLSCREEN. Just to be clear, the applications appear to run in fullscreen.

Can anyone think of a way around this? I have ideas but I have no idea how or where to implement them. I'm guessing I need to set Chrome/Gens to not mess with XBMC's display settings, or smiliarly set XBMC to not change settings when an external application is launched. Or, possibly set XBMC to not go to sleep when in windowed mode.

Thanks for your help!

I'd be happy to help anyone implement these applications into XBMCLive if they are having trouble. I don't know coding, I've just combined a lot of advise from XBMC and Ubuntu forums.
my guess is that only one app can run in fullscreen, so xbmc has to switch to window mode.

As a workaround you could use a shell script as a wrapper for your external programs, that resets xbmc to fullscreen(via http api or json) after the external program closed.
Ahh, that makes sense. Do you have any more info on how one might go about creating/executing a shell script, or where in the .xmls defines XMBC's display settings?

I'm sorry I don't know more about this.

Thanks.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
/opt/google/chrome/chrome
sleep 1
wget -O /dev/null http://localhost:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuiltIn(SOME ACTION for Fullscreen)

if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
   exit 0
else
   exit 1
fi

make script executeable: chmod +x scriptname
Is there anyway to accomplish a similar thing in Windows 7? I run XBMC in "fullscreen window" mode but after launching some games with Advanced Launcher and then returning to XBMC, XBMC is a small window in the corner of my screen and the only way to get it back to fullscreen is to go to settings and momentarily switch it to "windowed" mode and then back.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] changes to windowed mode after lanuching external application / screen timeout0